Type 2 diabetes and homelessness

Status
Not open for further replies.

IrvineHimself

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Edit: One year later: I have posted an update to my situation here

Hi all

Due to my unusual circumstances, when posting questions I will likely be referring back to this post and feel I should give a fuller introduction than normal.

Because of Asperger's, when quite young, I made the life-style choice to live as a vagabond, (it gives me greater control of social interactions and cuts down on the incidental bullying that one commonly finds in civilised society.) For many years, I had a succession of squats in the South of France; travelling extensively throughout Europe, Africa, the Caribbean... etc. Returning to Scotland about 12 years ago, I am now a well known member of Edinburgh's homeless community.

(Note, I do not drink. So, please no admonishments about the dangers of alcohol. Unlike most people, I have seen first hand the terminal stages of alcoholism and it is not pretty.)

Along with a number of other ailments related to old age, I had suspected for some time that I was type 2 diabetic, and, about a month ago, I mentioned this to a StreetWork outreach team. They, in turn, sent their pharmacy team to visit me who arranged for me to register with their Doctor.

Initially I saw the practice nurse who agreed my symptoms sounded like classic type 2 diabetes:
1) Uncontrollable thirst​
2) Excessive urination​
3) White crystal residue on underwear from urine leakage​
4) Deep fissures on soles of my feet which don't heal and become infected​

She then performed:
1} A pinprick blood test, {17.6 mmols/l}, (I had skipped lunch)​
2} Checked a urine sample for ketoacidosis, {negative}​
3} Checked my blood pressure, {too high}​
4} Drew gallons of blood, {my arms are still sore}​
5} Arranged an appointment to see a Doctor​

Finally, two weeks ago, I saw a Doctor for the first time in decades. He confirmed my self diagnosis and, because of potential side effects, wanted me to start medication slowly:
1) Metformin * 1 tablet/day for a week​
2) Metformin * 2 tablets/day for rest of month​
3) After 1 month he wanted to start Empagliflozin, with more medications to follow​

He also arranged an appointment for the following week with another Doctor from the practice who had a special interest in type 2 diabetes amongst the homeless. Unfortunately, that weekend, my latest blood tests, taken before starting the medication, came back with abnormally low sodium levels, (hyponatremia.) So, out of the blue at 8 o'clock on a Friday night I got an email informing me I had an emergency clinical assessment at the Western General for first thing the following morning, and, additionally, if I felt unwell in any way during the night, I should immediately head to the nearest A&E.

Luckily, the clinical assessment went well and I did not need to be admitted. Subsequently, at the previously arranged appointment with the practice Doctor, she ordered even more blood tests and started me on the full dosage of the Metformin/Empagliflozin combination.

Currently, my biggest problem is with the diet. It is not just a question of money and hunger, but also a question of storage: In my chosen lifestyle it is frequently a case of "eating it before it goes bad". This is compounded by supermarkets not selling individual small, cheap, healthy portions of meat and dairy products.

So, my typical daily diet prior to all this starting was:
1) Lunch: Two cheese rolls, (heavy on the cheese,) along with a tin of soup​
2) Dinner: 450 grams of low quality, high fat red meat, (mince, beef burger or pork chops.)​
2.1) For bulk, a plate heaped with potatoes, rice or pasta​
3) Snacks: Packet chocolate digestives and/or a family pack of tortilla/crisps​
4) A minimum of half a dozen cups of very sweet coffee​
5) Sugary drinks like coca-cola​

By choice, I do not claim benefits and generally live on a day to day basis. This means my daily disposable income fluctuates wildly. Also, being "No Fixed Abode", email and internet are essential, and for this, using a friends bank account, I pay for a "pocket WiFi" internet connection. This is my single biggest monthly expense for which I have to budget accordingly.

Now, a week and half after my wake-up call, I am trying to adjust my diet to be diabetes friendly. I have arranged storage space with a friend: A shelf in a freezer; ditto fridge and cupboard, along with access to a microwave. For me, there is a significant learning curve, not just the terminology, but also:
1) The nutritional information for affordable products​
2) What that info actually means in terms of diabetes and having healthy diet​
3) Where to find the best prices for healthy products.​

My first impressions are: Meat free products, especially when reduced to clear, can be surprisingly cheap, and, if you look around, it is still possible to get reasonably priced tomatoes, mushrooms, olives and other exotic vegetables which are not normally considered "low budget" food items.

