Type 2 and insulin

JimG

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone
I am looking for some shared experience of Type 2 progression into higher blood sugar levels.

I am 70 years old and was diagnosed with Type 2 in 2009. I started to diet and lost weight. I was also prescribed metformin. Blood sugars came down and were managed. My HbA1C at the six monthly and then annual checks were fine. However, in 2021 the test was higher so I started finger pricks on a daily basis for a month or so and then went back to the GP. Following a discussion with the GP we added sitagliptin to the metformin. The GP said that sometimes Type 2 that has been managed for a while might have to move to insulin but we didn't need to think about it if the sitagliptin worked. I kept up the finger pricks to check that the sitagliptin was working. It was and I stopped the regular checks but just tested when I was feeling unwell. I was also tested when I was in hospital for a procedure for metastatic cancer on the lung. All of these checks seemed OK.

About a fortnight ago I went for a pre-assessment for a cataract operation and my blood sugar in the mid morning was 10. I have started regular morning finger pricks and they are moving between 6.3 and 7.5 with the majority around 7.0. I am going to keep going until I have a month of tests and then see the nurse at the GP practice.

Has anyone else any experience of progression onto insulin in a similar situation and did they move to insulin or further medication? I would like to have some practical experience before I speak with the nurse.

Thanks all

The original post was in early July. I have continued to monitor the waking blood sugar. Evening meal at 6.00pm. and blood sugar around 7.30am the next morning with nothing other than, occasionally, a couple of oatcakes or handful of redskin peanuts in the evening. No alcohol and no big nights out in all the period. The average is 6.5. The lowest 5.6 and the maximum 7.8. There was a 7.6 yesterday and I can see no reason for this other than the fact that I was feeling ill the day before. The question is, is that cause or effect. Today I am going to the GP arrange to bring forward my annual diabetes check. The last time my HbA1C had increased the doctor (not my usual GP) had mentioned insulin but had said that we could try sitagliptin with the metformin before moving on. I will see what happens this time but I feel that, thanks to the comments I received to the original post, I will be better prepared for the discussion that may follow.

Last edited:
Your fingerpricks don’t sound high and you really won’t be offered insulin at those levels. Whats your hba1c?

If I understand right you’re only on two diabetes medications? So you’d likely need a high hba1c, to try another tablet like a flozin or gliclazide, perhaps the option of trying the other too, then another high hba1c, before insulin was considered.

What do you typically eat for breakfast, lunch and evening meal? Just wondering if there is any room for dietary adjustment? Readings of 7-10 probably would not warrant insulin but perhaps the addition of another oral medication?

Like the others who have commented so far, i have Type 1 diabetes and can not comment based on my personal experience.
Reading many of the threads on this forum from people with Type 2 (and as mentioned at the top of every page), everyone manages their health differently.
Many people on this forum with type 2, find it very beneficial to reduce the amount of carbohydrates in their diet. This is not just sugar but everything from bread to potatoes to pasta to rice to cereal, etc.
There are some great alternatives such as cauliflower rice and swede mash and celeriac chips as well as off the shelf pasta based on lentils and stuff. There is a thread abo
ut food ideas which you may find helpful. https://forum.diabetes.org.uk/boards/threads/food-ideas-with-photos.101929

I am sure one of the regulars with type 2 will be along soon to give you their first hand experience which I know is more helpful than us "arm chair enthusiasts".

Good luck.

Your fingerpricks don’t sound high and you really won’t be offered insulin at those levels. Whats your hba1c?

If I understand right you’re only on two diabetes medications? So you’d likely need a high hba1c, to try another tablet like a flozin or gliclazide, perhaps the option of trying the other too, then another high hba1c, before insulin was considered.
HbA1c was 50 which was just above the 48 set as standard for that testing lab and it matched the previous two years. So, I was not concerned as the level had not changed. It was the 10 in the mid mmorning, over two hours after a bowl of porridge as my only food that day.

What do you typically eat for breakfast, lunch and evening meal? Just wondering if there is any room for dietary adjustment? Readings of 7-10 probably would not warrant insulin but perhaps the addition of another oral medication?
The 7.5 this morning was before breakfast and not having eaten since 6.00 p.m. the previous night. I am discussing diet with the dietician at the GP practice to deal with another issue and I may need to go back to her.

HbA1c was 50 which was just above the 48 set as standard for that testing lab and it matched the previous two years. So, I was not concerned as the level had not changed. It was the 10 in the mid mmorning, over two hours after a bowl of porridge as my only food that day.
The chance of going on insulin at those readings is about 0

Porridge is often recommended for breakfast as a "healthy" option but it is high in carbs and some of us who are diabetic simply can' cope with that many carbs on a morning. Changing your breakfast to something lower carb could make a significant difference to your overall levels. Eggs are good and very versatile as long as you limit any bread you have with them or many of us have creamy Greek style natural yoghurt with berries and mixed seeds or nuts.

Porridge is often recommended for breakfast as a "healthy" option but it is high in carbs and some of us who are diabetic simply can' cope with that many carbs on a morning. Changing your breakfast to something lower carb could make a significant difference to your overall levels. Eggs are good and very versatile as long as you limit any bread you have with them or many of us have creamy Greek style natural yoghurt with berries and mixed seeds or nuts.
Thanks for your comment but I will need to go back to the dietician. Eggs and berries (for different reasons) won't work for me because of other issues. I appreciate that I did not go into full details about issues following the cancer operation in 2017 (colectomy) and three goes at the liver for metastatic cancer as well as the lung.

Like the others who have commented so far, i have Type 1 diabetes and can not comment based on my personal experience.
Reading many of the threads on this forum from people with Type 2 (and as mentioned at the top of every page), everyone manages their health differently.
Many people on this forum with type 2, find it very beneficial to reduce the amount of carbohydrates in their diet. This is not just sugar but everything from bread to potatoes to pasta to rice to cereal, etc.
There are some great alternatives such as cauliflower rice and swede mash and celeriac chips as well as off the shelf pasta based on lentils and stuff. There is a thread abo
ut food ideas which you may find helpful. https://forum.diabetes.org.uk/boards/threads/food-ideas-with-photos.101929

I am sure one of the regulars with type 2 will be along soon to give you their first hand experience which I know is more helpful than us "arm chair enthusiasts".

Good luck.
Thanks. It is the practical experience I am looking for but even armchair enthusiasts may help me in the right direction.

Thanks for your comment but I will need to go back to the dietician. Eggs and berries (for different reasons) won't work for me because of other issues. I appreciate that I did not go into full details about issues following the cancer operation in 2017 (colectomy) and three goes at the liver for metastatic cancer as well as the lung.
You may find some options for meals in this link suitable for your other dietary needs. https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/
I'm not sure that glucose levels that you are getting would preclude you from your cataract surgery.

Back