Use of Pumps could Save £

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have just been given a CGM that runs with my Medtronic pump. Finger stick test was 9.5. Pump read 9.3. I was well pleased with the test & I would encourage any T1 to get one 😎

Great let's all have one Hobie - not that the NHS would fund either a new pump when we aren't due one or a CGMS at all, for most of us! Simply wanting one doesn't get you anything.

Nearly 52yrs of T1, never been unemployed in my life & started work 2 days before my 16th birthday. Had 6 days of CGM before only. Do you think I am entitled to one ? 😉

Nope Hobie. You're doing just fine without. That’s the problem. Or not.

Nearly 52yrs of T1, never been unemployed in my life & started work 2 days before my 16th birthday. Had 6 days of CGM before only. Do you think I am entitled to one ? 😉
Probably- But only when you have finished paying for everyone else's🙂

Given that half the population is of below average intelligence,
And pray where does that fascinating statistic come from and the facts to support it?

And pray where does that fascinating statistic come from and the facts to support it?
It's one of those statistical facts Vince - the average is always the middle point of a set of numbers, with half above and half below 😉

It's one of those statistical facts Vince - the average is always the middle point of a set of numbers, with half above and half below 😉
Interesting reply Northie but it doesn't say average it say half😉 which I believe is 50% or in the cse of the UK approx 35 million people are below averaage intelligence🙂or conversely 35 million above😉

More than one sort of average, Vince! You are probably thinking of the arithmetic mean (add all up, divide by how many), whereas Mike and Northerner are referring to the median, which is a more useful average statistically for many things.

More than one sort of average, Vince! You are probably thinking of the arithmetic mean (add all up, divide by how many), whereas Mike and Northerner are referring to the median, which is a more useful average statistically for many things.
I accept that. It is academic anyway just thought the original post should have clarified that

I love my Pump ! A Medtronic, little problems with kit as well. Much better than 4 injections a day. 🙂

I dunno how they calculate these things. What has the NHS saved this year due to me and Hobie etc being on pumps? - if people still don't control their BG after getting them then it won't save them a penny piece, will it?

Costs (guesses, i don't know the real costs off the top of my head, but just as an example)
Per year
Normal t1 treatment. pumper
Needles £300................Canula box £3000
Insulin £360........,...........£360
Check ups £120...............£120
A&E hypo £750............... £250
Test strips £720...............£720
Glucagon. £150................£30
Total: £ 2400...............£ 4180
Qual. Of
Life years
+Qalys) 0.6 0.78

Incremental cost effectiveness of pump to standard treatment =
4180-2400 = 1780
/. /
0.78-0.6...........0.18

= £9889/ qaly

Ie the new treatment costs £9889 more for every additional year of full quality of life a patuent received using imaginery figures.

I,d have to read the article to work out what the real figures are.

Last edited:
Tech is getting better. 😎. I have just had a sensor fitted to my Medtronic pump. It read 9.5 finger stick test said 9.3. Am pleased its so close 🙂

I tried a £100/ month sensor. It was pretty good except at low BGs.

The theory is of course that the NHS will save money later cos our legs won't drop off and we won't need dialysis - however they haven't saved anything cos my legs won't and my kidneys won't pack in. Not whilst I am controlling my BG anyway! They wouldn't DARE to!

I hope.

That's it.
Also depends on the way they model it, with what assumptions, how certain are they if the result and 1000 technical bits and bobs along those lines as well as what costs the include and disease states
Eg
Fir a short term model
Euglycaemic. <-> feeling low <-> hypo
\. .l. ../.
Dead
/. l. \
Feeling high.<-> Hypergylaemic < ->hosptl

which as you indicated would need to be linked to other events eg nephrectomy, laser therapy, heart attack, strike, amputation...

Hyperglycaemia.

... Ads on TV telling me I can save £20 on something that apparently usually sells for £50, as long as I buy it this week.

I have news for them - I can actually save the whole £50 cos if I didn't need one at £50 yesterday I certainly don't need one at £30 today or tomorrow!

same as not buying a lottery ticket, doesn't actually affect the chances of winning the jackpot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back