Type 2 insulin or low carb/keto?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I think it was natural to phrase things fairly cautiously in the early results, but more work has been undertaken since, and the language has become bolder as changes have been observed in some subjects as to their insulin production and response (with talk of ‘rebooting’ beta cells).

This is from the paper:
This study demonstrates that β cell ability to recover long-term function persists after diagnosis, changing the previous paradigm of irreversible loss of β cell function in type 2 diabetes.

Further work is taking place with RETUNE, which I think studies the effect of weight loss in those who would not normally be identified as being particularly overweight

It’s still research which is ongoing, but the results certainly seem to have caused a bit of a stir.
We’ll still have to wait 40 years or so to see if any of this plays out long term. Far too early to claim on the basis of this that T2 is not progressive.

Hello @Kkayy - so in a couple of weeks you've got your blood glucose levels down to under 7 by eating low carb - and still the dietician wants to sabotage that, and others want to put you on insulin - yeah, right - that seems like a sensible thing to do.....
I'm just over 5 years from diagnosis and I went low carb from that moment. My Hba1c was no longer in the diabetic range after 80 days and down to the top end of normal at 6 months. So much for it being a progressive illness.
I've lost weight, become more active and am growing older disgracefully.
At some point in the future my pancreas might fail, my thyroid did a long time ago - though it seems to be reviving a bit at the moment so nothing is certain. If at some point I need insulin I'll start to use it, but so far I am medication free for the type two, and perfectly happy to eat a low carb diet for as long as it works for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back