Travelling with T1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kathy85

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi folks
I'm looking for some advice as I'm travelling to Australia for a few weeks and I'm looking tips/advice on how best to prepare for going and when I'm in Australia. Any advice is much appreciated ☺️

Thanks

My general rules are 1) that I bring double of everything I will need, plus another 1 for luck and 2) that my diabetes kit does not leave my side whilst actually travelling. Have a good trip 🙂

My general rules are 1) that I bring double of everything I will need, plus another 1 for luck and 2) that my diabetes kit does not leave my side whilst actually travelling. Have a good trip 🙂
Also, split supplies in two separate bags, so if one gets lost you still have the other one.

Also, split supplies in two separate bags, so if one gets lost you still have the other one.
Take care doing this - often you are only allowed one carry on bag and someone without diabetes may not be able to carry diabetes kit through airport security.

I would add make sure your travel insurance covers your diabetes and, if you are going to a hot part of Australia, I recommend Frio wallet to keep your insulin in.

Take care doing this - often you are only allowed one carry on bag and someone without diabetes may not be able to carry diabetes kit through airport security.
I have a letter from my gp which I show at security if anyone queries the needles, and never had a problem. I used to travel a lot for work, and in my experience airport security are aware of what diabetics need to carry, and are fine with it.

I have a letter from my gp which I show at security if anyone queries the needles, and never had a problem. I used to travel a lot for work, and in my experience airport security are aware of what diabetics need to carry, and are fine with it.
Yes, you carry it, as I have done for 100s of flights. The letter does not apply to someone else carrying your diabetes kit for you. This is something I have seen others suggest in the past as an option when you are only able to carry one piece of luggage.

Yes, you carry it, as I have done for 100s of flights. The letter does not apply to someone else carrying your diabetes kit for you. This is something I have seen others suggest in the past as an option when you are only able to carry one piece of luggage.
Sorry, when I said split in two I meant something like half in the checked in luggage and half in the cabin bag. Not that someone else carries half and you carry half. As the OP is going to Australia I expect they carry both checked in and cabin bags.

Sorry, when I said split in two I meant something like half in the checked in luggage and half in the cabin bag. Not that someone else carries half and you carry half. As the OP is going to Australia I expect they carry both checked in and cabin bags.
But there's not a whole lot that's particularly suitable for checked in luggage. Extra needles, maybe.

Sorry, when I said split in two I meant something like half in the checked in luggage and half in the cabin bag.
I would never include any diabetes supplies in checked in luggage. Obviously you couldn’t do this with insulin as it would spoil in the cold of the airplane hold, but I wouldn’t trust even test strips, needles or anything else to be honest as losing these would be too much of a risk to me. I have always ensured I have all supplies in my carry on so they are with me all the time.

I would definitely recommend Frio pouches for insulin, having used these for years in various hot countries with great success.

I also carry a letter from my hospital detailing I need to carry needles, insulin, Libre, etc. but never had any issues with airport security. Just make sure you tell security about Libre and ask for a manual swab test on the spare sensors rather than Xray, they will do this without any bother.

It is not advised to put any of your medical equipment/drugs in checked in luggaage. That luggage could go missing. Plus there is a possibility for insulin to get too cold in the hold.
It is advised to keep everything in hand luggage. And hypo treatment with you at your seat, not in the overhead locker.

I would also consider taking your long acting at the same time as the UK( i.e. 11pm uk time = 6pm Canada time when I was travelling to Canada. )this was recommended by my DSN and I worked well and made it easier for the return to the UK with the jet lag.

It is a bit of an urban myth that the luggage hold freezes, see for instance here:
There's no reason why the insulin would spoil. Bear in mind that animals travel in the hold.

When I used to travel for work, for instance, spending a week in the US I would do as follows:
  • In hand luggage, hypo treatment, pens currently in use, needles and tester, strips, lancets. Plus two spare pens of each type and enough extra needles to last the trip. This was a small rucksack that I placed under the seat.
  • In checked in luggage, two spare pens of each type, enough needles to last the trip, spare tester, strips and lancets.
I never had insulin go bad in the checked in suitcase.

