Updates to NICE guidance for CGM

Status
Not open for further replies.
So that means if its updated in April then CCGs wont apply it until June/July time maybe
I don't know how long it'll take, but I'd guess June/July would be the earliest. I imagine the fastest part will be opening Libre 2 to those that don't currently have it (still around 40%, I think).

I don't know how long it'll take, but I'd guess June/July would be the earliest. I imagine the fastest part will be opening Libre 2 to those that don't currently have it (still around 40%, I think).
i currently self fund Dexcom as I wanted real time CGM so wont be interested in Libre 2.
however in middle of house purchase as first time buyer so not sure how long I can keep self funding for haha
Libre 3 I would not mind going onto as its real time also.

I currently self fund Dexcom as I wanted real time CGM so wont be interested in Libre 2.
As regularly mentioned, Libre 2 can be made to be a CGM with apps such as Diabox and xDrip. So don't discount it for it's lack of functionality compared to Dexcom if it is offered on prescription.

As regularly mentioned, Libre 2 can be made to be a CGM with apps such as Diabox and xDrip. So don't discount it for it's lack of functionality compared to Dexcom if it is offered on prescription.
Would that be as accurate as Dexcom? Is the bubble mini purchased once or do you have to replace it every x days?

Would that be as accurate as Dexcom? Is the bubble mini purchased once or do you have to replace it every x days?
We are all different. I had a trial of Dexcom and found it less accurate than Libre 2 with xDrip.
XDrip allows you to calibrate the ISR to BG algorithm making it (for me) more accurate than native LibreLink app.
And, with Libre 2, there is no need for a Bubble, Miaomiao or any other transmitter because Libre 2 sensors send the readings to the app via Bluetooth and the app determines whether the alarm threshold has been breached.
The "hacks" hijack the Bluetooth signal from the sensor.

Ah did not know that.
So that means if its updated in April then CCGs wont apply it until June/July time maybe
Wake up you are dreaming again 🙂 It's guidance only which I suspect the CCG's will point out on more than one occasion.
Seeing pigs fly would be a bigger probability than getting a CGM out of my CCG :(

Wake up you are dreaming again 🙂 It's guidance only which I suspect the CCG's will point out on more than one occasion.
Seeing pigs fly would be a bigger probability than getting a CGM out of my CCG :(

Well, perhaps a little strong :rofl: but it will certainly be interesting to see how CCGs in different parts of the country react to the new recommendations.

I can remember when libre went on the list of prescribable items initially - but almost none were prescribed until a lot of work was done and the whole allocations of budgets from NHS England was altered!

But yes, as Sue says, there will not be a statutory requirement for the bean counters to provide funding. I am cautiously optmistic that it will help though - at least the evidence of cost effectiveness / health economics has now been evaluated in CGM’s favour, which wasn’t the case with studies published up to 2015. That can only be a good thing IMO 🙂

Last edited:
at least the evidence of cost effectiveness / health economics has now been evaluated in CGMs favour, whuch wasn’t the case with studies published up to 2015. That can only be a good thing IMO

Is that so, know own control has improved greatly since getting libre, more so libre 2 with alarms.

Tech over last decade has been amazing & long time coming, just need non evasive bg testing to come available sometime soon.

I gave Sue's post a thumbs up, not because I like the message but because our CCG has always been backward coming forward to embrace ANY technology that's happened since I moved here in 1998.

Is that so, know own control has improved greatly since getting libre, more so libre 2 with alarms.
Not sure the cost effectiveness assessments have been published (I haven't seen them, anyway), but (as expected) the more widespread prescribing of Libre has produced positive data on incidents of DKA and hypos needing hospital attention, and HbA1c (all reduced, on average with use of Libre). I presume it's easy to price treatments of DKA and hypos, and maybe there's some model for the benefits of HbA1c reduction. Also I presume there's data on average reductions in cost for test strips.

i currently self fund Dexcom as I wanted real time CGM so wont be interested in Libre 2.
however in middle of house purchase as first time buyer so not sure how long I can keep self funding for haha
Libre 3 I would not mind going onto as its real time also.
Yeah. I kept having problems with the libre and using 3rd parts apps make me a llittle bit uneasy about breaking rules so ill be interested at least at sompoint trying it and may be abble to fix if it its goes wrong. Also be interested if they lasted as there were supposed. I know I might not be able to try it.

Not sure the cost effectiveness assessments have been published (I haven't seen them, anyway), but (as expected) the more widespread prescribing of Libre has produced positive data on incidents of DKA and hypos needing hospital attention, and HbA1c (all reduced, on average with use of Libre). I presume it's easy to price treatments of DKA and hypos, and maybe there's some model for the benefits of HbA1c reduction. Also I presume there's data on average reductions in cost for test strips.

Certainly 2 version will see reduction in hypo's & dka because of alarms, dont know cost of hospital stays but sure ambulance call out is around £500.

Certainly 2 version will see reduction in hypo's & dka because of alarms, dont know cost of hospital stays but sure ambulance call out is around £500.
Yes, so it's quite easy to believe Libre is a net saving: reduce test strip usage a bit and an ambulance/paramedic bike call out once in a while. And (especially for DKA) expensive hospital visits (though I presume they're much rarer).

(I presume that was all pretty clear beforehand, too. My guess is the various costs come out of different budgets making it hard just to do the sensible thing and offer Libre to all of us.)

Tech over last decade has been amazing & long time coming, just need non evasive bg testing to come available sometime soon.

Not entirely sure on "non invasive" testing.
But I can see a nano bot technology and an injected sensor and communication to an external reader.

But yes, as Sue says, there will not be a statutory requirement for the bean counters to provide funding. I am cautiously optmistic that it will help though - at least the evidence of cost effectiveness / health economics has now been evaluated in CGM’s favour, which wasn’t the case with studies published up to 2015. That can only be a good thing IMO 🙂
That is interesting that they are taking into account health economics when doing the studies. I think it goes further than DKA/ambulance call outs though... the long term has to be taken into account too... blindness, amputations etc. If all those can be avoided in addition to the ambulances/hospital visits etc. then it has to be win-win.

the long term has to be taken into account too... blindness, amputations etc.
Those are surely trickier to cost, but yes, I'd have thought reductions (on average) in HbA1c ought to be worth something. Similarly, many of us who use them find them to make life easier (to the extent that we were willing to pay for them) which also ought to be valued (in terms of reducing diabetic stress).

Yes, so it's quite easy to believe Libre is a net saving: reduce test strip usage a bit and an ambulance/paramedic bike call out once in a while. And (especially for DKA) expensive hospital visits (though I presume they're much rarer).

(I presume that was all pretty clear beforehand, too. My guess is the various costs come out of different budgets making it hard just to do the sensible thing and offer Libre to all of us.)
However I offen found I needed to double check with a finger pick when I had a libre thef hadnt failed yet but because it would be hit and miss sometimes really acurte other times far out that's while they weree working. The things inserts me about dexcom is the dropping fast alerms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back