Trulicity shots anxiety

FidoCheese

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone,
I'm completely new to the group and I'm really happy to be here.

I've been a type 2 diabetic since late 2016 early 2017. I've been on metformin and pioglitazone as well as atorvastatin for my cholesterol as I have a fatty liver.

I used to work in a local hospital as a healthcare assistant on medical assessment unit and then moved to the discharge lounge. I literally walked miles and miles every day on duty.

I then changed my role to ward clerk on the endoscopy unit, where I was sat down for 10 hours a day, booking in patients at reception. I piled the weight on, going from 14 stone to 16 stone now.

I left the trust in June 2021, and landed office based jobs - all sit down unfortunately.

My local diabetic nurse has offered me a fairly new medication which is an injection called Trulicity.

I must admit I'm rather anxious about getting this medication, as I don't particularly like injections. I have not had any covid jabs. I self supplement instead - Vit D, Vit C, Zinc, Magnesium and Nac.

I am struggling with my weight mainly due to my admin job. Although I have started walking 4 to 6 miles every night after work. I also walk around the block on my lunch breaks.

What I want to ask the forum is, has anyone used Trulicity or currently taking it? And what are your thoughts and experiences? Has it been a success as regards weight loss and blood sugar levels? What, if any, side effects have you experienced? Do they last or subside as your body gets used to it?

Can you still exercise whilst taking Trulicity?

Many thanks.

Welcome to the forum, I have no experience of the injections, a few people do I think.
What is your management of your blood glucose levels like, and what dietary approach are you following to manage them.
If that is not so good then looking seriously at your carbohydrate intake would help with that and with weight loss.
If you would like to post the sort of meals you have then people might be able to make some suggestions.
This link may help you with some new thoughts on modifying your diet to help with the weight loss. https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/

Welcome to the forum, I have no experience of the injections, a few people do I think.
What is your management of your blood glucose levels like, and what dietary approach are you following to manage them.
If that is not so good then looking seriously at your carbohydrate intake would help with that and with weight loss.
If you would like to post the sort of meals you have then people might be able to make some suggestions.
This link may help you with some new thoughts on modifying your diet to help with the weight loss. https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/
At my GP surgery, they don't give patients the glucometer finger pricks, so my guess is as good as yours.

I eat cereal and toast for breakfast, tinned soup, sandwiches or pasty for dinner then my parents have made the tea when I get home from work. At weekends I drink 8 or 9 pints of Guinness which doesn't do me any good. Once I get the taste I'm like Oliver Reed lol.

I eat rubbish like takeaway and drink a lot at weekends mainly because of depression. I have been suffering from chronic tinnitus since 2007. Plus the antidepressant I'm on (Mirtazapine) increases my appetite.

Thank you I'll take a look at the link you shared.

At my GP surgery, they don't give patients the glucometer finger pricks, so my guess is as good as yours.

I eat cereal and toast for breakfast, tinned soup, sandwiches or pasty for dinner then my parents have made the tea when I get home from work. At weekends I drink 8 or 9 pints of Guinness which doesn't do me any good. Once I get the taste I'm like Oliver Reed lol.

I eat rubbish like takeaway and drink a lot at weekends mainly because of depression. I have been suffering from chronic tinnitus since 2007. Plus the antidepressant I'm on (Mirtazapine) increases my appetite.

Hi @FidoCheese
welcome to the forum, hope you find the forum helps you.

The carb laden diet you describe sounds like the kind of diet I was previously eating,
that was up until I decided I had to finally get diabetes under some kind of control for me.

Ive found I didn’t have to give up everything.
for example I still eat a slice of toast for breakfast,
but usually with a poached egg or even 2 eggs (lower carb bread)
if I want to take a sandwich with me for lunch I do, but would rarely buy a sandwich,
I use the same wholemeal bread.

I’ve found can be quite an eye opener to read the nutritional label of bread in the supermarke,
Ive found a few loaves with around 9/10g of carb per slice, which isn’t to bad,

I’m no expert but briefly I think getting a better control, by reducing the carb laden foods
and increasing the quantity of foods rich in protein.

did your GP / DSN tell you your Hba1c ?

As for advice on Trulicity, I’ve been on it for nearly 6 months,
no problems or side effects (for me)

although I’ve found since I’ve been on Trulicity I’ve actually stopped losing so much weight as I was previously, that’s when I was taking Ozempic.

I was switched from Ozempic to Trulicity - when a consultant felt as I have diabetic retinopathy, Trulicity might be a better medication for me.

Diabetic Retinopathy is just one of the conditions I suffer from (bought on by to many years of poor control)
you being from a healthcare background may know a little of the some of the conditions that can result from continuous poor blood sugars. I have / had other diabetic related conditions to

Hence about 2 years ago I gave myself, the much needed kick up the backside I needed,
to get my levels under better control.

You will probably find before you get prescribed Trulicity you will be referred to Diabetic clinic at your local hospital, which is good because they will most likely put you in touch with Dietician also.

