Travel insurance

Status
Not open for further replies.

louisew

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I’ve been searching for travel insurance which includes cover for my insulin dependent diabetes (no other health issues)
I got a quote from Staysure, my usual one. I use them because I don’t do package tours, and they cover end supplier failure ( tours, hotels etc) and scuba diving to 30 m, gadget included and no excess. So i got a quote for around £450 (multi trips). I did find some others cheaper through Medical Travel Compared (recommended by MSE) but no end supplier cover, scuba to only 18m and big excesses. So i just googled Travel insurance diabetes, and Staysure insurance diabetes page came up. So I entered exactly the same information, and I got a quote for £320 ???? Go figure

Virtually all travel insurers cover diabetes in all types and usually with little or no increase in premium

I’ve been searching for travel insurance which includes cover for my insulin dependent diabetes (no other health issues)
I got a quote from Staysure, my usual one. I use them because I don’t do package tours, and they cover end supplier failure ( tours, hotels etc) and scuba diving to 30 m, gadget included and no excess. So i got a quote for around £450 (multi trips). I did find some others cheaper through Medical Travel Compared (recommended by MSE) but no end supplier cover, scuba to only 18m and big excesses. So i just googled Travel insurance diabetes, and Staysure insurance diabetes page came up. So I entered exactly the same information, and I got a quote for £320 ???? Go figure
DUk on the website have a company they work with, my quote just came back for £120 for two weeks as a type 2 with my spine condition and other conditions listed so try the link that’s on the website for a quote, we also tried RAC as travel is by car and got a similar quote to stay sure so they are cheaper.

Thank you I’ll take a look
Let me know how you get on, they are the best price I have found and like you tried Martin Lewis and other companies via comparison sites, they even included my eating disorder in that price and heart issue so was very surprised after most sites refused to quote.

I’ve always used All Clear and have had no problems with them. You can get a free quote and you can also choose different levels of cover. I’ve used them for many trips abroad, both in Europe and further afield.

Virtually all travel insurers cover diabetes in all types and usually with little or no increase in premium

Many travel insurance schemes don’t cover pre-existing medical conditions, so while you can certainly buy their insurance, it might well mean you’re not covered if you, for example, had to go into hospital with impending DKA or something related to your diabetes.

Like @Inka I have read the small print for "standard insurance". Whilst they will cover people with diabetes, they will not cover problems due to pre existing conditions.
As there are so many complications from diabetes, I do not want to become ill whilst on holiday and have to fight with the insurance company because, for example, my fall was due to a hypo, the risk of a heart attack is greater with diabetes, I have a kidney problem which may be related to my diabetes, my insulin pump gets damaged, ...
Therefore, I too use All clear for my travel insurance. As I travel frequently, I get annual cover.

Insurancewith cover a host of pre-existing conditions. Virtually all cancer patients I know are covered by them - I just had my diabetes included a just a small extra premium.

Many travel insurance schemes don’t cover pre-existing medical conditions, so while you can certainly buy their insurance, it might well mean you’re not covered if you, for example, had to go into hospital with impending DKA or something related to your diabetes.
all the insurance I have ever bought cover medical conditions as long as they’re declared, which is why they’re more expensive

I’ve always used All Clear and have had no problems with them. You can get a free quote and you can also choose different levels of cover. I’ve used them for many trips abroad, both in Europe and further afield.

unfortunately they specifically don’t cover end supplier failure, which I need as I book all hotels/tours/travel etc independently

Let me know how you get on, they are the best price I have found and like you tried Martin Lewis and other companies via comparison sites, they even included my eating disorder in that price and heart issue so was very surprised after most sites refused to quote.
unfortunately they specifically don’t cover end supplier failure, which I need as I book all hotels/tours/travel etc independently and no gadget cover. (i have expensive cameras and gopros) Not actually cheaper than staysure

Insurancewith cover a host of pre-existing conditions. Virtually all cancer patients I know are covered by them - I just had my diabetes included a just a small extra premium.
Thank you i’ll have a look

unfortunately they specifically don’t cover end supplier failure, which I need as I book all hotels/tours/travel etc independently

I’m not sure what end supplier is but I book things separately too and it’s not been an issue. Obviously you should check the small print in any policy but I’d think many/most people book some things separately.

Here’s some info from All Clear. I phoned them once to check something and they were very helpful:

• If you are booking independently, many of our policies do include cover for End Supplier Failure as well as Scheduled Airline Failure Insurance (SAFI). Please note this may be available as an Optional Extra.

unfortunately they specifically don’t cover end supplier failure, which I need as I book all hotels/tours/travel etc independently and no gadget cover. (i have expensive cameras and gopros) Not actually cheaper than staysure
Sorry to hear, just shows how each of our circumstances are different and we have to be so careful, our trip is just a ferry crossing staying with family so guessing that why it’s cheaper for us, really hope you find something better for you. We are going with the GHIC as well because going to Ireland.

you might want to try a comparison site e.g.

done that, and found a possible one, need to check it’s got the right cover though, as end supplier is usually not included and often cancellation cover is not high enough
Sorry to hear, just shows how each of our circumstances are different and we have to be so careful, our trip is just a ferry crossing staying with family so guessing that why it’s cheaper for us, really hope you find something better for you. We are going with the GHIC as well because going to Ireland.
yes i’m buying a yearly worldwide, and because one of our holidays is 3 weeks, i need higher cancellation cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back