Bearing in mind it has only been two weeks since my initial diagnosis, and I am still experimenting with microwave recipes; healthy portion sizes; building up a stockpile of garnishes and finding the best prices, my daily diet is starting to look a bit like the following:

Breakfast, (necessary for my medication):
A couple of slices of Ryvita crisp bread with a thin covering of low fat cheese spread

Lunch:
1) A sachet of "Be Good to Yourself" instant soup​
2) Salad consisting of at least three of the following​
2.1) Grated cabbage​
2.2) Grated carrots​
2.3) Avocado​
2.4) Aubergine​
2.5) Leek​
2.6) Asparagus, (when reduced)​
2.7) Beetroot​
3) Salad dressing of tsp of extra virgin olive oil with garlic and Balsamic vinegar​
4) A dollop of fat free cottage cheese, or a very small grated portion of cheddar​
5) 6 biscuits, (one sachet,) of Sainsburys Oatcakes, (un-buttered)​
6) Half a dozen cherry tomatoes and some slices of cucumber​
7) A garnish of black olive and radish​

Dinner:
1) One small potato, I am still trying to work out rice and pasta​
2) For bulk, I'm using cabbage, carrots and lightly cooked cauliflower​
3) The meat course has been replaced with one of the following:​
3.1) Half a smoked mackerel and half a dozen cheap crab sticks​
3.2) A portion of Tofu, microwaved with onion, tomato, cucumber, garlic, diced olives two portobello mushroom and seasoned with pepper, cinnamon and ginger.​
3.4) Recommended portions of meat free meatballs or sausages.​
3.5) A plain omelette or a couple of boiled eggs​

Snacks:
Given the above outlay, I can't really afford a great deal in the way of recommended snacks like nuts and raisins, so, for the moment:
1) Either a small mandarin orange or a banana​
2) About 4 or 5 "Be good to yourself" Rice Cakes, with a smattering of grated cheddar​
3) A small bowl of raw porridge with skimmed milk​

Beverages:
1) Coffee with saccharin​
2) Diet cola​

It may be psychosomatic, but my constant thirst has noticeably reduced. However, probably because of the lack of carbs, especially in the middle of the night, I get very hungry.

On a final note, after years of trying, the StreetWork team has finally convinced me that, because of my diabetes, I should apply for my state pension. Given that my passport and driving licence are out of date; I do not have a bank account; and am "No Fixed Abode", this is proving to be an even bigger bureaucratic nightmare than I thought it would be. Current estimates are, it is likely to take at least 6 or 7 months to sort out, thus validating my initial reluctance.

Anyway, that is me and the beginnings of my journey into healthy living.
Irvine

Edit: One year later: I have posted an update to my situation here

Last edited:
Hi all

Due to my unusual circumstances, when posting questions I will likely be referring back to this post and feel I should give a fuller introduction than normal.

Because of Asperger's, when quite young, I made the life-style choice to live as a vagabond, (it gives me greater control of social interactions and cuts down on the incidental bullying that one commonly finds in civilised society.) For many years, I had a succession of squats in the South of France; travelling extensively throughout Europe, Africa, the Caribbean... etc. Returning to Scotland about 12 years ago, I am now a well known member of Edinburgh's homeless community.

(Note, I do not drink. So, please no admonishments about the dangers of alcohol. Unlike most people, I have seen first hand the terminal stages of alcoholism and it is not pretty.)

Along with a number of other ailments related to old age, I had suspected for some time that I was type 2 diabetic, and, about a month ago, I mentioned this to a StreetWork outreach team. They, in turn, sent their pharmacy team to visit me who arranged for me to register with their Doctor.

