Type 2 & CGM (Continuous Gloucose Monitoring)

If you have T2, do you use CGM, or would you like to?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

@Fractis

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi guys,

Can I ask if there are any people with T2 who either use CGM or would be interested in doing so?

Happy to have a more detailed discussion about this, but before this can I get a quick show of hands?

Thanks,

Bob

I'll kick this of by saying I do use a CGM, although not all of the time.

I use Dexcom G5 whole time invaluable now I'm on basal bolus and live alone
Jo

I would like to use one, but from what I've heard the Libre sensors are only designed to be worn on the arm. I have a fistula on my left arm, so that arm has to be kept free (no blood-pressure cuffs, no cannulas, no bracelets or wristwatches, I'm not even supposed to sleep on that side), meaning that I can't have a sensor on my right arm either as there would then be nowhere to put a blood-pressure cuff. :(

The Dexcom has more freedom as to sensor placement, but is a much more expensive system. Also, I don't think I need the alarm capability.

I hadn't really thought of it as an option, but now that you ask...

When I reach the point where I want to maintain my weight rather than lose any more I'll need to adjust my diet accordingly. It would be good to use one while I make these adjustment. It would help me to monitor my BG levels and make sure they remain within a sensible range.

I have used a Libre once, and have just started a second one, with the aim of trying to get some good graphs for my annual review for discussion. At £50 a fortnight it is too expensive to use all the time, especially when it doesn't replace finger pricks for DVLA purposes. I am expecting to use it 4/5 times a year and/or when I feel I am losing control or suffering from the 'lethargics'.

I have used Dexcom cgm's for the last 6 years, currently G4, I find it really useful to reduce the lows and highs, and just see what my BG is doing so can focus on other things. But it can also add more stress when the sensor is expiring and giving false lows at 4am, or having skin sensitivity to additional tapes. But its useful for those of us who live alone, gives me peace of mind as it alerts for lows. The first year I used it I reduced my Hb Aic a bit. I usually use one for up to 2 weeks and then go without for a week or so as so expensive.

I have used a Libre once, and have just started a second one, with the aim of trying to get some good graphs for my annual review for discussion. At £50 a fortnight it is too expensive to use all the time, especially when it doesn't replace finger pricks for DVLA purposes. I am expecting to use it 4/5 times a year and/or when I feel I am losing control or suffering from the 'lethargics'.
Thanks @BigMalc, can I ask if you are an insulin user?

I have used Dexcom cgm's for the last 6 years, currently G4, I find it really useful to reduce the lows and highs, and just see what my BG is doing so can focus on other things. But it can also add more stress when the sensor is expiring and giving false lows at 4am, or having skin sensitivity to additional tapes. But its useful for those of us who live alone, gives me peace of mind as it alerts for lows. The first year I used it I reduced my Hb Aic a bit. I usually use one for up to 2 weeks and then go without for a week or so as so expensive.
Cheers @Jade , can I ask if you are an insulin user?

Information is king to keeping healthy. A freestyle Libre is £130 odd & a really good piece of kit. Can you imagine Knowing what you bg is 24hrs a day ? :cool: T1 or T2 does not stop anyone getting one. People will spend that on a couple of tyres for there car :)

Hi
Yes I use insulin (novorapid & lantus). Been on insulin for nearly 18 years. I would like to try an insulin pump but would have to self fund as can't get on nhs.

Hi
Yes I use insulin (novorapid & lantus). Been on insulin for nearly 18 years. I would like to try an insulin pump but would have to self fund as can't get on nhs.

Type 2s CAN get insulin pumps but it's difficult. Have you spoken to your consultant?

Hi Fractis, yes I am on insulin, novorapid and levimir, been on them for about 2 years now and still trying to work out a foolproof, or as close as I can get, balance. The libre is expensive but I might be tempted to try it for a long period rather just occasionally apart from these downsides:
1 - the biggest drawback - It doesn't replace finger pricking for DVLA purposes
2-With an active life, running, swimming, etc I am not confident that I wouldn't go through sensors too quickly due to them falling off
3- I haven't worked out yet how to sleep without lying on it for part of the night, which is uncomfortable
Any Qs, I am happy to chat.
Cheers

Hi Fractis, yes I am on insulin, novorapid and levimir, been on them for about 2 years now and still trying to work out a foolproof, or as close as I can get, balance. The libre is expensive but I might be tempted to try it for a long period rather just occasionally apart from these downsides:
1 - the biggest drawback - It doesn't replace finger pricking for DVLA purposes
2-With an active life, running, swimming, etc I am not confident that I wouldn't go through sensors too quickly due to them falling off
3- I haven't worked out yet how to sleep without lying on it for part of the night, which is uncomfortable
Any Qs, I am happy to chat.
Cheers
Thanks for responding:)

Thank you to everyone who took the time to respond - I have been trying to get a better feel for the number of T2 people who know about, use or would like to use CGM technology. I get the feeling that fewer of us (compared to the T1 community) know about it.

I have been using a Dexcom on and off for 18 months, and whilst I lost my first sensor early (I managed to stick it to my shirt as well as me!), I have been able to keep the sensors on whilst swimming, running (which given how much I sweat is often wetter than swimming) cycling and falling over in a muddy field. I have been able to regularly get 3 weeks out of a single sensor, but it does require a couple of finger pricks a day to calibrate.

Whilst I don't use insulin, it has been a fantastic (if rather expensive) way of understanding what works in terms of oral medication, exercise diet etc. It's been very educational, which can only be a good thing.

Back