Regarding keeping the long acting insulin times, it probably depends how long the trip is, and the time difference. In my case, even for a week I would stick to local time for the long acting insulin, and cover the gaps with fast acting as needed.

This worked for me, but as usual we are all individuals (except the odd guy in Life of Bryan).

There are some general suggestions for travelling with diabetes here which might help?

and NHS guidance here

I wouldn’t risk putting insulin in the hold personally. I‘ve always used a reusable pen with cartridges, and now I’m back to vials again, so lots and lots of insulin takes up very little room 🙂

It’s the same as I’d always go for a pat-down. The security staff may be full of confidence that my pump and sensors will be fine though the all-body scanner… but it’s me that’s off to foreign parts, and it’s the kit that keeps me alive, so while the manufacturers continue to advise against it I will take the pat down every time!

It is a bit of an urban myth that the luggage hold freezes,
I gave the primary reason that hold luggage can go missing.
This has happened multiple times including my luggage arriving after I left.
Therefore, I never risk being separated from any of my diabetes kit whilst traveling.
It's not as if it takes up much space, especially as I have always used the more environmentally friendly and robust reusable pens. And if it is with me, I don't need to worry about it going missing.
The amount of insulin, test strips, needles, etc. is, at least, twice as much as I need of everything including spare batteries for my meter and, now a spare CGM .

Last edited:
It is a bit of an urban myth that the luggage hold freezes, see for instance here:
There's no reason why the insulin would spoil. Bear in mind that animals travel in the hold.

When I used to travel for work, for instance, spending a week in the US I would do as follows:
  • In hand luggage, hypo treatment, pens currently in use, needles and tester, strips, lancets. Plus two spare pens of each type and enough extra needles to last the trip. This was a small rucksack that I placed under the seat.
  • In checked in luggage, two spare pens of each type, enough needles to last the trip, spare tester, strips and lancets.
I never had insulin go bad in the checked in suitcase.

Regarding keeping the long acting insulin times, it probably depends how long the trip is, and the time difference. In my case, even for a week I would stick to local time for the long acting insulin, and cover the gaps with fast acting as needed.

This worked for me, but as usual we are all individuals (except the odd guy in Life of Bryan).

But it’s very risky to put insulin in the hold. Has no-one listened to Cabin Pressure? :rofl: Cat?? Seriously, during that episode it was made clear that they have hold heating which can be turned on or off. If it’s off, there’s a risk of insulin freezing (and dead cats!).

I gave the primary reason that hold luggage can go missing.
This has happened multiple times including my luggage arriving after I left.
Therefore, I never risk being separated from any of my diabetes kit whilst traveling.
It's not as if it takes up much space, especially as I have always used the more environmentally friendly and robust reusable pens. And if it is with me, I don't need to worry about it going missing.
The amount of insulin, test strips, needles, etc. is, at least, twice as much as I need of everything including spare batteries for my meter and, now a spare CGM .
The purpose of the split is redundancy. If my suitcase went missing I had the stash in my rucksack. When my rucksack was stolen at Amsterdam train station I had the stash in my suitcase to fall back on. I didn't come up with this approach, it was a suggestion in a diabetes magazine in the dark ages before the Internet.

But it’s very risky to put insulin in the hold. Has no-one listened to Cabin Pressure? :rofl: Cat?? Seriously, during that episode it was made clear that they have hold heating which can be turned on or off. If it’s off, there’s a risk of insulin freezing (and dead cats!).
It specifically says that it is pressurised and minimum temperature is about 7C.

@Carlos redundancy is a great idea. Personally, I split my supplies once I pick up my hold luggage. That way, I am not separated from them when the hold luggage doesn't make the flight

It specifically says that it is pressurised and minimum temperature is about 7C.

Perhaps it varies between plane types? I always keep my insulin in my hand luggage. I do sometimes put some extra testing strips in my suitcase though (with lots in my hand luggage along with the rest of my diabetes stuff).

Perhaps it varies between plane types? I always keep my insulin in my hand luggage. I do sometimes put some extra testing strips in my suitcase though (with lots in my hand luggage along with the rest of my diabetes stuff).
It seems to be the same on all modern aircraft, see for instance the discussion here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back