Trapped Chilean miners.

Status
Not open for further replies.

falcon123

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Apparently one of the miners is Type I and they have been getting insulin to him through the initial bore hole. What I found bizarre was a news bulletin that said he had to keep hydrated to avoid a diabetic episode, whatever that is? With the highish temperature and humidity down there everybody would need to keep hydrated. There may also be a Type II down there apparently. Has anybody seen anything more specific?

Interesting! I bet a minner in this country wouldnt be allowed to be a minner in this country who is insulin dependant?!

I hadnt heard about any of them being diabetic, but its interesting to know this as it did cross my mind what would have happened if one of them was...

Yeah the news report on BBC definately said that two of the miners are diabetic. Although they didn't mention types or say much more about it.

I saw a report today about how long it'll take to get each man up the bore-hole. Atleast an hour! 😱

And I think that the capsule in which they'll be standing is only 22" in diameter.

I couldn't do that! :D😉

Andy

Got news on now , 3 already freed 30 more to go .... saw a little girl being reunited with her daddy , so sweet 🙂 , its taken 24 minutes to get them up from the bottom , im claustrophobic so i take my hats off to them 🙂

I hope all the miners are out of the hole soon. I hate confines dpaces and being shut in so I have to admire them.

Knowing a bit about Chile, one of my favourite places that I've travelled and worked (leading a youth expedition), I'm not surprised that someone with type II diabetes is working as a miner - what would you do if you got diagnosed when living in a minining community? Either carry on working or allow your family to starve, as there's not much in the way of social security.

Great to see the preparations and the actual rescue.

Although many people wouldn't like being in enclosed spaces, miners, cavers etc are among the best able to cope with them.

Sounds like sorting out the mix of wives and mistresses could be one of the biggest challenges for life back on the surface...

The first few miners should be up by now eh?

Have you seen the lift they need to use, scary stuff stuck in that for 20 mins...😱

I saw a report today about how long it'll take to get each man up the bore-hole. Atleast an hour! 😱

And I think that the capsule in which they'll be standing is only 22" in diameter.

I couldn't do that! :D😉

Andy

I think you could if you didn't wanna stay there!!

Have't had a chance to catch up with news, but am glad the miners are being rescued.

I hope they are all out soon, anyone got any idea how long before all of the men are out?

How did the type 1 diabetic cope before they were found and supplies sent down? Surely he did not carry enough insulin to last weeks and weeks and weeks.

Quite emotional seeing them being rescued - what a story! Just hope all the media coverage doesn't ruin any lives.

been watching this, very emotional, cried when the diabetic miner came out.

How did the type 1 diabetic cope before they were found and supplies sent down? Surely he did not carry enough insulin to last weeks and weeks and weeks.

Quite emotional seeing them being rescued - what a story! Just hope all the media coverage doesn't ruin any lives.

I would of thought he was type 2, he would be in some mess if he was type 1 with not enough insulin, dont qoute me though.......I could be wrong.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back