Type1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for finding time to do this….
My GB on Saturday night while asleep was12…. All night… have no idea why…. And then i get cross!! If only i stuffed my face with something nice..
I do wonder how hard it must have been without libre in those days and i very much feel for kids and young people… with type1…
You have pump?

Good to see the research paper that Bubbleblower posted as it makes sense that if your Beta cells are producing some insulin that you need less background insulin and generally you should find it easier to maintain a higher time in range.
This is sometimes called the “ honeymoon period” and most newly diagnosed people will have this to some extent but how long it lasts and its exact effects will vary from person to person.
As you say, honeymoon period varies from person to person. What many people find with Type 1 is that the home period is not a time where they “find it easier to maintain a higher time in range”. It is not uncommon for dying beta cells to jump back into life after the rest from the assistance provided by injected insulin. Unfortunately, this resurrection is total unpredictable making TIR unpredictable.
Suggesting otherwise can mislead someone who is newly diagnosed and cause them to feel failure when they do not achieve higher time in range.

I agree with @helli, I was pleased to see the end of the honeymoon period. It was unpredictable at a time when I was just trying to learn how my body responded to different situations, so seeing patterns was almost impossible and it made things much more difficult, not easier, but I appreciate that there are some people who do find it easier, it very much depends on the individual and their body and their circumstances.

My GB on Saturday night while asleep was12…. All night… have no idea why…. And then i get cross!! If only i stuffed my face with something nice..

Could it be you had something slow release or a particularly large meal? Things like pasta can release well into the night, or if you are eating low carb, protein will release slowly causing your levels to rise steadily between 2 and 10 hours after eating. If your overnight levels usually drop because your basal is a bit high, this protein release can counteract that to leave you with a steady high reading.

I generally follow a low carb way of eating because it suits me, but I do have to inject for protein release, so it is not necessarily easier and means more injections.

Yes I use an insulin pump. Another bit of technology BUT you need to learn very well the subtle nuances of your own body and its diabetes, before contemplating asking about one. Much like people - the different types & models all have their own idiosyncracies!

You have pump?

I agree with @helli, I was pleased to see the end of the honeymoon period. It was unpredictable at a time when I was just trying to learn how my body responded to different situations, so seeing patterns was almost impossible and it made things much more difficult, not easier, but I appreciate that there are some people who do find it easier, it very much depends on the individual and their body and their circumstances.

Could it be you had something slow release or a particularly large meal? Things like pasta can release well into the night, or if you are eating low carb, protein will release slowly causing your levels to rise steadily between 2 and 10 hours after eating. If your overnight levels usually drop because your basal is a bit high, this protein release can counteract that to leave you with a steady high reading.

I generally follow a low carb way of eating because it suits me, but I do have to inject for protein release, so it is not necessarily easier and means more injections.
All i had was yogurt kiwi and keto granola…. I did not realise you need insulin for protein.
I eat very small amount of carbs and between meals i eat cheese or eggs avocado….

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back