tv program

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a quick reminder it is on tonight the programme if anyones interested channel 4 at 9 o clock and the lady in question is actually in the show tonight and is preparing for her labour.

i will be ready i quite like this series is always such an emotional things to see a new baby coming into the world

I have to say that surely when you are in a restaurant you have to ''guesstimate' your carbs? Or do you never eat out?
To me thats the same as eating in hospital or anywhere you might be away form home?

I certainly dont carry a set of scales around with me, and we've always done alright. And if we do tend to underestimate the amount of insulin req'd ( as I would rather O ran a little high, he often burns it off anyway! ) we just do a correction dose at the next meal. It aint rocket science, is it??! 🙂

No, I don't live in a cloister, and yes, when required I will "guesstimate" carbs and like you say, it ain't normally rocket science (which, btw, is relatively simple from what I recall from uni). However, my point was that in my particular set of circumstances (which I suspect you have not had to deal with, with your son being male) my consultant obstetrician had given me very strict instructions that given my medical issues (type 1 diabetes with severe pre eclampsia at 33w pregnant), he wanted me to be 100% accurate on my carb counting and insulin doses, so that he would be aware immediately when my insulin requirements dropped off, as this would imply that the placenta was completely failing rapidly and baby would need to be delivered immediately if it was to survive. Given that the maternity hospital where this all was happening is supposed to be a diabetes centre of excellence, and that diabetes & PE are not by any means an unknown combination, I was (& remain) surprised that no consideration re meal provision had been made for the accuracy which he seemed to feel was necessary for insulin dependent diabetics in the late stages of pregnancy. I was in hospital for the best part of 2 weeks prior to delivery in the end, so just limiting my food intake to the few reliably carb countable things available (ie breakfast) without help from "outside" was not terribly practical. Frankly whilst trying to ensure my baby was born live I was just not willing to take a punt on rounding up the likely carb estimate & correcting with food as I would not know if it was the placenta failing or dodgy carb counting that had made me run low.

I haven't seen the channel 4 program yet, so can't comment on whether this particular woman was just being a muppet/naive/distracted by circumstances or whether the staff let her down, but all I can say is that in a medical environment, where a medical condition impacts / is impacted on by dietry issues, provision should be made to meet the needs of all patients. Seems simple to me really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back