Not open for further replies.

Bobh

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
What exactly does it entail, please?
Basic details please?
Is it really important?
Any downsides?
Are there some inexpensive food supplements that would benefit me?
Suggestions welcome.

It's explained here:

I strongly recommend taking sunglasses with you as the purpose of the drops is to dilate your pupils which will let more light in and everything will seem brighter.
I have needed to wear sunglasses indoors for an hour or so after having the drops.

Just a word of warning here. The first time I had it done my eyes didn't go back to normal for 6 hours! I now always go with someone as I really don't fancy having to wait that long to be able to drive. And yes, take sunglasses.

It is a bit stingy when they first put the drops in but that goes away quite quickly.

And yes, it is really important!

Yes the drops can be a bit stingy but after they have dilated your pupils , they take the pics of your eyes.
Yes it’s vital to have this done so any problems are spotted early and if necessary dealt with before too much harm is done to your sight.

I'm type 1 and have my eyes checked regularly. I'm asked to read a chart at a distance and then they pop a drop of liquid in each eye to dilate my pupils. I wait around 15 - 20 minutes, they call me back, I stare towards a lens and they take a photo. Pretty quick, easy, no pain. As everyone says, the cold liquid might sting a little but soon goes away. I'm not keen on anything to do with eyes but this is an appointment I happily attend. Hope this helps.

It's very straightforward and nothing to worry about @Bobh - but yes, do remember sunglasses and don't drive!

I am not expecting my screening appointment any time soon, though it's more than a year since my last now.

I think they will be gradually starting up again after the pause, and will be prioritising people who have added eyesight risk and/or are having more difficulties managing their diabetes.

Well @everydayupsanddowns - why don't you go on your local retinopathy service website and see if you can book an appointment and save em the cost of a stamp?

I had mine done recently. Yes the drops sting a bit and you might need sunglasses. I was really scared the first time but there really is nothing to it and it will let you know what is going on with your eye health. I think it is an important thing to do. Good luck. 🙂

No 'may' need sunglasses - WILL need em I'd recommend!

I find even on a dull day I would need the sunglasses. Even with reactions lens in my glasses , I still need sunglasses on top.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back