• People with diabetes are currently being contacted to receive the Covid-19 vaccine. Should you have any questions about how this might affect your blood sugar levels, then call our Helpline for support and information on managing your diabetes at this time.Updates: Coronavirus and diabetes
  • Are you currently doing less than 30 mins physical activity per week and would like support to help you move more? Get in touch with our Physical Activity Helpline here

Type 2 Explained

Woodside

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi All,
With type 2 you seem to produce insulin, but your body doesn't use it properly. So if you lose weight & change your lifestyle. Will this help it to work correctly? If you do all you can to help yourself, Are you less likely to need medication, or even go on to develop Type 2. Thanks

adrian1der

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Yes that's correct. Exercise, weight loss and diet can all help you manage your diabetes

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi All,
With type 2 you seem to produce insulin, but your body doesn't use it properly. So if you lose weight & change your lifestyle. Will this help it to work correctly? If you do all you can to help yourself, Are you less likely to need medication, or even go on to develop Type 2. Thanks
I think the recent trails done in Newcastle , found only about 50 % of their participants, managed to reverse. Losing weight should help.

Anitram

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi All,
Some recent research suggests that a fatty pancreas loses its shape and this degrades insulin production, and that losing sufficient weight to rid the pancreas of this fat can return it to its proper shape and function.

DaveB

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
In general excess weight results in insulin resistance due to fat deposits throughout the body. Get that down by way of a low-carb diet and exercise should help a lot. BTW If you are having 'IBS' with standard Metformin do ask for the Slow Release SR version

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi All,

Broadly speaking that does describe some forms of T2, but in some senses T2 is more of an umbrella term for 70+ conditions, all slightly different!

Some T2s are normal weight or underweight at diagnosis. Some are TOFI (thin outside fat inside) with visceral fat around their organs but not much elsewhere. Some have less insulin resistance, and some people can be very over weight, and yet never develop resistance or T2.

Diabetes just doesnt like to be predictable!

Maca44

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Lots of my family members past and present have T2 on my dads side and my mums, GP just said I would have got it at some point anyway but being a fatty has brought it forward 10yrs or so, thanks Doc.