Type 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
what in 1979?????

Oops! 😱 Slap on the wrist for not reading properly! I was meaning back in the early 20's. My thought being that if Sam's right, and they've known the difference from as far back as before the 20th century, then T1 would be really easy to identify, but since T2 wouldn't be as life threatening in the short term if untreated, it might be more difficult to diagnose?

thank you everyone back to the original question
....what im trying to find out is at 15/16 in 1979/80....(if you do your maths you can all work out my age) i was tested for diabetes...what i was trying to find out was would they be looking for T1 or T2 or both in those days
...i suspect i have been on the 'cusp' so to speak for years

There was knowledge at that time of the different causes of diabetes, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't called T1 and T2. It's only recently (historically), I believe, that insulin resistance is starting to become more common in younger people. If they were just testing your blood then I don't think they would have been able to determine the difference - you need something like a C-peptide test to see if you are still producing insulin.

If you had symptoms, but they did not become quickly acute (like DKA) that would suggest Type 2. Younger people tend to go downhill very quickly if Type 1 whereas adults can have a slow beta-cell decline (as in LADA)

There was knowledge at that time of the different causes of diabetes, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't called T1 and T2. It's only recently (historically), I believe, that insulin resistance is starting to become more common in younger people. If they were just testing your blood then I don't think they would have been able to determine the difference - you need something like a C-peptide test to see if you are still producing insulin.

If you had symptoms, but they did not become quickly acute (like DKA) that would suggest Type 2. Younger people tend to go downhill very quickly if Type 1 whereas adults can have a slow beta-cell decline (as in LADA)

thank you just as i suspected i showed all the symptoms at 16 of T2 ....interesting stuff
thank you all

1959 Two major types of diabetes are recognized: type 1 (insulin-dependent) diabetes and type 2 (non-insulin-dependent) diabetes.

apparently

just want to thank you all for your replys last night and your support. I am going to my GP today as i need more 'happy' pills and my ears are bad again...im going to talk about this to him and see if i can possibly see a diabetic counciller to chat things through with as i think it might help
thank you forum
amx

At around age 16 now they would likely be looking at type 1 at anyone with diabetes symptoms. Not many people of that age are diagnosed with type 2 at all. But in the 70's-80's they would more likely have thought that you were too old to get type 1.
I even met a guy about a year ago who had been diagnosed type 2 by some GP and he was 18, he then got DKA. Some GP's really are useless.

This is all really interesting. My Great-Grandfather was diabetic and i'd wondered if he'd been type 1 or 2. Chances are, i guess, this could have been in the 1920s or 30s when he was first diagnosed, so he probably didn't know himself. I don't think people had discovered sulphonylurea drugs until fairly recently (after all, penicillin wasn't discovered until after WW2) so until treatments other than Insulin were discovered i don't suppose that anybody was concerned about what type you had. Back in Harry's day, i don't supposed you were diagnosed with diabetes until you were showing enough sugar in your urine to be able to taste it (yeah, urk...doctors really had a nasty job back then huh?), you were probably told not to eat anything remotely sweet and if that didn't work, then you got given insulin injections. My Grandad (deffinately Type 2) has mentioned in the past that his dad had taken daily insulin injections, using what i'd consider to be fairly primitive equipment. He must have been lucky to have gotten treatment at all.

Rachel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back