Initially I saw the practice nurse who agreed my symptoms sounded like classic type 2 diabetes:
1) Uncontrollable thirst​
2) Excessive urination​
3) White crystal residue on underwear from urine leakage​
4) Deep fissures on soles of my feet which don't heal and become infected​

She then performed:
1} A pinprick blood test, {17.6 mmols/l}, (I had skipped lunch)​
2} Checked a urine sample for ketoacidosis, {negative}​
3} Checked my blood pressure, {too high}​
4} Drew gallons of blood, {my arms are still sore}​
5} Arranged an appointment to see a Doctor​

Finally, two weeks ago, I saw a Doctor for the first time in decades. He confirmed my self diagnosis and, because of potential side effects, wanted me to start medication slowly:
1) Metformin * 1 tablet/day for a week​
2) Metformin * 2 tablets/day for rest of month​
3) After 1 month he wanted to start Empagliflozin, with more medications to follow​

He also arranged an appointment for the following week with another Doctor from the practice who had a special interest in type 2 diabetes amongst the homeless. Unfortunately, that weekend, my latest blood tests, taken before starting the medication, came back with abnormally low sodium levels, (hyponatremia.) So, out of the blue at 8 o'clock on a Friday night I got an email informing me I had an emergency clinical assessment at the Western General for first thing the following morning, and, additionally, if I felt unwell in any way during the night, I should immediately head to the nearest A&E.

Luckily, the clinical assessment went well and I did not need to be admitted. Subsequently, at the previously arranged appointment with the practice Doctor, she ordered even more blood tests and started me on the full dosage of the Metformin/Empagliflozin combination.

Currently, my biggest problem is with the diet. It is not just a question of money and hunger, but also a question of storage: In my chosen lifestyle it is frequently a case of "eating it before it goes bad". This is compounded by supermarkets not selling individual small, cheap, healthy portions of meat and dairy products.

So, my typical daily diet prior to all this starting was:
1) Lunch: Two cheese rolls, (heavy on the cheese,) along with a tin of soup​
2) Dinner: 450 grams of low quality, high fat red meat, (mince, beef burger or pork chops.)​
2.1) For bulk, a plate heaped with potatoes, rice or pasta​
3) Snacks: Packet chocolate digestives and/or a family pack of tortilla/crisps​
4) A minimum of half a dozen cups of very sweet coffee​
5) Sugary drinks like coca-cola​

By choice, I do not claim benefits and generally live on a day to day basis. This means my daily disposable income fluctuates wildly. Also, being "No Fixed Abode", email and internet are essential, and for this, using a friends bank account, I pay for a "pocket WiFi" internet connection. This is my single biggest monthly expense for which I have to budget accordingly.

Now, a week and half after my wake-up call, I am trying to adjust my diet to be diabetes friendly. I have arranged storage space with a friend: A shelf in a freezer; ditto fridge and cupboard, along with access to a microwave. For me, there is a significant learning curve, not just the terminology, but also:
1) The nutritional information for affordable products​
2) What that info actually means in terms of diabetes and having healthy diet​
3) Where to find the best prices for healthy products.​

My first impressions are: Meat free products, especially when reduced to clear, can be surprisingly cheap, and, if you look around, it is still possible to get reasonably priced tomatoes, mushrooms, olives and other exotic vegetables which are not normally considered "low budget" food items.

Bearing in mind it has only been two weeks since my initial diagnosis, and I am still experimenting with microwave recipes; healthy portion sizes; building up a stockpile of garnishes and finding the best prices, my daily diet is starting to look a bit like the following:

Breakfast, (necessary for my medication):
A couple of slices of Ryvita crisp bread with a thin covering of low fat cheese spread

Lunch:
1) A sachet of "Be Good to Yourself" instant soup​
2) Salad consisting of at least three of the following​
2.1) Grated cabbage​
2.2) Grated carrots​
2.3) Avocado​
2.4) Aubergine​
2.5) Leek​
2.6) Asparagus, (when reduced)​
2.7) Beetroot​
3) Salad dressing of tsp of extra virgin olive oil with garlic and Balsamic vinegar​
4) A dollop of fat free cottage cheese, or a very small grated portion of cheddar​
5) 6 biscuits, (one sachet,) of Sainsburys Oatcakes, (un-buttered)​
6) Half a dozen cherry tomatoes and some slices of cucumber​
7) A garnish of black olive and radish​

