Unprticle job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayray119

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
She/Her
I was talking about it today. My job is active gernally however I can't predict exactly how active until I do the shift or even 1 part of the shift to another. This makes it a bit tricky to know how much to adjust by

I was talking about it today. My job is active gernally however I can't predict exactly how active until I do the shift or even 1 part of the shift to another. This makes it a bit tricky to know how much to adjust by
Hi,

I totally get what you mean - I find the whole thing of injecting (but also sometimes dosing) very tricky at work!

What is your basal and insulin:carb ratios currently set at? Do you find yourself frequently having hypos/hypers at work? Do these hypos/hypers tend to be caused by certain activities at work or after lunch break for example?

Considering those things first is a good starting point to help you consider whether either the basal or bolus or both need adjusting and by how much.

If you think that these need adjusting, do it gradually and avoid making big changes too quickly eg changing the ratio by only 2 grams at a time for example or the basal by half a unit.

Hope that helps 🙂

Hi,

I totally get what you mean - I find the whole thing of injecting (but also sometimes dosing) very tricky at work!

What is your basal and insulin:carb ratios currently set at? Do you find yourself frequently having hypos/hypers at work? Do these hypos/hypers tend to be caused by certain activities at work or after lunch break for example?

Considering those things first is a good starting point to help you consider whether either the basal or bolus or both need adjusting and by how much.

If you think that these need adjusting, do it gradually and avoid making big changes too quickly eg changing the ratio by only 2 grams at a time for example or the basal by half a unit.

Hope that helps 🙂
I haven't actually had a hypo actually on shift yet snince going back after 2 months(only been 4 so far I think). I had one mild after work. And I tend have them the morning after I a very long shift(so next time im going to to take some of breakfast the day after). My basal insulin is livermir 4 in morning and 4 in morning(i used to be on trisbra but what a nightmare that would be at work.). My insulin to carb radio is 1:15. I work it out to 1 to 15 and take a bit off.) I think ajusting my morning lifetime will depend of the time im working(There no set times just when the shifts are available).

Hi,

What is your basal and insulin:carb ratios currently set at? Do you find yourself frequently having hypos/hypers at work? Do these hypos/hypers tend to be caused by certain activities at work or after lunch
That was kind of my point there aren't certain actives. My shifts differ some shifts or parts of the shift will require me to stand there others will require me to lift cones back and forth and others will require me to serval laps of a carpark but I won'tinnow before hand.

Sounds really tricky @rayray119

I guess all you can do is adjust doses for a sort of minimum level of effort, and then make sure you keep a good stock of hypo treatments and snack top-ups to keep you going?

, and then make sure you keep a good stock of hypo treatments and snack top-ups to keep you going?
I Always go a bit over bored on that ffroin this was me preparing for one shift.

Attachments

• 20220114_214106.jpg
    20220114_214106.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
well thinking about i'm not doing to badly so far Wednesday when I ate on the one way I was 11.1 well i that would have been usually 2.5 units plus a half unit correction I took half a unit of that dose. which ended up being my usually dose tested a couple of overs later was 5.9 so decided to eat. tested in my break was 6.2 deiced to eat some(perhaps a little too much) yes did.to eat some) when I tested before working home I was 12 but I wasn't too bothered because from experience I've dropped on the walk home and yep I was 8.2 when I got in. yesterday even though I was 9.2(i did test before and after the 40-minute walk to the pickup point when eating on the way up i still took half a unit one I tested a few times on shift yesterday(too of these tests I did end up using an up a fair few strips because of the cold) decided to eat something on a 6.8 as i figured from previous tests I was might have been handing down after that I didn't end up testing until I got in then and I was 7.6

Last edited:
When I have an active day I reduce my evening Levemir by 2 units and then adjust it back up the following day or maybe just 1 unit increase the following day and the other one the next. Of course if I have another active day I knock another couple of units off. Once I get down to 0 units on a night and I am still getting hypos then I start to reduce the morning dose a little. My evening basal dose constantly needs adjustment to cope with my variable lifestyle and I can go from 6 units at the start of the week down to zero if I have several consecutive days of hard physical activity and then back up to 4 or 5units within the space of 10 days or a fortnight. It is very rare that I have the same dose of basal insulin on an evening and for me that is the beauty of Levemir in that it allows me to adjust the evening dose according to what I have been up to during the day. Doing the DAFNE course gave me the confidence to adjust my basal doses more freely and find a better balance. Some nights it is a bit of a guessing game but within a reasonably safe range.... So some nights I will struggle to decide between 3 and 4 units and then I have a half unit pen to go for the middle ground. Other times I can't decide between 2 and 2.5. If I go with 2.5 then I have some cheese or peanut butter or meat before bed to help stabilize my levels through the night, but it is probably a better rule of thumb to go with the lower dose if you are unsure. It all comes with experience and confidence. It also helps when your honeymoon period has come to an end and things are a little more predictable. I do wonder if that is why they tend to delay referral onto DAFNE courses until you have 6 months in and perhaps why they are reluctant to give pumps to the newly diagnosed.

