Type 2 BGL

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wasn't told by the GP, either. I only found out a month or two later when I saw the nurse and she asked if my screening had come through.

You must be getting a different exemption certificate than mine: mine only covers prescriptions. If I wanted free eye tests and dental treatment I'd need a NHS tax credit certificate.

I'd wait until you get the proper invite, as a private test by Specsavers may not be to same level of scrutiny.

Be very sure that your glasses are right if you have had new ones made - I went to specsavers and was clipping the curb all the time when driving - there was no 'prism' in the prescription even though they contacted my previous optician to make sure it was right - I went back to my original opticians and they could not believe that I'd been driving around for so long unable to see properly.
Thinking about it - you are newly diagnosed? Your eyes will be altering due to the change in your blood glucose levels, so you might have got new glasses which will be useless once things settle down and normalize.

I had mine at Boots Opticians, the 3D scan I paid extra for which they were pleased about, she showed me each eye scan which was blown up on the PC monitor, explained what she was looking for and confirmed my eyes were healthy.

This is the scanner they used

Sounds like a great day, I take my Glimepiride with my first meal of the day which today was 11am, but didn't eat a right lot, just an Arla protein yogurt, and an apple. Level was 5.1 before 4.9 afterwards, then a couple of hours later started feeling it, so tested and was 3.5, once I get a proper eating routine going with the right foods, I'm going to stop testing myself, my finger tips are like a second hand dartboard , peppered steak burgers and salad for tea today i thinks.
I love Arla protein yogurts too, I have them with strawberries and it feels like a treat!

I am sort of glad I dont test as I am slightly OCD about things and would have a needle permanently in my finger 🙂 I bought some urine test strips and basically kept testing my urine throughout the day, felt pleased as the glucose was negative on the strip but the ascorbi acid was up, and then reading about levels being up, it can hide a glucose spike, so I have stopped testing now. It also showed keytones but I am eating low carb so it would confuse me if I was in ketosis rather than a hypo.

I have had a nap after the heat and walk, went into the lounge, lay on the sofa with the fan on and felt really really cold and shivery so put a furry throw on top before I slept, then woke feeling like I urgently needed to eat (so had my strawberries and yoghurt) is this a sign a hypo could be coming? I know when I have been in ketosis before and losing weight being cold is a symptom, sometimes considered a good one as it means you are burning fat, but not sure if that means the same if you have diabetes.

I hope your Optician appointment goes well, you are having the same scan that I had, its really amazing what it shows you, although I felt a bit sick when she pointed out how healthy my veins were (I am squeamish about eyes)

Take care

x

When you reduce your blood glucose you can sometimes feel what might be described as hypo symptoms but it is the body adjusting to lower levels, they are often referred to as false hypos. Genuine hypos are unlikely in Type 2 not taking any medication. Be careful in this heat about dehydration as well.

When you reduce your blood glucose you can sometimes feel what might be described as hypo symptoms but it is the body adjusting to lower levels, they are often referred to as false hypos. Genuine hypos are unlikely in Type 2 not taking any medication. Be careful in this heat about dehydration as well.
OP is on Glimepiride, which is similar to Gliclazide, and can indeed cause hypos, especially if you eat less carb than usual.

Yes I have been drinking none stop, I am not looking forward to tomorrow as I have an appointment I will have to walk to in the midday sun and the prediction is as high as 38/39 tomorrow. I will take some water with me to keep safe. I may actually cancel it, it is just to get my nails done for my sons wedding, but my nails (especially my toenails) need a bit of colour, not sure whether to go or not.

Sorry, I have confused everyone :( I apologise to @Kitch as I have hijacked his thread. I have a question on Hypos so will start a new thread as dont want to derail this one any further x

I had mine at Boots Opticians, the 3D scan I paid extra for which they were pleased about, she showed me each eye scan which was blown up on the PC monitor, explained what she was looking for and confirmed my eyes were healthy.

This is the scanner they used

Why are you paying for something you'd get for free?!?

In answer to that, I have no idea, I told them I was diabetic and they got me to sign a form, then she gave me the glaucoma test and the photo of the eye then asked if I would like to 3D scan but that is £25 so I paid for my prescription glasses plus the £25 but the other tests were free. I will remember next time. it may be that Boots were unaware of this also being free.

Hi All,

What are the desired Blood glucose levels?.

Sounds like you have made a great start @Kitch 🙂

The recommended levels for T2 always used to be 4-7 before meals, and no higher than 8.5mmol/L by 2hrs after meals.

You might want to ask your nurse about adjusting your oral meds if you are starting to experience hypos with your current meal plan?

The OCT scan checks for a wider range of issues than the diabetic retinopathy check through the NHS, so I do both. OCT is £10 at Specsavers so having the extra check is worth it for the peace of mind, and spacing my eye check at Specsavers midyear apart from my NHS retinopathy check means any issues can be picked up 6 months earlier

I wasn't told by the GP, either. I only found out a month or two later when I saw the nurse and she asked if my screening had come through.

You must be getting a different exemption certificate than mine: mine only covers prescriptions. If I wanted free eye tests and dental treatment I'd need a NHS tax credit certificate.

I'd wait until you get the proper invite, as a private test by Specsavers may not be to same level of scrutiny.
The medical exemption certificate for diabetes in England is only available to people on medication for their diabetes and only covers prescription costs

All diabetics in England, including those who control with diet, are entitled to free eye tests and do not need to apply for or show any exemption certificate just declare that they have diabetes at the eye test when completing the forms

For free dental care you’d need a low income exemption form as diabetes doesn’t qualify you for any dental care

Sounds like you have made a great start @Kitch 🙂

The recommended levels for T2 always used to be 4-7 before meals, and no higher than 8.5mmol/L by 2hrs after meals.

You might want to ask your nurse about adjusting your oral meds if you are starting to experience hypos with your current meal plan?
Yes on my next review she's considering lowering the dose back to 2mg or 3mg. The last 3 days I've not gone over 8.5, highest being 8.4.

Hi @Kitch , I was diagnosed the same day as you with Type 2, I have a similar HbA1c as you too, so if you want a buddy to work on this together, I would be happy to share support with you 🙂

I can see you have already been put on medication, I dont have my diabetes clinic until 11th August so havent had anything prescribed but am cutting down on carbs, sugar and fat (also have high cholesterol and suspected fatty liver - My liver scan is on 1st August)

Anyway, welcome to the site, its a great place for support and information.

xx
Hi Jenny

How have you been getting on. Hope you are well, I took some time out on all my socials to work on myself. Just thought I’d pop back on with an update. Really pleased with my self.

Hi Jenny

How have you been getting on. Hope you are well, I took some time out on all my socials to work on myself. Just thought I’d pop back on with an update. Really pleased with my self.
Brilliant to hear you are doing so well, Keep it up, really pleased for you xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back