Type 2 diagnosis

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarahb83

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 11 weeks ago to my utter shock and devesstation. I’m only 38 so at the time and still now I feel totally disgusted with myself for developing type 2 diabetes at my age. My dad was diagnosed in his med forties so I should really have seen this coming and done everything I could to avoid it but I’m here now since my diagnosis 11 weeks ago I have lost almost 3 stones and have just had my hbac1 repeated this morning due to get a phone call with the results on Friday. I’m absolutely terrified that nothing has changed my level at diagnosis was ridiculously high 89mmol I’m desperately hoping it has started to come down a bit but terrified that it hasn’t budged. Has anyone else been in this position?

Hi and welcome and congratulations on your amazing weight loss, especially in such a short space of time... Wow!

It is totally normal to feel regret, guilt, frustration, sadness and anger and many other emotions at diagnosis. "Overwhelmed" is a word that is often used but there is also an element of grief because we know that we have to say "goodbye" to that dietary carefree life. The good news is that the new you can be happier and healthier and "slimmer" and still eat great food, so actually the new life can be better once you get your head around it.
I think many of us knew that we were carrying too much weight and/or not eating healthily or getting enough exercise or sleep, but didn't have the impetus to do something about it until we got hit with "the diagnosis". I think you deserve enormous credit for throwing yourself into tackling that so quickly.
I really hope your HbA1c result reflects your effort. Please do let us know. Will be keeping fingers crossed for you.

Just in case your result isn't as you would hope, do come back to us so that we can help you figure out why and what we can suggest for you to improve it further. Diabetes is very individual and what works for one person doesn't always work for another, so it can be a case of trial and improvement to find what works for you as an individual.

Hi @sarahb83 and welcome to the forum.

I'm not a betting man but with that weight loss even I might be tempted to put tiny wager on you being pleasantly surprised by the result you get.

Hi and welcome. I’m sure your medical team will be amazed at your progress! I was diagnosed T2 aged 20, so don’t feel bad about being diagnosed aged 38. I developed mine during my PGCE which was incredibly stressful. I have heard that if you are genetically predisposed to getting it (which you will be if your dad has it) then sometimes something that is stressful either physically (illness) or emotionally (difficult time etc) can bring it on earlier. The main thing is that you know about it now and are doing your best to manage it.

Hi and welcome. Congratulations on a magnificent weight loss. What sort of eating plan did you follow to achieve this? I'm sure your new HbA1c will be much lower now. Are you on any medications? Hopefully you can look forward to a happier and healthier life now.

Hi I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 11 weeks ago to my utter shock and devesstation. I’m only 38 so at the time and still now I feel totally disgusted with myself for developing type 2 diabetes at my age. My dad was diagnosed in his med forties so I should really have seen this coming and done everything I could to avoid it but I’m here now since my diagnosis 11 weeks ago I have lost almost 3 stones and have just had my hbac1 repeated this morning due to get a phone call with the results on Friday. I’m absolutely terrified that nothing has changed my level at diagnosis was ridiculously high 89mmol I’m desperately hoping it has started to come down a bit but terrified that it hasn’t budged. Has anyone else been in this position?
My HbA1c was also 89 at diagnosis. Over 6 months I lost about 10kg and cut down on carbs a bit, and my HbA1c was down to 38.

That's just me, but no reason why you can't do the same kind of thing - it's not uncommon. Good luck!

Reading through these replies here shows just how positive this can be. A healthier, fitter, happier you and with that great weight loss I'd bet too that the blood test will show some improvement.

I have found that my diet has not just improved but now provides me with great food that I enjoy so much more. I would say that I have 'discovered' food now, whereas before I just shovelled in whatever I craved at that moment. Now I plan, savour, and enjoy every food and meal.

It looks like you have engaged with your diabetes head on. A great way to get on top of it.

The thing to remember is that it's not a death sentence but a life sentence ! Good luck. It will be very interesting to see how you get on and what you do to manage things.

