Travelling abroad

Status
Not open for further replies.

The robin

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 3c
Hi all. I only developed type 3 c diabetes last September, so have not travelled abroad with it yet. We are hoping to go away later this year. I’ve printed a template of a letter for my doctor to sign stating what I should be allowed to carry on me. Does anyone know if I have to inform the airline of my medical status. Is wearing a libre sensor an issue when going through the detectors. Thanks

I don't know about informing airline. Just to warn you your GP will most probably charge you for signing the letter.

I don't know about informing airline. Just to warn you your GP will most probably charge you for signing the letter.
Really!! I’ll let you know when I take it in.

Pre-pandemic, I was a frequent traveller.
I have never told an airline about the contents of my bag unless they ask if I have sharp items. I tell them I do, wait a beat to see a start of panic on their face, then tell them I have diabetes and they relax.
My letter is from my diabetes team at the hospital because GPs charge. I did not provide a template. They have written these letters so often they know what is important. The letter is written in such a way it can be used for multiple trips.
I have warn my Libre for many flights and never had to tell anyone. It is not spotted on metal detectors.

The most important thing is to keep everything in your hand luggage and your hypo treatment with you in your seat.

Scrap that, the most important thing is to have a great trip 🙂

Pre-pandemic, I was a frequent traveller.
I have never told an airline about the contents of my bag unless they ask if I have sharp items. I tell them I do, wait a beat to see a start of panic on their face, then tell them I have diabetes and they relax.
My letter is from my diabetes team at the hospital because GPs charge. I did not provide a template. They have written these letters so often they know what is important. The letter is written in such a way it can be used for multiple trips.
I have warn my Libre for many flights and never had to tell anyone. It is not spotted on metal detectors.

The most important thing is to keep everything in your hand luggage and your hypo treatment with you in your seat.

Scrap that, the most important thing is to have a great trip 🙂
Thanks Helli,that’s very helpful. I’ll ask my DSN nurse to sort a letter out for me rather than having to pay at the GPS. Has your libre ever malfunctioned in any way after going through the metal detectors?
I agree,having a great trip is definitely most important.

Thanks Helli,that’s very helpful. I’ll ask my DSN nurse to sort a letter out for me rather than having to pay at the GPS. Has your libre ever malfunctioned in any way after going through the metal detectors?
I agree,having a great trip is definitely most important.
The X-rays have no effect on Libre.
However, I always take plenty of test strips and, if I am going for a reasonable time, I take a spare Libre. That has nothing to do with the travel or X-rays. I always carry backups of everything- extra insulin, strips, insulin pens (I have refillable pens), batteries for my meter, …

The X-rays have no effect on Libre.
However, I always take plenty of test strips and, if I am going for a reasonable time, I take a spare Libre. That has nothing to do with the travel or X-rays. I always carry backups of everything- extra insulin, strips, insulin pens (I have refillable pens), batteries for my meter, …
That’s good to know. Yes,I’d plan to take extra/spares of everything,thanks.

That’s good to know. Yes,I’d plan to take extra/spares of everything,thanks.
I went to Wales last September for 6 days joining a group of 20 from different parts of UK and was amazed at how much extra "stuff" I had with me and I was travelling by car. Then I found the Premier Inn was really close to 2 supermarkets and I truly shouldn't have bothered with the excess snacks or lucozade! So how much you take depends on where you're going to and how easy it will be to find cereal bars etc, with nutrition info on the packaging. India or Cambodia might be challenging!

But the real challenge through the week was in getting a good sense of the carb content of the meals, particularly dinner. Lockdown had played havoc with Premier Inn's food resupplies and from a menu of well over 20 choices there were less than 10 items actually available. Breakfast was easy from the self-service buffet, I had my measuring scoops! Most lunches were out somewhere and I bought crisps and a sandwich from the supermarket, a couple of times I went mad and had smoked salmon on Nairn's oatcakes. But dinner required a lot of negotiation, an hour+ in advance, to get portion sizes I wanted from the few choices that existed. That said, it worked; I found the chefs understood the need for being accurate for me. But just once, the pre-arranged and re-agreed 20mins from ordering to food on the table (my normal pre-bolus) got forgotten and one dinner I was in the very low 4s taking JBs, waiting for food. The whole evening then became a true roller coaster on LibreLink and that cascaded into the following morning; lesson learnt.

The hotel didn't have a fridge, but I'd taken a couple of ultra-light jiffy bags and double wrapped my insulin in those. There was a moment of panic when I had all my DM kit in one backpack and thought I'd left it somewhere. I hadn't, but it made me realise I ought to have 2 of everything important, one set in a safe place (which was my car boot parked at the hotel) the other set with me. So I divided everything in half, pens, insulin cartridges, finger prickers, meters and strips. I already had, by chance, 2 of the low cost (pound land or similar) small insulated "picnic" bags, which worked brilliantly. Then even if I was robbed at gunpoint, I knew there was a reserve! If you don't have 2 finger prickers and 2 meters try asking the manufacturer to send you spares, a tip I got from another T1. Their profit is in the strips not the pricker or meter and once they established I was insulin dependent they were very accommodating; for me that is Roche and the Accuchek Mobile. They asked me for the serial nos of my devices, which I'd previously registered with them, so they knew I was legitimate.

