Type1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stane

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
She/Her
Hi everyone, just joined the forum, i got diagnosed with type 1 in November, ot was a shock, lots of tears( age53), the thought of doing injections for ever was overwhelming…. 4 months on , still feel very frustrated and like is beginning ( injections are easier).
I have few questions if someone can please explain, is it possible to be in range most of the time?
Do you spike over and how long for is ok…
What average glucose is good?
I eat nothing bad, and get very cross when i spike bad… sometimes i just dont get it….
Anyway sorry to go on and on
Thank uou

Welcome @Stane 🙂 A Type 1 diagnosis can be overwhelming and it does take a while to get used to, so I think you’re doing well.

One thing we say to new Type 1s is that perfection is impossible. If you try to get perfect numbers all the time, you’ll fail - and drive yourself mad.

70% time in range counts as excellent. That’s because it’s hard doing the job of a pancreas. If you’re managing that, you’re doing great 🙂

Thank you for finding time to replay, i know only one person with type1… who i have seen couple times when i was in despair… i think this forum will help.

I’ve had Type 1 30 years and I find this forum absolutely invaluable @Stane It’s not just the shared knowledge, it’s the support, and being amongst people who really understand.

Too right. And you get it figured out and then what used to work stops working for no reason...still kerps you on your toes.
It does get easier, by the way!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Stane, one thing I will say is you are not alone. I was diagnosed 3 months ago and I've just turned 25. Didn't see this coming. Just be patient with yourself - I know it's easier said than done but for anyone who tells you otherwise just block the noise and focus with what is best for you because only you know this truly!

Hi Stane, one thing I will say is you are not alone. I was diagnosed 3 months ago and I've just turned 25. Didn't see this coming. Just be patient with yourself - I know it's easier said than done but for anyone who tells you otherwise just block the noise and focus with what is best for you because only you know this truly!
Hi
Am so sorry, you are so young to be dealing with this… i am not going to lie it absolutely hit me hard, am trying to do the best… we will get there

Too right. And you get it figured out and then what used to work stops working for no reason...still kerps you on your toes.
It does get easier, by the way!
Yes, i stick with same food so i know it will work, but it doesn’t always, and sometimes for no reason things are bad…
Thank you

Hi everyone, just joined the forum, i got diagnosed with type 1 in November, ot was a shock, lots of tears( age53), the thought of doing injections for ever was overwhelming…. 4 months on , still feel very frustrated and like is beginning ( injections are easier).
I have few questions if someone can please explain, is it possible to be in range most of the time?
Do you spike over and how long for is ok…
What average glucose is good?
I eat nothing bad, and get very cross when i spike bad… sometimes i just dont get it….
Anyway sorry to go on and on
Thank uou
Hi Stane. Welcome.
Tears, anger, why me? Injections forever. All those feelings, but it does get easier and this is a great place to find help and support. I’m just a couple of months further down this track than you (and quite a bit older!)
Please don’t be sorry for asking and sharing.

Also the longer the diabetes duration the lower the C-peptide the harder to achieve the same TIR.

Because you are recently diagnosed you should aim for well over 70% TIR, if your C-peptide (ask for a test) is above 0,17 nmol/l aim for at least 90%.
But of course, despite 60 years of experience, I am not an expert.

View attachment 29839
Wow, looks like I don’t know much….
Not sure what my C peptide is…. Have been90% precent most of the time( very limited carb intake, only good staff, honestly am hungry lots and trying to put weight on, so hard! I could eat my dinner twice! But eating small amount of carbs can sort of get insulin right if i double it, doesnt work…
All you need is high GB while asleep and bad day and you are down to 80% very quickly..

Yes, you are not alone, I was diagnosed end of Jan 24 aged 60 what a shock. I only knew 1 person with type 1 and reached out, they put me onto the local diabetes uk support group and with the help of them and the 'guys' on here I am climbing the very steep learning curve. Ask them anything, they are brilliant and endlessly understanding of us scared newbies.

I doubt if any NHS surgery or clinic in the U.K. would be ready to do a c-peptide where the actual diagnosis is fairly clear already. They are expensive, and need an expert to interpret them correctly.