Dinner:
1) One small potato, I am still trying to work out rice and pasta​
2) For bulk, I'm using cabbage, carrots and lightly cooked cauliflower​
3) The meat course has been replaced with one of the following:​
3.1) Half a smoked mackerel and half a dozen cheap crab sticks​
3.2) A portion of Tofu, microwaved with onion, tomato, cucumber, garlic, diced olives two portobello mushroom and seasoned with pepper, cinnamon and ginger.​
3.4) Recommended portions of meat free meatballs or sausages.​
3.5) A plain omelette or a couple of boiled eggs​

Snacks:
Given the above outlay, I can't really afford a great deal in the way of recommended snacks like nuts and raisins, so, for the moment:
1) Either a small mandarin orange or a banana​
2) About 4 or 5 "Be good to yourself" Rice Cakes, with a smattering of grated cheddar​
3) A small bowl of raw porridge with skimmed milk​

Beverages:
1) Coffee with saccharin​
2) Diet cola​

It may be psychosomatic, but my constant thirst has noticeably reduced. However, probably because of the lack of carbs, especially in the middle of the night, I get very hungry.

On a final note, after years of trying, the StreetWork team has finally convinced me that, because of my diabetes, I should apply for my state pension. Given that my passport and driving licence are out of date; I do not have a bank account; and am "No Fixed Abode", this is proving to be an even bigger bureaucratic nightmare than I thought it would be. Current estimates are, it is likely to take at least 6 or 7 months to sort out, thus validating my initial reluctance.

Anyway, that is me and the beginnings of my journey into healthy living.
Irvine
In the short time since diagnosis you are doing fantastically well to get a grip on what you need to do to reduce your blood glucose level, my only observation is that you are choosing low fat products which you do not need to do as having fats will help you not to feel so hungry. Remember to stay well hydrated and drink plenty as that is how one of the medications works is to encourage the body to get rid of excess glucose via urine.
Keep in touch whenever you can with any questions you may have.

... my only observation is that you are choosing low fat products which you do not need to do as having fats will help you not to feel so hungry....
Interesting and good to know, It may have been for other reasons, but I am sure that my Doctors recommended cutting back on fat. At my next appointment, I will be checking my diet and will ask about suitable fat intakes.

At the moment I am using a small amount of olive oil, which is a monounsaturated fat, along with a daily serving of about 10 black olives, (lower salt,) I would like to increase the amount of olive oil slightly, maybe about a tsp drizzled on my potato and cabbage/cauliflower?

Interesting and good to know, It may have been for other reasons, but I am sure that my Doctors recommended cutting back on fat. At my next appointment, I will be checking my diet and will ask about suitable fat intakes.

At the moment I am using a small amount of olive oil, which is a monounsaturated fat, along with a daily serving of about 10 black olives, (lower salt,) I would like to increase the amount of olive oil slightly, maybe about a tsp drizzled on my potato and cabbage/cauliflower?
The standard NHS advice is a bit behind still recommending low fat but unless there are other medical reasons for restricting fats then normal healthy fats along with low carb is a way many people find successful. Fats do not convert to glucose whereas carbs do. Many low fat products are higher in carbs than full fat versions.

I was really puzzled about the choices you were making - but if you have been wrongly advised to eat low fat then that explains it.
Many of the items you are choosing to eat are high carb foods - even going for the small sweet tomatoes is not such a good choice as ordinary salad tomatoes. I would not eat any of the snacks you list.
You seem to have cut out the meat - that would be fine for us type 2 diabetics, and would help to ward off hunger.
I hope that you can sort out a pension - I did not expect to receive much, and did not apply for it when I could have done as I thought it would be only a few pounds, so I was very pleased to find that it was far larger than I thought it would be. It has solved a lot of problems.

It sounds to me as though you are doing very well - your new lunch and dinner both sound really healthy and diabetes-friendly. The main thing I would suggest is that you ditch the mandarin orange or banana, as they are high in sugar (as are raisins, which are not a recommended snack for diabetics except to raise blood sugar when it's too low). Instead you could snack on something like mini full fat cheeses, if they are more affordable than nuts. If you want some fruit in your diet you could eat apples and pears, which are lower in carbs than more exotic fruit, but as all fruit contain sugars it is better to eat them in a meal than as a snack, as the fat or protein in the meal will slow down your body's absorption of the carb content of the fruit.