Good luck,
there’s certainly plenty of help and good advice out there on this forum.

Last edited:

I can imagine with the diet you have your blood glucose is going to be very high, and you are putting yourself at serious risk of complications of diabetes.
An HbA1C test will really tell you where you are with your blood glucose and you should ask your GP for that with some urgency. Most surgeries do not give a monitor and strips which is why many choose to self fund to enable them to manage their blood glucose levels. Inexpensive ones can be bought on line the GlucoNavii being one with the cheapest strips, It would be a better investment than a few pints of your Guinness.
Seeing what you are eating I am finding it hard to believe you are not joking as most people with Type 2 diabetes would not eat any of the things you mention.
There is no way any amount of medication is going to benefit you unless you address your diet. Sorry to be blunt but you are putting yourself at serious risk.
Please do see your GP to try to get some help.

Hi @FidoCheese
welcome to the forum, hope you find the forum helps you.

The carb laden diet you describe sounds like the kind of diet I was previously eating,
that was up until I decided I had to finally get diabetes under some kind of control for me.

Ive found I didn’t have to give up everything.
for example I still eat a slice of toast for breakfast,
but usually with a poached egg or even 2 eggs (lower carb bread)
if I want to take a sandwich with me for lunch I do, but would rarely buy a sandwich,
I use the same wholemeal bread.

I’ve found can be quite an eye opener to read the nutritional label of bread in the supermarke,
Ive found a few loaves with around 9/10g of carb per slice, which isn’t to bad,

I’m no expert but briefly I think getting a better control, by reducing the carb laden foods
and increasing the quantity of foods rich in protein.

did your GP / DSN tell you your Hba1c ?

As for advice on Trulicity, I’ve been on it for nearly 6 months,
no problems or side effects (for me)

although I’ve found since I’ve been on Trulicity I’ve actually stopped losing so much weight as I was previously, that’s when I was taking Ozempic.

I was switched from Ozempic to Trulicity - when a consultant felt as I have diabetic retinopathy, Trulicity might be a better medication for me.

Diabetic Retinopathy is just one of the conditions I suffer from (bought on by to many years of poor control)
you being from a healthcare background may know a little of the some of the conditions that can result from continuous poor blood sugars. I have / had other diabetic related conditions to

Hence about 2 years ago I gave myself, the much needed kick up the backside I needed,
to get my levels under better control.

You will probably find before you get prescribed Trulicity you will be referred to Diabetic clinic at your local hospital, which is good because they will most likely put you in touch with Dietician also.

Good luck,
there’s certainly plenty of help and good advice out there on this forum.
Hi goodybags, thank you for your message and very useful information.

I have my hb1ca result but I don't take any notice because I don't know what it means.

Tonight I went in my GP and organised a date and time for my first shot of Trulicity. I'll give it a try and see how it goes. I've got nothing to lose and everything to gain. If it doesn't suit me I'll knock it on the head.

Last week, I stopped taking my pioglitazone and threw them in the bin, because the doctor at the hospital said they cause weight gain. I didn't inform my GP which was stupid really. I now have itchy legs, arms and back.

Maybe it's with stopping the pioglitazone.

Anyway, I have my first injection on Wednesday 22nd June.

I am walking every night after work. 4 to 6 miles. I also walk on my dinner break around the trading estate.

Cheers once again.

Hope the Trulicity suits you well @FidoCheese, and you find the jab is not as difficult as you fear.

As you say you have nothing to lose and everything to gain. :)

Are you getting any help and support for your mental health? (other than the tablets).

Elevated and erratic blood glucose levels can have a negative effect on mood - so don’t underestimate the potential positive effects of trying some changes in the balance of your meds and your menu. And it doesn’t have to be ‘all at once’ either. You can work away at it gradually, bit by bit. As Tesco would tell you - every little really does help.

Look after your whole self :)

I like many others never used to (when my diabetes was spiralling out of contro) take no notice of my HbA1c or really at that point understand why it was important,
or what the score meant,

iin-fact I used to leave the surgery feeling like I’d just been told off.

I got my levels down from over 100 as others on this forum have, so it can be done

I am currently on 2000mg of Metformin, but starting this Tuesday my nurse wants to put me on Trulicity as she has found good results with this on most patients, so hope I benefit. I believe there are good weight loss results as a side effect, hope that is the case

I guess my posts/concerns/questions are not interesting enough for any of you throughout the various threads on this forum to ever warrant an acknowledgement.

I'm sorry for my late reply. Been very busy and I also lost my login details. Glad to hear it is working for you.

I like many others never used to (when my diabetes was spiralling out of contro) take no notice of my HbA1c or really at that point understand why it was important,
or what the score meant,

iin-fact I used to leave the surgery feeling like I’d just been told off.

I got my levels down from over 100 as others on this forum have, so it can be done
Well done and congrats for your hard work on getting your levels to be more manageable.

Back