tv program

Status
Not open for further replies.

grahams mum

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
did anybody watch on channel 4"one born every minute" there was a diabetic lady in labour and she have to wait 1 and half hour after the injection for her dinner because nobody knew which ward she was disgusting this is the kind of caring nurses and midwife we have in the NHS i am not surprise that the general public is ignorant about diabetes😱

Yeah i was disgusted myself poor lady,she went looking for her food on at least 3 occasions

I haven't seen the program. What exactly happened?

Whatever happened I highly doubt it was because the nurses/midwives didn't care.

The chinese lady was type 2 , she had been moved from upstairs to a downsttairs room , she was not inlabour but has the pains etc, anyway it was foof time and she was getting anxious she had injection and was waiting for her food, noting was coming for ages and she was getting annoyed at the amount of time she was waiting,she asked the nurse at least twice to see what had happened to her food but nothing and then she had to go looking herself with no joy, she came back to the room saying to her hubby ill have to eat ill have to eat so she was after choccie but her hubby convinced her to have a banana, anyway after another wait she goes to speak to the receptionist at the desk and the receptionsit replies im doing all i can for you quite aggresivly, to cut the story short they catering staff where not aware she had moved rooms .and yeah that is down to the staff they should of told the lady who does the food that the woamn had moved rooms then the poor lass would not of been feeling so starved.

Last edited:
I haven't seen the program. What exactly happened?

Whatever happened I highly doubt it was because the nurses/midwives didn't care.

You can catch up on channel 4od 🙂

Hate to say it but this totally rings true with my past & current experiences in a maternity hospital which shall remain nameless (as I shall be at their tender mercies again soon...!) When I was in there before you had to go & collect your meals from a hot locker thing at the other end of the ward, queueing to get them - in itself fine, but after a C section & having lost a LOT of blood (not to mention having been very ill with severe PE) it was hard work enough! One lady in the queue in front of me actually collapsed - the staff & other women didn't bat an eyelid & I had to shuffle run all the way back to the nurses desk back at the other end of the ward to get her some help - put it this way, they didn't exactly rush. More recently, another type 1 friend of mine was in having her baby, and because she was unable to get out of bed (they were monitoring or something, so she was just not able to get up & help herself) they forgot to give her a meal!!! Luckily she was self administering her insulin by then so just didn't have an injection - or a meal. Really hate to whinge about the nhs, normall y I think it's fab, but the maternity ward side of things in this neck of the woods seems a bit dire to me. (Should state the delivery ward was outstanding!!) Am I looking forward to going in again?...lets just say I'll be better prepared this time, with a bag full of food!! 😱

Hate to say it but this totally rings true with my past & current experiences in a maternity hospital which shall remain nameless (as I shall be at their tender mercies again soon...!) When I was in there before you had to go & collect your meals from a hot locker thing at the other end of the ward, queueing to get them - in itself fine, but after a C section & having lost a LOT of blood (not to mention having been very ill with severe PE) it was hard work enough! One lady in the queue in front of me actually collapsed - the staff & other women didn't bat an eyelid & I had to shuffle run all the way back to the nurses desk back at the other end of the ward to get her some help - put it this way, they didn't exactly rush. More recently, another type 1 friend of mine was in having her baby, and because she was unable to get out of bed (they were monitoring or something, so she was just not able to get up & help herself) they forgot to give her a meal!!! Luckily she was self administering her insulin by then so just didn't have an injection - or a meal. Really hate to whinge about the nhs, normall y I think it's fab, but the maternity ward side of things in this neck of the woods seems a bit dire to me. (Should state the delivery ward was outstanding!!) Am I looking forward to going in again?...lets just say I'll be better prepared this time, with a bag full of food!! 😱

Wasn't this once called torture, food deprivation? 🙄

really is neglect so can you imagine if somebody really old with diabetes goes to hospital?

When I was in hospital (at diagnosis) I was really impressed by the food. I even wrote to the catering manager afterwards to thank her - catering for thousands of people with a dozen options available each day and the food was always hot and well cooked. Unfortunately, I recently heard on the news that there is a new company on the contract and there are lots of complaints.

When I Went In Hospital With Graham (inoctober) The Food Was Un Edible And I Am An Adult And Quite Easy On Taste Graham Said To Me When The Plate Was Done" Look The Peas Are Mouldy Not Darling They Are Cooked To Long " And The Pasta Yuk Was Not Even Good For Pigs You Think That In The Children Ward Would Be Prepare Something Appealing

Sorry to bang on about the hospital food, but...

In our hospital, the maternity part is in a separate building from the main, so whilst in the main hospital you can request "diabetic meals" (which I suppose one might naively assume are carb countable, with reduced fat & sugar etc), for some bizarre reason apparently it is beyond the realms of human ingenuity to inlude these options on the maternity ward....because the hot locker thingy has to be wheeled over from the main hospital!! :confused: (Are those diabetic meals really heavy or something??)

I appreciate they don't often know who will be on the maternity ward at any given time (labour being a bit unpredictable lol!), but most diabetics tend to be stuck in for a few days at least, esp with a C section, so surely some provision for appropriate food could/should be made?? What's really infuriating is that you CAN get halal, veggie options etc...seems it's just it's just religious/lifestyle choice they respect, not medical need!!

