Type 2 and weigh just over 8 stone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cordelia2799

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi

This is my first post. I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes back in April, this was after slowly losing weight over 18 months without trying (I went down from 10 stone to 8 1/2 stone). I went to the GP, had a blood test which came back with a HbA1C level of 94 mmol/mol. Since diagnosis I have been put on Metformin, starting with a low dose, I now take 4 tablets a day. My last HbA1C test in September was 61mmol/mol which was encouraging. I was just wondering if there are many more skinny type 2 diabetics out there? We hear so much about people wanting to lose weight but I would quite like to put a few healthy pounds on. Any advice would be welcome.

You lost weight without trying? This is a sign of type 1, did they test you for type 1?

I was told type 2. I turn 71 on Friday , I was told it’s very rare for someone my age to get type 1. The Metformin is doing its job, my blood glucose levels are falling and my appetite is improving. In fact, I feel fine. I just want to gain some healthy weight.

Hi Cordelia

Thanks for joining us here.

I am not skinny nor a nutritional expert.
Its difficult to advise not knowing what you are currently eating.

I would say generally;

have the occasional 1- 2 time weekly cup of coffee with unsweetened fresh double cream.
Put butter on your carrots, this helps with nutrient absorption too.
Add grated cheese to your leafy greens and other vegtetables
Be sure you are eating enough protein eat more protein, Eggs, fish, meat etc.
Have advocado more regularly and banana, you don't have to eat whole in one sitting, half of those easily consumed at a later time in the day.
Eat dark chocolate (1 bar spaced out over 7 days)
Eat a naughty occasionally.
Increase the size of your portions

All this of course with how your body responds with blood glucose levels, check out DUK page on this subject. Finger prick testing will indicate whats happening used correctly.

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-t...whats-your-healthy-weight/tips-to-gain-weight

Best wishes

I was told type 2. I turn 71 on Friday , I was told it’s very rare for someone my age to get type 1. The Metformin is doing its job, my blood glucose levels are falling and my appetite is improving. In fact, I feel fine. I just want to gain some healthy weight.

Type 1 is rarer than Type 2 at all ages. It’s often missed in older adults, so with the unexpected weight loss it was a natural thing for @Tdm to mention. There are actually tests that can help determine your diabetes type if needed. There are a few people here who got Type 1 after retirement. I believe the oldest person diagnosed with Type 1 was in their 90s!

To put weight on, try increasing healthy fats like avocados, oily fish, nuts and nut butters. You could also use an app like MyFitnessPal which will show you how many calories you’re taking in per day as well as other macros like carbs.

I'm T2 and at 160cm tall, I weigh under 50kg, so I'm a slight person. Whilst I am very slim, personally, I'm not in a huge rush to gain weight. I feel extremely well as I am.

When I have needed to nudge my weight up a bit, after being unwell, or whatever, my tactic is to firstly just increase my meal size a little, but concentrating on the proteins and fats, rather than the carbohydrate components.

Doing it in this way does work, but it isn't a quick fix, but then it's better for general health not to have yo-yo weight anyway.

Hi Cordelia

Thanks for joining us here.

I am not skinny nor a nutritional expert.
Its difficult to advise not knowing what you are currently eating.

I would say generally;

have the occasional 1- 2 time weekly cup of coffee with unsweetened fresh double cream.
Put butter on your carrots, this helps with nutrient absorption too.
Add grated cheese to your leafy greens and other vegtetables
Be sure you are eating enough protein eat more protein, Eggs, fish, meat etc.
Have advocado more regularly and banana, you don't have to eat whole in one sitting, half of those easily consumed at a later time in the day.
Eat dark chocolate (1 bar spaced out over 7 days)
Eat a naughty occasionally.
Increase the size of your portions

All this of course with how your body responds with blood glucose levels, check out DUK page on this subject. Finger prick testing will indicate whats happening used correctly.

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-t...whats-your-healthy-weight/tips-to-gain-weight

Best wishes
Thanks for the advice! I will certainly allow myself a few treats.

Type 1 is rarer than Type 2 at all ages. It’s often missed in older adults, so with the unexpected weight loss it was a natural thing for @Tdm to mention. There are actually tests that can help determine your diabetes type if needed. There are a few people here who got Type 1 after retirement. I believe the oldest person diagnosed with Type 1 was in their 90s!

