Type 2 for 12 years now taking insulin too

Status
Not open for further replies.

hobnobrob2000

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi everybody,

I'm Rob and I'm 55 years old. I have been diagnosed as Type 2 for around 12 years but have been taking insulin for the last couple of months due to a dramatic rise in my HbA1c from 55 to 111. I was taken off 2 x 1000mg of Sukkarto ( Slow release metformin ) when the reading was 55, due to almost constant, and very bad diarrhoea. I was then placed back onto 1 Gliclazide ( my initial treatment at the beginning of my diagnosis) , quickly turning into 4 Gliclazide a day, but this is when my levels went higher. I was finally put onto NovoMix 30 twice a day and 1 x 500mg slow release metformin and my levels are a lot lower on a daily basis. I'm due my next HbA1c on the 12th of this month so I'm hoping things are a lot better now.

Mmm...thats a high a1c. And a sudden, unexplained rise? Have they tested for t1? If not, i'd suggest they do those tests. What are your insulin doses in units? Also, do you have a way of testing for ketones? With an a1c in the 100s its best you test your blood sugars and ketone levels as if high it could lead to dka

Mmm...thats a high a1c. And a sudden, unexplained rise? Have they tested for t1? If not, i'd suggest they do those tests. What are your insulin doses in units? Also, do you have a way of testing for ketones? With an a1c in the 100s its best you test your blood sugars and ketone levels as if high it could lead to dka
I have had many blood tests and even an abdominal ultrasound scan and they can find nothing wrong. Keytones showed trace only so nothing there either. I'm currently on 7-8 units in the morning and 10-14 in the evening dependant on what I'm eating. If I take anymore then I get a lot of hypo's. I was getting hypo's daily at the start but now I've adjusted my doses there haven't been any since May 6th. The nurse told me that many peoples sugar levels mysteriously rose after the Covid pandemic. I did ask on my last phone call if I'm now type 1 but was told no, still type 2 on insulin.

Sounds lile you've had all the right checks- thats good to hear!

Sounds lile you've had all the right checks- thats good to hear!
Yes it's still a mystery but I'm more than happy to use the novo mix, knowing that I'm not going to be in the high 20's or above 30 after eating. I'm using the agamatrix wireless blood meter as it syncs my readings straight to their app on my phone. I love this as I'm able to record the insulin and also what I've eaten, which is really helping me to get my doses right. It's still a learning curve though but I'm getting there for sure

Forgive me if this is already obvious, but Type 1 is almost the opposite of Type 2 - not a usually a progression from Type 2 since Type 2's normally produce huge amounts of insulin to combat their insulin resistance while Type 1's don't produce insulin due to their immune systems attacking the Beta cells (in the pancreas) which produce insulin.
So unless specific Blood tests have been done for Type 1 Diabetes, the nurse will just blithely assume you are a Type 2.

I believe the names of the 2 tests are the GAD and the C-Peptide.

Hi hobnobrob2000, welcome to the forum.

That is quite a jump, hopefully things will improve upon your next test but if not, it might be worth asking for a second opinion on being type 1 and or whether they may be other factors that could be impacting your numbers.

It's helpful to have as much info as possible so don't be afraid to pursue further assistance. In the mean times, we've got some really helpful threads on the forum so do have a look around and let us know if we can help in any way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back