The "food" they offer (& believe me, I'm not fussy) was in fairness utterly grim, so I didn't mind not eating it - my hubby brought in sandwiches & salads for me for 2 1/2 weeks so I could at least carb count. The stuff on the trolley was all things like shephards pie, ie not easily carb countable (unless you brought in your own kitchen scales, scraped the potato off & weighed it - not easy with a drip in the back of each hand!). I've asked about the food this time and apparently nothing's changed - but the dietician would be willing to come over & "help me carb estimate" if needed as she has the "typical values per portion". (which surely depends on who's slopping it out on the day & with what spoon...!?!). The scary thing is last time the consultant obstetrician told us that we had to be 100% accurate in our carb counting as one of the best clues he would have that the pre eclampsia was getting to the point where immediate delivery was essential to preserve baby's life would be a sudden drop in insulin requirements - ie unexplained hypos - this is apparently due to the placenta failing - pretty critical for baby then?!!! When we tried to explain this to the staff on the ward they were basically utterly dismissive & seemed to assume this was total rubbish & I was just being a fussy madam. NOT impressed. I know best case scenario I'll be stuck in again for 3-5 days with a section again, but hopefully not 2 1/2 weeks this time! (Salad gets really boring...!!)

Anyway, off my soapbox - sorry but this not taking diabetic's need to be able to carb count (whether every diabetic choses to or not, they should be able to!) really is a sore point with me!! Right, back into my box now... 😱

I have to say that surely when you are in a restaurant you have to ''guesstimate' your carbs? Or do you never eat out?
To me thats the same as eating in hospital or anywhere you might be away form home?

I certainly dont carry a set of scales around with me, and we've always done alright. And if we do tend to underestimate the amount of insulin req'd ( as I would rather O ran a little high, he often burns it off anyway! ) we just do a correction dose at the next meal. It aint rocket science, is it??! 🙂

When I was in hospital (at diagnosis) I was really impressed by the food. I even wrote to the catering manager afterwards to thank her - catering for thousands of people with a dozen options available each day and the food was always hot and well cooked. Unfortunately, I recently heard on the news that there is a new company on the contract and there are lots of complaints.

When my late mother was in hospital in 1998 she contracted C Diff. When she was over the worse she still continued to lose weight as the food was inedible. It was so bad that on one occasion the sister sent it back. The contract was held by "Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves" - PM me if you cannot work it out. Aftyer a month she was transferred to the local cottage hospital (now under threat of closure) and started gaining weight. The reason was that all the food was prepared on site by people who took pride in their work resulting in a good choice of perfectly cooked food.

I can see both sides here, I know food should be organised etc etc in this ladies case, but I wil never take a bolus of insulin for food that is not in my sight or on the plate right in front of me! Ive learned that one the hard way.

I know there are many cases (maybe this one too- I havent seen the program) of bad service and standard of food, but I would also assume this lady to take some responsibility for her insulin if she is self-caring also.

Just my thoughts! 🙂

I have to agree with above, its been clear all along to me that when I am admitted into hospital to be induced then I will remain in control of my insulin etc, think the only thing they bother about is if ur using ur own meter or theirs (dunno why) The lady in the programme really shouldnt of taken her insulin having already known there might of been a problem with her meal because of the ward change.
I watched the tv programme (stupidly) and I think the woman was just moaning about everything lol her poor man didnt stand a chance, I actually think she has delivered on the show yet (on c4) so she will prob be back on next week.
I think the care/food issue must be individual to where you live as being a diabetic of 20 years and also doing my final year of nursing I have never once seen or experienced these problems and i have been hospitalised a few times in my years haha 🙂

I just watched it on 4 on demand. I was bitterly distracted by the "Veruca Salt" having a traumatic birth at the begining to take any notice what so ever of the other lady induced in labour with diabetes! Phew! Thats all I can say about Veruca!

Yes it was bad they sent her food to the wrong ward after she had moved. But she got it at half past one. Unfortunately this lady says she took her injection already- dont know when or what. She complained a lot, but hey, it probably isnt nice the circumstance she finds herself in.

Lou- the reason with using their own meters is that hospital meters are normally calibrated with test solutions once every 24 hours and documented with a signature. It reduces the scope for inaccurate readings in relation to the dose of insulin that is prescribed and given (when not self caring). I hate to use the buzz word but its all about accountability. (Oh my god, I mentioned accountability, its definately time to go to bed!).

I wonder what on earth the ladies labour will be like? I will tuned into the next episode!

Last edited:
I just watched it on 4 on demand. I was bitterly distracted by the "Veruca Salt" having a traumatic birth at the begining to take any notice what so ever of the other lady induced in labour with diabetes! Phew! Thats all I can say about Veruca!

Yes it was bad they sent her food to the wrong ward after she had moved. But she got it at half past one. Unfortunately this lady says she took her injection already- dont know when or what. She complained a lot, but hey, it probably isnt nice the circumstance she finds herself in.

Lou- the reason with using their own meters is that hospital meters are normally calibrated with test solutions once every 24 hours and documented with a signature. It reduces the scope for inaccurate readings in relation to the dose of insulin that is prescribed and given (when not self caring). I hate to use the buzz word but its all about accountability. (Oh my god, I mentioned accountability, its definately time to go to bed!).

I wonder what on earth the ladies labour will be like? I will tuned into the next episode!

when i was in hospital with graham wi always use our mete maybe is different for children?

when i was in hospital with graham wi always use our mete maybe is different for children?

Probably its individual to each hospitals policy. When I was in hospital I still used my own as I am used to my own meter but gave them a bit of the same drop of blood for their meter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back