I took 2 spare Libres for the week, unboxed to minimise space. At that time I'd been going through a period of unreliability with the sensors and sure enough the one I was wearing failed on day 2; I'd suspected it was misbehaving and had already fitted, but not activated a replacement. The day before coming home the replacement failed, but luckily I had the extra reserve. I was driving and depended on my Libre to reduce the need for finger pricking while travelling. Abbott replaced both, but of course that takes a few days.

I'd previously stayed at my daughter's a couple of times, which proved to be excellent rehearsal opportunities and for appreciating simple (obvious in hindsight) things, like needing a small lidded plastic container for securing spent needles.

Thank you for the advice. Luckily enough,I have 2 of everything,finger pickers,readers etc. I’ll be taking plenty of snack bars in the suitcase aswell as jb’s and dextrose. The 2 meds bags I have came with little freezer pouches,keeping them frozen will maybe be an issue. I’ll have to check what the accommodations have on site.

’ll be taking plenty of snack bars in the suitcase aswell as jb’s and dextrose. The 2 meds bags I have came with little freezer pouches,keeping them frozen will maybe be an issue. I’ll have to check what the accommodations have on site.
Please ensure you have some snack bars in your hand luggage and do NOT freeze your insulin it will become inactive if it gets too cold.
It can survive out of the fridge at room temperature for about 30 days.

Please ensure you have some snack bars in your hand luggage and do NOT freeze your insulin it will become inactive if it gets too cold.
It can survive out of the fridge at room temperature for about 30 days.
Great advice thanks.

Judy will you be going somewhere warm? Are you aware that hot weather usually, almost always (but we're all different), lowers your BG.

In my early days (June/July 2020), before I knew about this and was finger pricking only, I frequently went hypo; sometimes quite deep and at that time I had no idea why. You might find it helpful to ask your DSN about corrections and bolus dosing in warm weather, if applicable. Since you are on fixed boluses and currently not carb counting it would unwise on my part to quantify the adjustments I applied. I haven't done a search here, but there is probably lots of guidance within this forum.

Regards.

The 2 meds bags I have came with little freezer pouches,keeping them frozen will maybe be an issue. I’ll have to check what the accommodations have on site.
May I suggest you invest in a Frio pouch. (https://friouk.com/) They work by condensation to keep your insulin cool. I have used them for years - they kept my insulin cool for over a week when there were no fridges available to me in Australia where it was super-hot. I travel frequently and rely on them. The only thing you need to do is re-soak the interior bit of the wallet when it starts to become dry. Just ensure there is plenty of air round it so it can condense... don't pack it tightly in a cabin bag. I usually carry mine in a carrier bag and no airline has ever said anything about it.

Judy will you be going somewhere warm? Are you aware that hot weather usually, almost always (but we're all different), lowers your BG.

In my early days (June/July 2020), before I knew about this and was finger pricking only, I frequently went hypo; sometimes quite deep and at that time I had no idea why. You might find it helpful to ask your DSN about corrections and bolus dosing in warm weather, if applicable. Since you are on fixed boluses and currently not carb counting it would unwise on my part to quantify the adjustments I applied. I haven't done a search here, but there is probably lots of guidance within this forum.

Regards.
Hi,yes it is somewhere hot. I was aware the heat affects BGs,I’ll do plenty of research . Thanks

May I suggest you invest in a Frio pouch. (https://friouk.com/) They work by condensation to keep your insulin cool. I have used them for years - they kept my insulin cool for over a week when there were no fridges available to me in Australia where it was super-hot. I travel frequently and rely on them. The only thing you need to do is re-soak the interior bit of the wallet when it starts to become dry. Just ensure there is plenty of air round it so it can condense... don't pack it tightly in a cabin bag. I usually carry mine in a carrier bag and no airline has ever said anything about it.
Thankyou, I’ll look into doing that.

Hi,yes it is somewhere hot. I was aware the heat affects BGs,I’ll do plenty of research . Thanks
Research is great but how BGs are affected by heat varies - some of us find we become more insulin sensitive and some of us find we become more insulin resistant.
Plus, when we are away, our typical day changes - some of us laze around the pool, some of us do more exercise, some of us drink more, most of us eat different diets, most of us hope to be more relaxed.

As a result, my advice would be to expect everything and do lots of testing. Take far more hypo treatments than usual (although you can get sweets in most countries if you run out) and take far more insulin than you would expect (that is harder to get away from home).

And, you are on holiday so chill. Don't get stressed if things don't go to plan ... maybe give yourself a wider acceptable range than usual. Running a bit higher than usual for a few days is not likely to have a long term impact.

Hi Helli…….chilling,sunbathing,walking and plenty of relaxing are all on the menu. I will be making sure that I plan for every eventuality.
Thanks
Judy

Enjoy your holiday Judy Its no big deal carry all your medication with you
if you need extra cabin weight inform the airline as a matter of courtesy, if using
a travel agent just inform them they will deal with it for you.

I`m off to Greece in June I`m going to relish every injection on the beach.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back