Meat and full fat cheese or yogurt are fine for diabetics in reasonable quantities, and unless, as @Leadinglights says, there are other medical reasons for avoiding them. You need either fat or carbs for energy so as you are cutting down on carbs a lot you may find you need some fat instead, and in particular, eating something fatty last thing at night might help you not to get so hungry in the night.

Thanks guys, your reviews of my diet are proving really helpful

Like I said earlier, I am finding there is a steep learning curve when adjusting to having diabetes. Recognising that the last week has been mainly aimed at getting a quick overview of a new subject, I have read countless articles and done dozens of Google searches on a variety of topics such as:
  • Jargon and terminology
  • Bio Mechanics on a wide variety of related subjects
  • Nutrition and related jargon
  • Nutrition labels and their meaning
  • Suitable diets
  • Costs
  • Numerous minor, (but important,) additional considerations

As always, the problem is filtering out the cranks, conspiracy theorists and snake oil salesmen. Therefore, at this point, I feel it is important remind other newbies following in my footsteps to only use authoritative sources. For me, I consider the following sources authoritative:
  • This site. (I asked my Doctor, she gave me a big smile and a thumbs up)
  • NHS Lothian
  • The "gov.uk" domain
  • Wikipedia, (it is peer reviewed and, especially on topics like this, vandalism is quickly corrected)
  • Sources recommended or otherwise given my Doctors seal of approval

While, I have marked many articles for a deeper read, at the end of the day assimilation of information is always a matter of trying to put it into practice. In this case, that is coming up with a diet plan and having it peer reviewed. So, your comments are greatly welcomed.

With regard to some of my strange choices: Especially in today's economic climate, costs are extremely important, and tomatoes are an excellent example. Currently, half a dozen cheap salad tomatoes are about £1.40, whereas an equivalent portion of cheap cherry tomatoes are £0.95. While, at only 45p, the price difference might seem small, it quickly adds up. To illustrate, consider the following:

Hanging out in Edinburgh's financial district, I know a number of Arbitrage traders. Each year their respective institutions make hundreds of billions of pounds profit on small price differentials. With this in mind, as an experiment, a few years ago, over the course of three or four months, I was able to cut my weekly expenditure for food and hygiene products by over 50%.

Since it involved a significant amount of planning, along with knowing the prices at about a dozen retailers spread throughout the Edinburgh area, outside an experiment, it was neither practical, nor cost effective to continue. Even so, prior to my diabetes diagnosis, by knowing the prices at 5 nearby supermarkets: Lidl and Tesco at the bottom of Leith Walk, and the Co-Op, Sainsburys and Tesco mini-markets half way up at Pilrig Church, with minimal inconvenience, I could cut my weekly bill for food and hygiene products by about 35% compared to shopping at a single outlet. Hence some of my stranger choices.

On the subject of fats and animal protein: I am aware of Rabbit Starvation and necessity for including Healthy Fats in ones diet. Having said that, still being on my learning curve, I have no idea about appropriate quantities. Like I said, I am fairly sure my Doctor admonished me to cut back on fats. In addition, my initial choice of low fat and fat free dairy products were based on the sections on "Milk and dairy produce" and "Meat, fish, eggs and beans" in this document from NHS Lothian.

At a first quick read, the same point appears to be made by this document from 'Diabetes UK'. However, on closer inspection, the 'Diabetes UK' document is advocating smarter choices when it comes to fats.

At the risk of repetition, I greatly appreciate your input on fats. I am very much a turophile, and have seldom met a cheese I do not like. So, restricting myself to "fat free" and "low fat" cheeses was causing me a great deal of anguish.

On the related subject of red meats: In the public consciousness, there appears to be a widespread acknowledgement that:
  • Meat products are incredibly damaging to the environment
  • We eat much more red meat than is good for us
  • Plant based alternatives to red meat are far healthier
Further, as a personal observation, cheap red meat is not only of very low quality with an extremely high saturated fat content, it is sold in unit quantities that, when bought by unmarried singles, encourages over consumption.