Thanks everyone any advice and input is greatly appreciated. Since the morning I was diagnosed I instantly put down the chocolate and put on my trainers and started moving. I’m 38 and a housewife with a busy house I have an 18 year old son who is disabled he has global developmental delay, dyspraxia and few other more minor things and 2 daughters age 14 and 10. My lifestyle was extremely poor I cook for everyone else but would rarely eat it myself opting for chocolate, biscuits or sweets instead and was a literal couch potato doing little to no exercise. I have had depression since I had my son and hate the fact that I take antidepressants. My husband was a bus driver and so worked some crazy shifts which often meant eating with him was impossible however since my diagnosis he has been my rock (like he always is) and he has ate every evening meal with me in the past 11 weeks where I’ve lost 3st he has lost 1st 5lbs. He got the job of his dreams a couple of months ago he’s now the examiner for the north east so more or less has a 9-5 hours so that’s been a huge thing. I’ve gone from doing no exercise to doing 2/3 30 minute exercise classes a week and 4 3 mile walks with my husband and the dog. Which was a struggle 11 weeks ago but now is a breeze (I’m assuming cos there is less of me to try and move about) I’m 5ft7 and was 18 stone I’m now 15st so still have a lot of weight to lose and gone from a size 22 to a 16. I’m struggling to control my emotions though I had my bloods taken on Monday morning and have spent the rest of Monday and most of yesterday crying I’m just so scared that my sugar level won’t have come down my gp that I saw on monday was just like I don’t understand why you’re so upset you should be really proud of what you’ve achieved but proud is the absolute last thing that I am. We’re going up to Scotland for a family wedding on Saturday and I really don’t want to go all I can think about is the potential of getting more bad news on Friday from this hba1c result

All I can say is very well done. You have made some brilliant lifestyle decisions and are seeing positive results. Rome wasn’t built in a day but you are well on the way to a happy outcome. I have read many times on this site people saying that their diagnosis was the best thing to have happened to them as it caused them to reevaluate things and turn their lives around. That is what you are doing/ have done. You might not feel proud right now, and as everyone says diagnosis causes emotions to soar but in time you will realise just how well you have done to date and why you can and should feel proud. This forum is a great place for support. Hang on in there.

Good morning @sarahb83. I will make my usual comment when I see a member who is also a carer and ask whether you have made contact with carer services in your area? It's a bit of a post code lottery in terms of what you will find but it may be a resource that will help with the caring side of your life. If nothing else you should see that you are not alone as a carer even though being a carer can be very lonely at times. 🙂

Thanks everyone any advice and input is greatly appreciated. Since the morning I was diagnosed I instantly put down the chocolate and put on my trainers and started moving. I’m 38 and a housewife with a busy house I have an 18 year old son who is disabled he has global developmental delay, dyspraxia and few other more minor things and 2 daughters age 14 and 10. My lifestyle was extremely poor I cook for everyone else but would rarely eat it myself opting for chocolate, biscuits or sweets instead and was a literal couch potato doing little to no exercise. I have had depression since I had my son and hate the fact that I take antidepressants. My husband was a bus driver and so worked some crazy shifts which often meant eating with him was impossible however since my diagnosis he has been my rock (like he always is) and he has ate every evening meal with me in the past 11 weeks where I’ve lost 3st he has lost 1st 5lbs. He got the job of his dreams a couple of months ago he’s now the examiner for the north east so more or less has a 9-5 hours so that’s been a huge thing. I’ve gone from doing no exercise to doing 2/3 30 minute exercise classes a week and 4 3 mile walks with my husband and the dog. Which was a struggle 11 weeks ago but now is a breeze (I’m assuming cos there is less of me to try and move about) I’m 5ft7 and was 18 stone I’m now 15st so still have a lot of weight to lose and gone from a size 22 to a 16. I’m struggling to control my emotions though I had my bloods taken on Monday morning and have spent the rest of Monday and most of yesterday crying I’m just so scared that my sugar level won’t have come down my gp that I saw on monday was just like I don’t understand why you’re so upset you should be really proud of what you’ve achieved but proud is the absolute last thing that I am. We’re going up to Scotland for a family wedding on Saturday and I really don’t want to go all I can think about is the potential of getting more bad news on Friday from this hba1c result
I totally get those feelings, however I think you should take them a a good sign, it proves that reducing your sugars means a lot to you and this can only help you going forward. If your capable of punishing yourself for events you feel let up to this, then you are also capable of congratulating yourself for the tremendous effort you are putting in right now. Also a big shout out to your supportive husband… you got all the will power and support to see this through. Xx

