Type 2 diagnosis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to update - I was due to hear back from the go on Friday but he phoned me at tea time today he said my results were back and he didn’t want me waiting a moment longer than necessary I was like ok what is it and he said he was shocked it was down from 89 to 45 - still have a lot of weight to lose so hopefully I should be able to get it down still further. My gp is cross that I’ve been diagnosed after one hba1c when he says it should always be repeated before a diagnosis is given but we are where we are and I’ve work still to do but I’m feeling determined to have a healthier life than I had before x
I had only one test to diagnose, but I was at 91 - I think that your GP is not being all that logical - there was hardly going to be anything but a similar result if a second test had been done. After 80 days I had dropped to 47 and at 6 months was at 41, and have been about there since - with, apparently one blip, but I wasn't told about it at the time - and now I am back in the same range, and 5 years from diagnosis so I am not all that concerned about the future.
Your GP is only shocked because our success is not on their radar. Numbers for non medicated type twos using diet alone are considered anomalies, not what ought to be normal.

Well done x

I had only one test to diagnose, but I was at 91 - I think that your GP is not being all that logical - there was hardly going to be anything but a similar result if a second test had been done. After 80 days I had dropped to 47 and at 6 months was at 41, and have been about there since - with, apparently one blip, but I wasn't told about it at the time - and now I am back in the same range, and 5 years from diagnosis so I am not all that concerned about the future.
Your GP is only shocked because our success is not on their radar. Numbers for non medicated type twos using diet alone are considered anomalies, not what ought to be normal.
Do you mind me asking your age at diagnosis

AB31FC17-A3D5-4211-8E83-AAC30213E651.jpegEnjoyed my little cousins wedding despite the horrendous weather (it’s actually been worse at home in Northumberland than up in Alloa) feeling really quite proud of myself I managed to side step the doughnut wall and brownie mountain that was provided for everyone as the meal was so late the starter was lovely ham hock terrine with onion relish however a tiny bit of the relish and I instantly knew that was far to sweet so avoided that it’s quite shocking how finely tuned I seem to be at spotting it after cutting out sugar for a few weeks! Roast beef dinner for main I just didn’t eat the potatoes and I also passed on my desert of sticky toffee pudding and gave it to a family member! The overwhelming weirdness of the day was the amount of people who came up to me to say sorry for not speaking earlier but they didn’t realise it was me I can’t see that I look any different but I suppose I must! Oh also the evening before the wedding for our evening meal we went to brewers fayre as that was what was at the hotel - have to say menu wasn’t great but opted for grilled burger without the bun and swapped chips for sweet potato and passed on pudding so fingers crossed I’m not to upset when I go to get weighed on Thursday x

Well done on negotiating the wedding weekend food. I think it would not have been unreasonable for you to have treated yourself a little more since it was a very special occasion but good on you for making such sensible choices and I am sure it will pay off on the scales when you get back. You look stunning and I hope the comments from others gave you a motivation and confidence boost.
Hope you get home safely. Very icy, snowy and slippy here just over the border from your home county, in County Durham this morning.

Lovely hat !! - very pleased you went and managed to negotiate through the event - see? wasn't all that difficult in the finish, was it?

I
Oh, well done! Sounds like you are making great progress.
was worried about those 2 cooked breakfasts at the prem inn (particularly the baked beans) I need to get my blood sugar down from 45 to the low 30’s so still working hard - then will come the even harder but (maintaining the weight loss and excercise regime) but I’m up for it a complete change of your life for the rest of your life was/is never going to be easy but I’d rather do this than face the consequences of not bothering and huge thank you rebrascora for all you’re positive words

I need to get my blood sugar down from 45 to the low 30’s
Great to hear you indulged in cooked breakfasts whilst you were away. I was concerned that you might have been a little too strict diet wise but a cooked breakfast with a few beans isn't a big deal carbs wise and to me it is such a treat.

You don't need to be that ambitious with your HbAc1. Any number below 42 is in the normal range and for some people low 30s might be too low for their body.
I am a big believer in setting yourself realistic targets. If it reassures you a bit, most Type1 diabetics would struggle to achieve an HbA1c as low as 42 and generally live with diabetes many more years than most Type 2s, so being in that prediabetes range of 42-47 is not putting you at any significant risk, if for some reason you can't manage to get it below 42, but keeping your levels from going higher, losing weight and increasing your activity levels will decrease the risks. Of course it is a bonus if you can get your levels down to mid-low 30s but don't make your life/diet overly restricted trying to achieve it or be disappointed if you don't. Diabetes is all about finding a balance. I would say that anything under 48 is success. The new consensus of remission is actually 2 consecutive readings below 48 without medication, rather than the 42 that some people quote. Feeling healthier and happier and slimmer and perhaps more confident is just as important if not more so.

Great to hear you indulged in cooked breakfasts whilst you were away. I was concerned that you might have been a little too strict diet wise but a cooked breakfast with a few beans isn't a big deal carbs wise and to me it is such a treat.

You don't need to be that ambitious with your HbAc1. Any number below 42 is in the normal range and for some people low 30s might be too low for their body.
I am a big believer in setting yourself realistic targets. If it reassures you a bit, most Type1 diabetics would struggle to achieve an HbA1c as low as 42 and generally live with diabetes many more years than most Type 2s, so being in that prediabetes range of 42-47 is not putting you at any significant risk, if for some reason you can't manage to get it below 42, but keeping your levels from going higher, losing weight and increasing your activity levels will decrease the risks. Of course it is a bonus if you can get your levels down to mid-low 30s but don't make your life/diet overly restricted trying to achieve it or be disappointed if you don't. Diabetes is all about finding a balance. I would say that anything under 48 is success. The new consensus of remission is actually 2 consecutive readings below 48 without medication, rather than the 42 that some people quote. Feeling healthier and happier and slimmer and perhaps more confident is just as important if not more so.
Thank you so much that’s brilliant to know, would it be possible to message you if/when I struggle with anything? I don’t know how any of that works on here x

Thank you so much that’s brilliant to know, would it be possible to message you if/when I struggle with anything? I don’t know how any of that works on here x
Yes of course you would be most welcome to, but I always feel that posting for help on the open forum means that you get a very balanced view point and whilst I think I am pretty balanced others may disagree and we are all fallible, so if I advise something stupid on the open forum then others can and will correct me.... and I learn from that as well as you benefitting from not being given dubious advice by any one individual. Also, if I am not on the forum at that time, you might be missing out on someone else giving you the advice you need.... but regardless of all that, yes I am happy for you to PM me. To do so you go to the box at the top right hand side of the screen with your user name in it and click on the envelope. Actually Sarah I will PM you and then you can just click on the envelope and you will have a direct means of using the PM to me...
Look out for a red alert next to the envelope in that box and click on it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back