To put weight on, try increasing healthy fats like avocados, oily fish, nuts and nut butters. You could also use an app like MyFitnessPal which will show you how many calories you’re taking in per day as well as other macros like carbs.
Thanks. I think I need to get a bit more technical with my calorie input.

Thanks. I think I need to get a bit more technical with my calorie input.

I’m naturally slim myself and I find that if I want to put on weight I have to make a consistent effort day after day, week after week, so I use MyFitnessPal to do this. It gives me a calorie target per day and I check to make sure I reach it.

I'm T2 and at 160cm tall, I weigh under 50kg, so I'm a slight person. Whilst I am very slim, personally, I'm not in a huge rush to gain weight. I feel extremely well as I am.

When I have needed to nudge my weight up a bit, after being unwell, or whatever, my tactic is to firstly just increase my meal size a little, but concentrating on the proteins and fats, rather than the carbohydrate components.

Doing it in this way does work, but it isn't a quick fix, but then it's better for general health not to have yo-yo weight anyway.

I have a friend in her late 70ies who was recently re diagnosed as Type 1 after 2 years of continuing to lose weight and still having high blood glucose despite oral meds.
I would press for the c-peptide and GAD antibody tests if you continue to lose weight.

I have a friend in her late 70ies who was recently re diagnosed as Type 1 after 2 years of continuing to lose weight and still having high blood glucose despite oral meds.
I would press for the c-peptide and GAD antibody tests if you continue to lose weight.
Thanks for this. I will definitely keep this in mind and monitor my weight.

I'm 73, used to be 5ft 4ins, now only 5' 1" cos I've shrunk but am now fat because I'm inactive at over 9st and I ruddywell hate it. Swap you ! Oh to be 8st 7lbs ish again.

Hi Cordelia,
I’m a skinny type 2! I was diagnosed in 2019 after experiencing continuous tiredness and serious RTIs. I was immediately put on 500mg of Metformin 3 times a day and a statin. However, the news was a bit of a shock; I never thought I would be diabetic considering I wasn’t overweight and had a normal BMI. However, after doing some research I learnt that the cause was most likely the visceral fat around my middle. So after a period of denial, in which I fell sick again, I changed my diet and joined the gym. I’m now fitter and healthier than I was back then and my HbA1c level went from 84mmol to 48mmol. Personally I think it’s more important to consider what you eat, rather than how much you eat. As advised above, healthy fats and proteins are good. Also, as you’ve been losing weight maybe ask for a T1D test. Be well!

I’m 5ft 3“ and just over 8 stone, feel ok and full of energy but I don’t want to lose more weight.
I think the pointer is not your actual weight but the fact that you say you lost weight fairly quickly without trying which I know most people would welcome when they need to lose weight but shouldn't be dismissed.

Hi Cordelia,
I’m a skinny type 2! I was diagnosed in 2019 after experiencing continuous tiredness and serious RTIs. I was immediately put on 500mg of Metformin 3 times a day and a statin. However, the news was a bit of a shock; I never thought I would be diabetic considering I wasn’t overweight and had a normal BMI. However, after doing some research I learnt that the cause was most likely the visceral fat around my middle. So after a period of denial, in which I fell sick again, I changed my diet and joined the gym. I’m now fitter and healthier than I was back then and my HbA1c level went from 84mmol to 48mmol. Personally I think it’s more important to consider what you eat, rather than how much you eat. As advised above, healthy fats and proteins are good. Also, as you’ve been losing weight maybe ask for a T1D test. Be well!
Like you I was very shocked to get this diagnosis. I too may have the visceral fat I will just eat more protein and stick to the healthy fats as you advise. I miss bananas in custard

Like you I was very shocked to get this diagnosis. I too may have the visceral fat I will just eat more protein and stick to the healthy fats as you advise. I miss bananas in custard
If you make real custard from eggs and cream and add just a small amount of banana then you can still be low carb - just really skimp on carbs from other sources that day - it really is your choice as to how to eat this way.
I find very little difference in my reaction to carbs as starches or sugars - though fructose doesn't show up as exactly as carbs which break down into all glucose.
My usual dessert involves sugar free jelly and berries, as it is so bulked out I can't over eat it, particularly if I add yoghurt or cream.
I found it so easy and quick to put on weight before diagnosis that your problem bothers me a bit - though others have remarked that type 2 does seem to cover quite a few different possibilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back