When I have an active day I reduce my evening Levemir by 2 units and then adjust it back up the following day or maybe just 1 unit increase the following day and the other one the next. Of course if I have another active day I knock another couple of units off. Once I get down to 0 units on a night and I am still getting hypos then I start to reduce the morning dose a little. My evening basal dose constantly needs adjustment to cope with my variable lifestyle and I can go from 6 units at the start of the week down to zero if I have several consecutive days of hard physical activity and then back up to 4 or 5units within the space of 10 days or a fortnight. It is very rare that I have the same dose of basal insulin on an evening and for me that is the beauty of Levemir in that it allows me to adjust the evening dose according to what I have been up to during the day. Doing the DAFNE course gave me the confidence to adjust my basal doses more freely and find a better balance. Some nights it is a bit of a guessing game but within a reasonably safe range.... So some nights I will struggle to decide between 3 and 4 units and then I have a half unit pen to go for the middle ground. Other times I can't decide between 2 and 2.5. If I go with 2.5 then I have some cheese or peanut butter or meat before bed to help stabilize my levels through the night, but it is probably a better rule of thumb to go with the lower dose if you are unsure. It all comes with experience and confidence. It also helps when your honeymoon period has come to an end and things are a little more predictable. I do wonder if that is why they tend to delay referral onto DAFNE courses until you have 6 months in and perhaps why they are reluctant to give pumps to the newly diagnosed.
thank you with my evening dose i consider how long the shift is and how active its been. yesterday I only knocked half a unit off because the actual shift was only 4 hours(however the first half of that I did spend running around a carpark parking cars) but I should have considering the travel time as well. I'm actually sometimes taking my livermir half way though a shift. its more that I can't predict the exact activeness of it until but like i said not doing too badly so far. just need make sure i have parellty off snacks on me. tomorrow I'm getting up at 6.30am to leave the house at 7.30.

I defiantly couldn't imagine being on trisbra for this job now. hopefully there not going to suggest going back on it.

when i asked to be refered to danffe they did tell me the reason they didn't tend to over it until 6 months was because of the honey moan period however I they might be a long wait so technically they could refer before because it might be that time by the time it comes

If they do suggest going back to Tresiba, you have every right to refuse providing you can explain why.
There is no way I would accept Tresiba unless it was the only basal insulin available to keep me alive. I love my Levemir and I am so grateful for it's flexibility.

You gradually learn how to fit your diabetes management around whatever your daily life throws at you. It is important to be flexible and accept that you are looking for a best fit, not perfect. If you have to inject on the bus going to work then that shouldn't be a problem.... or when you get to work. I set an alarm on my phone to remind me. If I may still be active after my evening dose..... which wasn't a problem until recently when I needed to start taking it earlier instead of bedtime..... I just top up my levels a bit higher before bed if I need to. It just needs a bit of thought and a bit of guesswork. Some nights I genuinely haven't a clue how much Levemir I need and it is purely guesswork and intuition. I have learned not to worry about it. When I get it right I am chuffed to bits, when I get it wrong I try to figure out why so that I can do better the next night.

thank you with my evening dose i consider how long the shift is and how active its been. yesterday I only knocked half a unit off because the actual shift was only 4 hours(however the first half of that I did spend running around a carpark parking cars) but I should have considering the travel time as well. I'm actually sometimes taking my livermir half way though a shift. its more that I can't predict the exact activeness of it until but like i said not doing too badly so far. just need make sure i have parellty off snacks on me. tomorrow I'm getting up at 6.30am to leave the house at 7.30.
I can now see why you need to do so much testing if you are driving cars. You had not mentioned before part of your job involved driving.
Are you responsible for your own insurance or is it your employer. I assume you have informed the DVLA that you are on insulin.

If they do suggest going back to Tresiba, you have every right to refuse providing you can explain why.
There is no way I would accept Tresiba unless it was the only basal insulin available to keep me alive. I love my Levemir and I am so grateful for it's flexibility.

You gradually learn how to fit your diabetes management around whatever your daily life throws at you. It is important to be flexible and accept that you are looking for a best fit, not perfect. If you have to inject on the bus going to work then that shouldn't be a problem.... or when you get to work. I set an alarm on my phone to remind me. If I may still be active after my evening dose..... which wasn't a problem until recently when I needed to start taking it earlier instead of bedtime..... I just top up my levels a bit higher before bed if I need to. It just needs a bit of thought and a bit of guesswork. Some nights I genuinely haven't a clue how much Levemir I need and it is purely guesswork and intuition. I have learned not to worry about it. When I get it right I am chuffed to bits, when I get it wrong I try to figure out why so that I can do better the next night.
yes, i've been told i should be taking it when I get up and then go to bed(well diffnally people say something differn't things) but other diabetics have said difennrly and if i did to that i would get a massive jump in the evening as i was i might end going to bed at 1 or 2 o'clock in the morning sometimes.

I can now see why you need to do so much testing if you are driving cars. You had not mentioned before part of your job involved driving.
Are you responsible for your own insurance or is it your employer. I assume you have informed the DVLA that you are on insulin.
i'm not driving cars when i referred to travelling I meant being driven up. however as my job is active and I'm not usually going to notice myself dropping, I'm keeping an eye on things to see when I might need to eat something.

i'm not driving cars when i referred to travelling I meant being driven up. however as my job is active and I'm not usually going to notice myself dropping, I'm keeping an eye on things to see when I might need to eat something.
oh sorry no when i said parking cars i meant directeing cars where to park as this was a carpark with no marked spaces

yeah if i get it wrong i can always eat or give myself insulin later.

oh sorry no when i said parking cars i meant directeing cars where to park as this was a carpark with no marked spaces
I assumed you meant parking people's cars as in an airport parking when you just leave your car and they then park it somewhere and then would bring it back when you come to collect it.

I assumed you meant parking people's cars as in an airport parking when you just leave your car and they then park it somewhere and then would bring it back when you come to collect it.
No sorry for the miss leading post I work all over the place at events stewarding/car parks stadiums festivals etc

I've not actually had to change to get those background tests done now I'm picking up a few shifts and the next day the incase activity might still be there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back