Use of Pumps could Save £

Status
Not open for further replies.

HOBIE

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I have just read a report from DRWF that says Pumps could save NHS £22 million. That's in T1. I love them :D. Prof Shaw is also in mag. A good read 😉

Do you haev thereference to the report Hobie? I am not sure who DRWF are otherwise I would have searched myself.

Its a printed article. DRWF are a good bunch who are searching for a cure. In the same Mag there is a storey about Prof Shaw from Newcastle Uni. He is a really nice man who also searching for a cure. NUC Diabetes on web. Good people !

I dunno how they calculate these things. What has the NHS saved this year due to me and Hobie etc being on pumps? - if people still don't control their BG after getting them then it won't save them a penny piece, will it?

I do however know that now it costs the NHS thousands of pounds every year for pump peripherals whereas a couple of £30 boxes of needles a year used to be the only peripheral cost. (I still use virtually the same amount of drugs, test strips, sharps bins etc)

Before I got my first pump more than 12yrs ago I was told that pumps are cheaper to run than injections. 😎

Before I got my first pump more than 12yrs ago I was told that pumps are cheaper to run than injections. 😎

I find that very confusing. I think if that were the case there would be no need for the criteria which control pump approval - the health economics work out, I think, because of the (admittedly modest, but clinically significant) improved outcomes for A1c, but perhaps more so from the improvements to hypoglycaemia and resulting quality of life improvements.

But in purely financial terms I can’t see how anyone can suggest that pumps are cheaper to run.

DRWF are a good outfit. Searching for a cure. I have been to there events for the last 5 plus years & every year it is very interesting. I will say again when I first got my pump I was told they where cheaper ! They are miles more adaptable for the individual & diabetes 🙂

Interestingly the recently published REPOSE trial confirmed that just giving a pump to everyone wouldn't have the same benefits, and would cost a lot more. The potential savings that are being talked about are made by giving access to the people who meet the right criteria for pump use. Pumps cost more than injections by some margin, and for the right return on that investment (in terms of A1c... avoidance of complications... reduction in hypoglycaemia... improved quality of life) they need to be given to the right people at the right time who are equipped to make them work.

Wait till the artificial pancreas comes to this country Medtronic. 😎

I'm 67 now, how long do you reckon my wait will be Hobie? LOL

My hospital do not supply Medtronic pumps, so we certainly won't be first in the queue, will we?

Tech is getting better. 😎. I have just had a sensor fitted to my Medtronic pump. It read 9.5 finger stick test said 9.3. Am pleased its so close 🙂

That’s identical, Hobie, given the accepted range of accuracy of any device.🙂

The trouble with giving everyone an insulin pump is that anyone can get T1. And not everyone has the nous to run a pump to their advantage. Given that half the population is of below average intelligence, the savings quoted are fanciful. The same applies to flash monitoring of BG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back