I was diagnosed at the age of 51,@Stane . I don’t think I'd ever get as flat a line as the one shown in Bubbleblowers post. We are all different, and my blood glucose happens to do a slide downwards as soon as my head hits the pillow, and then rises again towards dawn, so my Libre graph always looks like a slack washing line overnight. Then there are all the times when life gets in the way…you eat out and daren’t take your insulin til the food actually appears, (just in case there’s a delay in the kitchen), so you get an upwards spike until it sorts itself out, or you take more exercise than you’d planned, and find yourself heading for hypoland, or you’re coming down with a cold, etc, etc.

I normally get 80% time in range, if life is on a fairly even keel, but this dips to 70% if I’m ill or on holiday. It’s improved as I've gone on, I’m now 17 years in, and got more used to when my body is going to throw a curveball, but it still catches me out quite often, by doing something unexpected.
Hi
O my line is like yo-yo… i might have had handfull of days that is strait…Most i learned was really by reading and doing experiments on me… help from diabetes team was poor… i do very much hope that i will know more by the end of the year..
Thank you so much

Not sure what my C peptide is…. Have been90% precent most of the time( very limited carb intake, only good staff, honestly am hungry lots and trying to put weight on, so hard! I could eat my dinner twice! But eating small amount of carbs can sort of get insulin right if i double it, doesnt work…
All you need is high GB while asleep and bad day and you are down to 80% very quickly..

Keep going @Stane

You sound like you are doing an amazing job!

Try to see TIR as a useful marker / guide, not a stick to beat you with.

As Partha Kar says, 60% can be an achievement for many. Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.

Your personal experiments will make you the world expert in your own individual diabetes. And you’ll develop your own workarounds and strategies where the illusion of ‘diabetes maths’ goes off-track.

Keep going!

Not sure what my C peptide is…
Not knowing what your c peptide is is not a sign of ignorance. As others have said, there is little point in a c peptide test when your diagnosis is confirmed.
I have never been tested and had Type 1 for 20 years. I am still learning about Type 1 but know enough to know when something like that is unnecessary.
We can learn from books and forums and research papers (and YouTube videos from "gurus") but the important thing to learn is you and your diabetes.
Take your time, DO NOT expect consistency or straight lines (apart from those of people who want to show off) but take some time to see patterns in the ups and downs. A diary (or annotations on your Libre app) can help understand if you always get a high when you eat pasta, always get a low when you go for a walk, see a straighter line when you drink wine compared with beer, etc (these are all examples not necessarily what you will see for yourself).

90% is very very good!

Morning Stane and sorry you have had to join the club and your are doing very well.
Good to see the research paper that Bubbleblower posted as it makes sense that if your Beta cells are producing some insulin that you need less background insulin and generally you should find it easier to maintain a higher time in range.
This is sometimes called the “ honeymoon period” and most newly diagnosed people will have this to some extent but how long it lasts and its exact effects will vary from person to person.
Similarly as others have said individual “ targets” are very specific to one’s own situation depending on Type,how long we have had diabetes,our age at diagnosis plus a whole host of other considerations etc.
It depends on how you want to live your life in terms of lifestyle as well as how your body responds but you seem to be doing really well and making necessary adjustments to give you the best chance of managing your condition.
It is an overwhelming diagnosis and involves significant changes but it seeks like you have come to terms with it and doing really well.

Stane - considering I was diagnosed Type 1 in 1972 when the only way of home testing BG was boiling up urine in a test tube and seeing what colour it was after boiling, this 'Time in Range' business was neither available nor possible - but in any case I certainly don't worry about it.

I'm here to tell you that you 100% will not suddenly drop dead if you don't happen to be in ideal range. I am currently 70% for 7 days, 14 days and 1 month. But 3 months - 63%.

Question - what do you mean about needing your BG to be higher when you go to bed? If you actually need that, so as not to hypo - then that indicates too much insulin, NOT too high BG.

Stane - considering I was diagnosed Type 1 in 1972 when the only way of home testing BG was boiling up urine in a test tube and seeing what colour it was after boiling, this 'Time in Range' business was neither available nor possible - but in any case I certainly don't worry about it.

I'm here to tell you that you 100% will not suddenly drop dead if you don't happen to be in ideal range. I am currently 70% for 7 days, 14 days and 1 month. But 3 months - 63%.

Question - what do you mean about needing your BG to be higher when you go to bed? If you actually need that, so as not to hypo - then that indicates too much insulin, NOT too high BG.
Thank you for finding time to do this….
My GB on Saturday night while asleep was12…. All night… have no idea why…. And then i get cross!! If only i stuffed my face with something nice..
I do wonder how hard it must have been without libre in those days and i very much feel for kids and young people… with type1…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back