Type 1
Hi,
What year were you diagnosed?
What age were you?

I was diagnosed with type 1 in 1992
Age was 31

I was diagnosed with T1 in early 2003
Age was 57.

Actually I was diagnosed T2 purely because of age. I had lost 2.5 stone rapidly, had high ketones and raging thirst. BG was over 40. I went onto insulin right away. It took quite a lot of persistence on my part to get the tests which proved I was T1. Things have moved on a lot since 2003 in terms of diabetes diagnosis and treatment.

Similar to @Pattidevans, only in 2007. I was 51 and also assumed to be Type 2 despite the huge and ongoing weight loss, thirst, etc. I don’t think anyone ever tested for ketones, and I didn’t know to ask. But with an HbA1c of 16% in old money, and my meter regularly saying 'Hi' to me, I’d be surprised if I didn’t, I remember walking back home up the very gentle hill with a bag of shopping, and feeling like I was wading through treacle.

Diagnosed 1989 at the age of 22.
I'd been hitching round France and Spain for a couple of months after college and spent most of my time trying to find toilets and then drinking.
Managed to make it to Southern Spain where I was meeting up with some friends who had just opened a health club. They took some finding but when I did finally walk through the gates of their club they couldn't believe the state of me. I'd lost 2 stone in weight. Still took another month to finally get home and see a Dr.

2019 age 56yrs.... the day after my birthday, although I had been symptomatic for 2 weeks before. Assumed Type 2 due to age and self confessed sugar addiction but there was always a question mark due to presentation ie. sudden onset symptoms, fit and reasonably active and not significantly overweight but losing it rapidly. Oral Type 2 meds did nothing and despite drastically restricting carbs, HbA1c went up instead of down and was started on insulin. 2 months later type 1 testing done and confirmed.

2017, aged 25. Diagnosed on Halloween night 😱

2004 mid 30s
Interesting to see this sample is more than 50% diagnosed as adults.

It's 100%...isn't it?
I was referring to the statistic that more than 50% of people with Type 1 are diagnosed as adults.
I was going to refer to it as the “often stated statistic” but i think that is only on fora like this as the general consensus seems to be that “Type 1 diabetes is typically diagnosed in childhood” and, sadly, people are still too commonly misdiagnosed as type 2 based on age.

1965 aged 4 1/2

My daughter in 2012 aged 6, as it says on my signature. She became ill on the night of her 6th birthday with some sort of virus, not just a cold but one of those which knocks you for six for a week and then takes at least another week to recover. We caught it off her just as she was starting to perk up and we were vying for who was more ill trying to get out of having to entertain her! And then we all got better, but she had a sweet smell permanently on her breath which I presume was ketones, she used to get that every time she was ill but this time it didn’t go away again, and she was diagnosed exactly 7 weeks later.

My mum in 1967 aged 22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back