Travelling with T1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve just come back from a trip to Ozand NZ and followed most of the guidelines already mentioned above. I always had my meds, including spares of everything, with me albeit in 2 separate carry on bags. Pens in use in one bag and all spare stuff in another. Most airlines allow an extra carryon bag if it’s a medical bag.

Security staff hand swabbed my spare sensors as requested and it didn’t take much longer getting through security. I was asked to produce a medical letter on 3 occasion, so definitely best to get one issued.

Spare Insulin was in and out of many fridges but didn’t seem to affect it. Used cooler bag and ice packs when travelling.

It was 36 degrees in Sydney at one point which affected BG levels but not too drastically. Also crossing time zones, I was careful not to take too much basal, and actually skipped a dose and took in next time zone. (So would be 11 hours late) could then restart my normal 24 hour daily regime. All worked relatively well.

I should mention that I am a recently diagnosed LADA and could be that my body is still pumping out some insulin which helped keep BG more stable.

For peace of mind you might want to check that the insulins you use are available in Oz and what name they are marketed under - just in case of emergency.

Hope this helps a little. Have a fabulous trip.

I cannot recommend a Frio case enough. In Mexico we had a fridge in the room but it was so warm there the insulin wouldn’t have even lasted in the heat from the airport to the hotel.
Worth every penny, and now I use it in the uk for local trips as not all hotels etc have fridges and you don’t know when you might drop a pen and need a spare.

On the point of the Frio containers does that mean the containers with ice packs?

If it does is there not the chance of freezing the insulin which is not good ?

On the point of the Frio containers does that mean the containers with ice packs?

If it does is there not the chance of freezing the insulin which is not good ?
No, Frio does not use ice.
Frio wallets contain crystals that expand when you soak them in water. The water condenses over a few days and it is this water that cools the insulin.
This is why they are no use for keeping insulin from freezing in cold temperatures - they do not provide insulation.
Check them out here: https://friouk.com/

One word of caution. Although this has not happened to me.
When the crystals are soaked, they turn into a gel. Some airport security guys are suspicious of gel (looks a bit like gelignite) so you may way to delay the soaking until you have been through security. Insulin lasts fine in the middle of your hand luggage in airports and airport transfers (even some very hot places) for more than 24 hours.

Last edited:
Frio wallets contain crystals that expand when you soak them in water. The water condenses over a few days and it is this water that cools the insulin.
This is why they are no use for keeping insulin from freezing in cold temperatures - they do not provide insulation.
They are really useful as to top up they only need a little soak in water, which can be done in a bowl or sink on the go. I got the large one which was enough for 2 weeks plus spares for me of both insulins.

One word of caution. Although this has not happened to me.
When the crystals are soaked, they turn into a gel. Some airport security guys are suspicious of gel (looks a bit like gelignite) so you may way to delay the soaking until you have been through security. Insulin lasts fine in the middle of your hand luggage in airports and airport transfers (even some very hot places) for more than 24 hours.
Thanks for that advice. I have ordered one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back