Triple therapy benefits type-1-diabetes patients by improving blood sugar control and weight loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Researchers have found a combination of three medications, dapagliflozin, liraglutide and insulin, to prove beneficial for people with type-1-diabetes in improving the status of their blood sugar control and lose weight.

The study findings are important, said study senior researcher Paresh Dandona from the University at Buffalo, because majority of type-1-diabetes patients do not have controlled and monitored blood glucose levels.

But the triple therapy has provided impressive results by improving blood glucose control and also led to weight loss. In the study, 30 people having type-1-diabetes took part and they were already taking liraglutide and insulin. Out of them, 20 participants were randomly assigned to have 10 milligrams of dapaglifozin daily for 12 weeks and others received a placebo for the same period.

http://perfscience.com/content/2144...es-patients-improving-blood-sugar-control-and

No, sorry, I don't see this. Sounds to me like they are trying to replace proper education with pills - maybe 'the majority of Type 1s' with poorly-controlled levels aren't following a diet, exercise and insulin regime compatible with good control? I certainly accept that some people may struggle with insulin resistance, and for that metformin or some lizard spit (liraglutide) can be beneficial, but throwing this lot at people just because they have poor control is putting a sticking plaster over a festering wound :(

It says some of the people who were on the triple therapy got DKA. I just Googled dapaglifozin, and DKA is a recorded side effect. Scary!

I think we sometimes forget that most of us on here are probably more pro-active in how we are managing our diabetes compared to the wider population. I know this is an American study but the average HbA1c for type 1's in the UK was something scarily high - 8% or 9% ??. My control's not bad but I'm not sure I'd want to go on it anyway - lose weight and there'd be nowt left of me. 😱:D

Strikes me it's a bit strange Type 1s taking liraglutide, let alone dapaglifoxin. I agree with Northerner, this looks like an attempt to control diabetes in those who can't be arsed to do it themselves. You can't medicate stupidity out of people.

It says some of the people who were on the triple therapy got DKA. I just Googled dapaglifozin, and DKA is a recorded side effect. Scary!

Ive just started Empagliflozin and a recorded side effect is DKA!!! Maybe its a side effect of all gliflozins.

Ive just started Empagliflozin and a recorded side effect is DKA!!! Maybe its a side effect of all gliflozins.
I thought they were meant to lower your BGs, and that DKA was a result of high ones, seems a bit a**e about face to me. But go carefully with it, Stitch!

I thought they were meant to lower your BGs, and that DKA was a result of high ones, seems a bit a**e about face to me. But go carefully with it, Stitch!

I thought the same too!!! Dr did prescribe me with some ketostix in case I get any DKA symptoms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back