In view of the preceding, despite coming from a long line of butchers and hill farmers, I am prepared to give plant based alternatives to red meat a go. Having said that, I am definitely going to pay closer attention to fats.

I joined the forum with a list of specific questions. Some of the other points raised touch on these questions, and, rather than a wide ranging general introduction, would be better served in separate threads.

So, as I said, I am really glad to hear your feedback on my diet plan. It is not only giving me a lot of useful information, but insights into the areas of my learning curve to which I need to pay closer attention.

Irvine

@IrvineHimself Having seen the effects of various ways of managing land, particularly marginal arid or semidesert, the way that UK farms are managed is highly beneficial to the ecosystem - my family background on my father's side is hill farming on a small scale, after moving south having been cleared off land in Scotland. Meat is our own natural diet - we do well on it and it makes no sense to me to be trying to eat an unnatural diet particularly in the later decades of life when yet another thing to deal with is the last thing to be adding into the mix.
I buy cheap meat because there is no such thing as low quality meat because it can't be bad for us - even if 'everyone' is saying so, it can't be true. Not only that it is bad science - we are made of meat ourselves and need maintenance and it seems logical to me to repair like with like. We need saturated fats for hormone production and it seems to add to our general well being when we can't cope with carbohydrates.
I add very little fat to my cooking, but I have the luxury of two fridges and a huge freezer. I can cook meat and separate off the fat and juices, cool them in the fridge and separate out the fat so I have it for all other purposes.

Glad to read you are getting on so well @IrvineHimself

And the potential savings you have identified just by shopping around are eye watering!

Just in case you’ve not found it (the main website is very large to look around) there are a number of different meal plans as examples here:

As you’ve read in the responses many members here allow themselves a little more freedom with fats as they are focusine on managing glucose levels with lower carbohydrate choices, but there are many different options and strategies used by forum members including low calorie, mediterranean, vegan, veggie and budget-conscious.

Good luck jumping through all the hoops to try to get your pension sorted. No wonder you weren’t too keen on starting!

... And the potential savings you have identified just by shopping around are eye watering! ....
You have no idea 😉

I like to follow the financial papers: For many years, virtually the only source of profit for Tesco was "product placement". That is where producers of branded produce like Nescafe, Walkers, Hovis... pay a retailer to place their product st eye/shoulder level, optimally on shelf near the entrance.

In other words, because the public don't bother to check prices on the bottom shelf, the business model of our largest retailer is based on selling virtually all its inventory at or below cost. Unsurprisingly, Tesco have recently begun a major push to collect even more our personal data.

I find there is something quite dystopian about this.
Irvine

like to follow the financial papers: For many years, virtually the only source of profit for Tesco was "product placement". That is where producers of branded produce like Nescafe, Walkers, Hovis... pay a retailer to place their product st eye/shoulder level, optimally on shelf near the entrance.

That’s amazing.

I remember something similar in a documentary about the location of drinks in fridges.

You can almost completely reverse the proportion of bottled water vs sweetened sugary drinks sold by changing which ones are in the premium eyeline / grab zone.

That’s amazing.....

Truly.

I studied maths at uni and, for a short time, worked at top international laboratory. I find the science that goes into modern retail fascinating. The following serves to illustrate the true power of modern retail science:

Around the turn of the millennium, I remember reading in the New York Times about a father who had stormed into his local Target department store demanding to see the manager because his 14 year old daughter been receiving adverts and discount coupons for various pregnancy related items. Of course, the store manager apologised profusely. What made the story worthy of the venerable NYT however, was that two or three weeks later, the father returned to apologise to the store manager. His 14 year old daughter had just confessed that she was in fact pregnant.

Essentially, what had happened was the in-store and website monitoring employed by Target had allowed their algorithms to deduce the girl was pregnant before she was certain enough about her condition to telll her family.

This story is now a part of statistic lore, and is included in several freshman textbooks, but, I can assure you, it it is not not apocryphal, I distinctly remember reading it at source.

I find that horrifying, that people are being monitored to that level. And of course it's worse now, they'd be watching her on all the social media sites.

