Type 1 and driving issues, advice required

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jabber

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hello everybody

Hopefully somebody out there will have some experiences related to my current issues

I have been enlisted to drive a support vehicle across Europe this summer for a charity cycling event. There are a few hurdles for which I have not yet obtained reliable information and I hope there may be some assistance here

Basically I need to know what size of vehicle I am permitted to drive under my medically restricted (3 year) UK driving licence both here and in The Netherlands, Germany, Switzerland and Italy. Having already made 104 ( yes !) calls to DVLA before obtaining a human on the other end, the outcome of those enquiries was wholly inadequate and inconclusive. The upshot being that the onus rests upon the driver to be certain if they are permitted to drive the vehicle they are intending to but with NO MEANS to ascertain how and what those rules are or, indeed, how to find them !!.....and so I am turning to online forums for any glimmer of hope

All research has mostly drawn confusing and unsatisfactory answers. DVLA's own online pages are quite literally useless. One finds an answer only for the following page to contradict those - utterly infuriating - surely these laws and rules cannot be so difficult to clarify !?

I am intending to drive a large size campervan, bigger than standard but nowhere near the upper weight limit I've been informed is permissable however, my licence states only a Category 'B' vehicle is legal for me to drive and yet DVLA cannot tell me what exactly is covered by Category 'B' and, again, the onus is placed upon myself to be certain without them offering any guidelines whatsoever

Before I claw out my own eyes, can anybody out there please offer any assistance from experience or point me in the direction of answers, regardless of how insignificant they might seem, otherwise I and a sizeable amount of charitable donations may have to abandon all hope !

Thank you for reading 😎

A simple search on the net provides your answer 🙂

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back