Hi and welcome. Congratulations on a magnificent weight loss. What sort of eating plan did you follow to achieve this? I'm sure your new HbA1c will be much lower now. Are you on any medications? Hopefully you can look forward to a happier and healthier life now.
Sorry I forgot to say no I’m not any any medication for diabetes at all my diabetic nurse said let’s see what you can do on your own first, I don’t know if that’s a good thing or bad to be honest

It's a very good thing - it has made you start to sort yourself out, hasn't it ! So far, I'd say it seems to be working pretty well so please please tentatively look forward to enjoying yourself at the wedding - cos I predict you will be able to!

It's a very good thing - it has made you start to sort yourself out, hasn't it ! So far, I'd say it seems to be working pretty well so please please tentatively look forward to enjoying yourself at the wedding - cos I predict you will be able to!
As Jenny said, with your Hba1c number giving it a go without bedication is a good thing. My Hba1c was 74 and I was put straight on Metformin (2 tabs twice a day). No discussion and I was too poleaxed to question it. Good luck

Sorry I forgot to say no I’m not any any medication for diabetes at all my diabetic nurse said let’s see what you can do on your own first, I don’t know if that’s a good thing or bad to be honest
That's a really good thing, and considering your first HbA1c, quite forward thinking of your nurse. S/he clearly thought you were motivated and a good candidate to lose weight and reduce your blood glucose on your own. I too was given the opportunity to reduce my HbA1c and did well until becoming ill. I'm getting there now. If you can control your blood glucose without medication that's great, as there are side effects. Just think about how much easier you can move, how much better you look in your new wardrobe, and enjoy all the positive comments you will get for your appearance at the wedding.

I agree with others here. You should be super proud of yourself, what an incredible achievement to lose that weight in such a short a time. Just think if you hadn't been diagnosed you would still be sitting on your couch. Now you are out walking with your husband and dog. A diabetes diagnosis can really be a blessing in disguise. I miss ice cream, chocolate and pizza a lot (pasta, not so much) - but it is worth it when I get on scales, realise I can walk for miles and feel a billion times better. If I were a betting man I would put a significant wager on the results of you BG test.

Just to update - I was due to hear back from the go on Friday but he phoned me at tea time today he said my results were back and he didn’t want me waiting a moment longer than necessary I was like ok what is it and he said he was shocked it was down from 89 to 45 - still have a lot of weight to lose so hopefully I should be able to get it down still further. My gp is cross that I’ve been diagnosed after one hba1c when he says it should always be repeated before a diagnosis is given but we are where we are and I’ve work still to do but I’m feeling determined to have a healthier life than I had before x

So pleased for you - I think everyone on the Forum thought you would have that spectacular result. And don't you feel so much better and pleased with yourself for what you have achieved? And thanks to your other half for his support. It's inspired me to continue trying to get mine down further. I've gone from 88 to 67, so quite pleased, but still a long way to go.

So pleased for you - I think everyone on the Forum thought you would have that spectacular result. And don't you feel so much better and pleased with yourself for what you have achieved? And thanks to your other half for his support. It's inspired me to continue trying to get mine down further. I've gone from 88 to 67, so quite pleased, but still a long wa
It’s given me the determination to keep going x

Many congratulations on a fantastic achievement! Hope you have a wonderful time at the wedding and come back ready to tackle the next stage of your journey with diabetes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back