Type 1 Diagnosed while in Army it took my dreams away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cuffie81

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
First of all Hello all,

I was in the Army when I got diagnosed Type 1.

Was young, fit, ambitious, career driven, lead by example, disciplined, dedicated and believed in the Moto at the time "BE THE BEST".

Was promoted early, first on courses, physically fit and was going places, on a report I always remember my company commander wrote "I believe if CPL C woke up tomorrow and decided to be an astronaut he would".

Then the next day to get told you are Type 1 diabetic, you can no longer go on ops, hold a rifle, do exercises, your excused for PT and downgraded to camp based UK only. Lets just say it shattered the world around me, stole my life, took away my dreams and with it part of who I was.

Now that was a few years ago and I've never forgave diabetes for that but now after a long time I want to take control, its my body it doesn't belong to diabetes, it belongs to me and it's not a disease it's a controlled condition.

I'm in charge now, my story folks.

DIABETIC ME

MY WAR AGAINST DIABETES

NOW IVE MADE PEACE WITH IT AND WILL CONTINUE TO BUILD AND STRENGTHEN AND TURN THOSE DARK TIMES INTO GREAT LEARNING TOOLS IN ORDER FOR MY WAR TO BE NOW AT PEACE AND TAKE ACCEPTANCE OF MY CONDITION AND REALISE THAT I CAN STILL ACHIEVE THE IMPOSSIBLE WITH OR WITHOUT TYPE 1 DIABETES

Hope it inspires people thank you for listening.

Welcome to the forum Cuffie. And I hope you find the support for your journey.

Well it's certainly a very heavy punch well below the belt for anyone whether you happen to be 20 and gainfully employed or 6 and at school and we've all been bereaved and need to grieve for what we've lost - however when you are bereaved in the normal sense of the words, you become accustomed to it and need to change your outlook on life, exactly the same as with diabetes.

You sound like a determined chap to me - so channel that determination by exploring what other fulfilling occupations you CAN do as a T1 diabetic - not the one you can't. There's no point in harbouring the resentment cos there isn't a cure, and continuing to resent it so openly will eat you up and destroy you, if you don't firstly determine that that is simply NOT going to happen because it's completely unacceptable to you.

First thing you may need to do is actually ASK for help! You couldn't have done the job you did without first being trained, could you? So this is new job - leading a fulfilling and rewarding life without the army but with T1 - and at first NOBODY knows how to do it.

You WILL get there - but only if you TRY.

Good luck!

Keep at it please Cuffie 81. Good luck & welcome 🙂. A young neighbour joined & the training was hard.😎

Hello @Cuffie81 and welcome to the forum.
Your diagnoses must have been a complete and utter b*mmer.
Now you have decided to accept things and take control/be in charge how about looking into the police force as people with type1 diabetes can be police officers.

First of all Hello all,

Was young, fit, ambitious, career driven, lead by example, disciplined, dedicated and believed in the Moto at the time "BE THE BEST".

Was promoted early, first on courses, physically fit and was going places, on a report I always remember my company commander wrote "I believe if CPL C woke up tomorrow and decided to be an astronaut he would".

Then the next day to get told you are Type 1 diabetic, you can no longer go on ops, hold a rifle, do exercises, your excused for PT and downgraded to camp based UK only. Lets just say it shattered the world around me, stole my life, took away my dreams and with it part of who I was.

Now that was a few years ago and I've never forgave diabetes for that but now after a long time I want to take control, its my body it doesn't belong to diabetes, it belongs to me and it's not a disease it's a controlled condition.

DIABETIC ME

MY WAR AGAINST DIABETES

NOW IVE MADE PEACE WITH IT AND WILL CONTINUE TO BUILD AND STRENGTHEN AND TURN THOSE DARK TIMES INTO GREAT LEARNING TOOLS IN ORDER FOR MY WAR TO BE NOW AT PEACE AND TAKE ACCEPTANCE OF MY CONDITION AND REALISE THAT I CAN STILL ACHIEVE THE IMPOSSIBLE WITH OR WITHOUT TYPE 1 DIABETES

Well Cuffie, if the person running the country (allegedly) can do it, then there’s an vital role for you, diabetes or not!

Well done you for rolling with the blows. You’ve adjusted your sails but still going strong. Good luck! 😛

That's a blow. Watched a few Videos from a Youtuber who got type 1 when in the Air Force (US) and he felt the same as you. Good luck in your future endeavours man 🙂

I was old, unfit and retired when I was diagnosed, but it was only type two.
It had no chance once I sorted out how to deal with it.
I've just got to get the car and load up for an exhibition tomorrow, so time is a bit short today, - but you already know about looking after your kit, have the discipline required to keep yourself safe, you'll find your way.

Well done for starting to accept your new normal life.
You have all the skills to take control of your diabetes,
and there is plenty of help available in here.

Are there specific areas of your management that you want to work on?

First of all Hello all,

DIABETIC ME

MY WAR AGAINST DIABETES

Hi,your post made me teary. My 13.5yr old son was diagnosed t1 7wks ago. He's in sea cadets and his dream and focus was on to join the navy.
I was heartbroken when nurse at hospital talking to him about t1 and then said 'don't worry u can still do whatever you like apart from joining the forces ' his breathing stopped for few seconds and then he just said ok and carried on listening. He's such a brave lad ,if I could I take this terrible illness from him I would in a second...He's coping really well, better than me, and I'm very proud of him... Anyway luckily we have amazing chief at cadets who will help him to choose career path where he can still be part of the navy as a civilian and not feel completely 'rejected'. It's all new to us but we're ready for anything and I keep reading all your posts and tips . All you t1 out there you're amazing and inspirational.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back