• People with diabetes are currently being contacted to receive the Covid-19 vaccine. Should you have any questions about how this might affect your blood sugar levels, then call our Helpline for support and information on managing your diabetes at this time.Updates: Coronavirus and diabetes
  • Are you currently doing less than 30 mins physical activity per week and would like support to help you move more? Get in touch with our Physical Activity Helpline here

Vaccine Type 1

Mel2311

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi all
I’ve noticed a few discussions about vaccine progress already, but is anyone else confused why age 64 and overs are now being invited to book when many clinically vulnerable still haven’t been vaccinated? Don’t get me wrong, the rollout is incredibly impressive, but I have 2 school age children and honestly, I’m terrified for them to go back on 8 March when I haven’t had a vaccine. I’ve had type 1 for 25 years. I just don’t understand why we have to wait to be contacted but the age 64 (group 7) don’t. Any thoughts?

helli

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
The tier system which defines the order the vaccines are offered has 65 and over as tier 5 and clinically vulnerable as tier 6.
There is some overlapping of tiers but tier 5 (65 and over) should be invited before tier 6.
The tiers are based on risk so I am not at all surprised those over 65 maybe invited before someone younger with only diabetes as the increased risk.

Mel2311

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
The tier system which defines the order the vaccines are offered has 65 and over as tier 5 and clinically vulnerable as tier 6.
There is some overlapping of tiers but tier 5 (65 and over) should be invited before tier 6.
The tiers are based on risk so I am not at all surprised those over 65 maybe invited before someone younger with only diabetes as the increased risk.
Thank you. What has confused me though is it’s not just the 65 and over, it is now also 64 year olds too (group 7). This was changed a few days ago on the NHS website

Inka

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Thank you. What has confused me though is it’s not just the 65 and over, it is now also 64 year olds too (group 7). This was changed a few days ago on the NHS website

Group 6s aren’t being booked via the website. Our appointments come via our GPs. You’ll get a text or a call and can then book. I had my vaccine last week after booking via a text from my GP.

SB2015

Forum Host
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
My understanding, in England and this may just be here, is that the mass vaccination centres and pharmacies are dealing with group5, leaving the GPS to invite Group 6 which includes all those who have Diabetes. So here these groups are being done in parallel. Perhaps it allows GP practices to take account of any special measures that they need goalkeeper for the vulnerable.

If you are concerned contact the helpline as shown on the banner at the top of the page, and they will be able to advise.

Mel2311

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Group 6s aren’t being booked via the website. Our appointments come via our GPs. You’ll get a text or a call and can then book. I had my vaccine last week after booking via a text
My understanding, in England and this may just be here, is that the mass vaccination centres and pharmacies are dealing with group5, leaving the GPS to invite Group 6 which includes all those who have Diabetes. So here these groups are being done in parallel. Perhaps it allows GP practices to take account of any special measures that they need goalkeeper for the vulnerable.

If you are concerned contact the helpline as shown on the banner at the top of the page, and they will be able to advise.
Thank you! I’ve had a text to book today and have my vaccine booked for this time next week. Hopefully this is reassuring for anyone else waiting

Freddie1966

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1

I went to the vaccination centre for mine all booked online . I had a 30 second conversation with a doctor, jab then out

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Had mine a few days ago. Very efficient, and no nasty effects to speak of. Not even a sore arm!

Ditto

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
My daughter had her jab yesterday, she's in her late 40s and previously had a heart attack so I can see why she was given it and I'm very relieved. At first she didn't have any side effects but then today at work she had chest and arm pain but we don't know if it's related or not. Very worrying. :(

My sister two years younger than me, also heart attack in the past, hasn't been offered the jab, nor has my other younger sister, both are type 2. I don't know how it all works! My brother has his tomorrow, he's the youngest and also has heart trouble, he's not had an attack but they did once have to stop his heart on purpose and juggle it about a bit. He's supposed to have that again but doesn't want to. I can't blame him!