They must hate me though. I make a big effort to opt out of all tracking, targeting, and marketing. I'm not on social media. I don't watch adverts. I don't buy any brands just because they are brands (can't understand filters on clothing websites which give you the option of chosing by brand, what practical use is that to anyone?!). I do food shopping online with a shopping list and buy the specific items I set out to buy. I never impulse buy, though I do buy extra things while they're on offer if they are things on my regular shopping list which will keep. And I also compare prices between the different supermarkets, though I'm sure I don't do it to the extent you have done, Irvine, as it's not worth making lots of small orders if that means you have to pay lots of delivery costs.

I can't understand the fridge thing - I'd go in for a bottle of water and come out with a bottle of water, whichever shelf it was on (actually, no I wouldn't - if it were in a fridge, I'd go out without buying anything because I don't like chilled drinks - I've done that plenty of times) - but I find it baffling that anyone would go in for an unspecified drink and just get whatever they saw first.

And in the unlikely event of my going into an actual shop I would do as I have always done and most definitely check the prices on the bottom shelf.

.... I make a big effort to opt out of all tracking, targeting, ....

In practice that is very difficult to do. The more hoops you jump through to avoid tracking, the more uniquely identifiable you become. The clearest explanation I could find quickly is here. Note: It is not a recommendation for their services, it just happens to be simple, concise explanation.

You may already know all this, but others may not. So here is a brief list of do's and don'ts
  • Only use browser add-ons that are essential, If technically savvy, you can set up multiple browser profiles with the add-ons required for specific tasks. As an aside, the Tor browser, only has HTTPS Everywhere and NoScript installed.
  • Clean out your cookies on a regular basis
  • Learn what all the privacy settings of your browser do, and how best to use them
  • Use a non-caching web proxy: Installed on your computer, it sits between the browser and the outside world, and can be used to filter out or even change your you browser fingerprint. Using a proxy like this is a dark art, The Tor Browser used to be bundled with Privoxy, but, unless the user knew what they were doing, it caused more problems than it was worth. However, a lot of geeks still install it between their browser of choice and the outside world
  • Use the Tor Browser, (It can be blocked, so their is a small learning curve necessary to get near full functionality.)
  • Use a VPN, The Tor Network is free, and, if technically savvy, can be used separately from the Tor Browser.
    • Note 1: VPNs, including Tor, are vulnerable to network analysis hacks. The simplest of these being for an eavesdropper to match traffic to entry and exit nodes, So don't assume you are free of surveillance
    • Note 2: Despite their promises of total anonymity, all commercial VPN providers are subject to local laws. So treat these claims with scepticism they deserve. For a greater, but not fool proof, degree of anonymity, you can use a commercial VPN in combination with the Tor network.
  • Never assume you are not being tracked. The bad actors are always one step ahead of you.
  • Herd protection is your best defence, so try not to have your fingerprint stand out from the crowd
  • If you are curious about how identifiable you are, the widely respected Electronic Frontier Foundation, (EFF,) offer a fingerprint checkup

Last edited:
That's very interesting, @IrvineHimself - thank you, I'll have a look at some of those links.

I am not trying to be completely invisible though, just retain a degree of privacy. I reject/opt out of things like performance and advertising cookies, object to all so-called legitimate interests whenever possible, I don't let google et al track me across different websites and I periodically go through their privacy settings and make sure all of them are still set to be as private as it's possible to be. I obviously do get some targeted stuff - I'm on some bookshop emailing lists, for instance, and they'll know what I've bought from them before - but I'm quite happy to be told about new books (I might even add them to my wishlist, but if I ever get round to buying them I'll have completely forgotten which shop told me about them and will get them from wherever's cheapest).

I only have one browser add-on, and that's adblock. I don't have a smart phone (or a smart anything else) so no apps. My partner customises my browser for me every time he installs updates (he has a pure maths PhD and works in academic computing, and we're pretty sure he has Asperger's too - he is self-diagnosed as being on the autistic spectrum but has never tried to get a formal diagnosis). I'm not sure which of the other things you mention he's done, I'll ask him.

Edit: apologies, I realise somewhat belatedly that my previous post may have sounded as though I was saying "they can't track me" whereas I was more saying "I don't seem to be in the demographic for any of these marketing strategies, they baffle me".

Last edited:
You should write a book! 🙂 Congrats on new place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back