Type 2 with insulin - anyone else using this ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you, hope you’re not having too many side affects?
No nothing as yet. A switch was made to Metformin prolonged release after taking Metformin for a couple of weeks, tummy issues but everything is fine now, thank you. A reading of 8.7 this am despite one of 12.2 yesterday. So its going in the right direction.. : - ))

Hi I am now on 1,500 mg Metformin plus between 12-20 Novarapid and 9 Lantus once a day. I have had a negative GAD antibody test but fit the profile for T1 at onset. My DSN has put me on the Metformin recently which I am increasing over a 4 week period in an effort to decrease Novarapid. I have found there is some effect but not much in the morning. If I eat carbs it will go well into double figures without Novarapid. Yet in the evening the Metformin seems to have an effect. My time in range has improved overall however, that is the range of 4-10 mmol. Next week my Metformin will be increased again to 1000 in the morning and same at night. I believe that is the maximum?
I am not confident that I will be off Insulin though even at that level. What type I am is still a mystery to me but my DSN is leaning toward T2 as Metformin does appear to have an effect. One thing that has helped me has been participating in a Freestyle Libre trial for free. Without a monitor I would have struggled to get the results I have. In my interpretation of NICE guidelines I should be prescribed but my hospital takes a different view.
So latest results of the Metformin following my recent DSN meeting. I am now on 1 g in the morning and 1 in the evening both with meals. I have been told to reduce and then cease insulin. Lantus is now 5 u and no bolus at all. As I have the Libre I can see the spike and hear the alarm at breakfast when it hits 14 BG although it does then reduce on its own to around 8. The effect after lunch is not as high but does hit 12. For breakfast I had 30g carb (porridge) for lunch tuna on low carb bread. I spoke to the DSN today and they don’t seem concerned by these spikes? Are they harmless? I was told If I was using a finger prick before each meal then I would not see them …..It is early days so will see how it goes but they did suggest they could introduce Empagliflozin so not run out options yet.

An update The good news is that since using 20u of insulin on waking the high readings have reduce from 19 to between 8- 9.9 generally. The not so good news is Ive had reading of below 4 before lunch (falling down from 10 - 12+ after breakfast). No symptoms and managed with either jelly babies plus lunch or Appletise plus lunch. Readings rise safely within 1/2 hr. Im sending reading to my GP so shes in the loop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back