To be forewarned....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jean

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
....and I'm sure it's true!

So if anyone can help me to be forearmed, i'll be most appreciative.

Here's the question: pasta is notorious for causing a spike hours after it is consumed.

What other foods come into this categorty of a delayed spike?

Hi Jean,

I was warned that pasta, rice and pizza are slow acting carbs.

Hope this helps,

Andy

I've heard that Baked potato can also be a 'late peaker', especially if served with melted cheese (drool...!)

I've heard that Baked potato can also be a 'late peaker', especially if served with melted cheese (drool...!)

Yes..it certainly can be Northerner...also if it has butter/marg on and baked beans....(so with you on this...drool....!)

Heidi
xx🙂

Yes..it certainly can be Northerner...also if it has butter/marg on and baked beans....(so with you on this...drool....!)

Heidi
xx🙂

An opportune point at which to re-post my poem:

The Blood Sugar Spike Correction Facility

Welcome you inmates – and show some humility –
To the Blood Sugar Spike Correction Facility!
You’ve all been brought here, I think you know why,
For sending the blood sugar of people too high!

Pasta! Step forward! I don’t mean next week!
You seem to like dodging the Insulin Peak!
And you can stop sniggering Baked Potato and Beans,
You’ll be next to find out what the ‘Correction’ word means…!

Now, get in that stomach and don’t misbehave,
We’re going to subject you to a pump dual wave!
And Beans – on your own you seem to be fine,
It’s with Baked Potato you step out of line!

And all of you others – the Pizza and Cheese,
You won’t get away doing just as you please!
We’ll hose you with Insulin till you realise the futility
Of ending up here at the Correction Facility!

:D

Of course, if you're not on insulin then you have to be especially wary of these foods as you can't 'correct' the spikes...

Hehehehehe...Brilliant as ever Northerner....:D

Heidi
xx🙂

Hey peeps,

enough with the drooling, all the energy spent cleaning the screen and then Reading about food is making me hungry again lol

PASTA makes me feel I need therapy.......Peak later??? I had pasta last night and Im sure I will know about it till the end of August at least.......:(

I only tried it once. VERY fast spike at 45 mins to over 12, followed by a VERY Fast drop to under 4 in under 2.5 hours.

Baked potatoes can have a GI of up to 158. No amount of fat is effective enough to stop that, as far as I can see.

I only tried it once. VERY fast spike at 45 mins to over 12, followed by a VERY Fast drop to under 4 in under 2.5 hours.

Baked potatoes can have a GI of up to 158. No amount of fat is effective enough to stop that, as far as I can see.

goodness! I must admit I haven't tried it for months, so not in my personal 'database' - contrary to my understanding!

Hi VHB...

Nathan loves his jacket spud, beans and cheese with butter...for instance last night he has this for tea...at 5pm hes was 9.0....at 9pm..11.0...

I think there are many factors to consider..each diabetic will react differently to certain foods.

There is a large fibre content in this meal..along with fats from both cheese and butter, along with the potato...all combined this should make it a slow acting carb...

Heidi
xx🙂

Agreed. You certain it was the potato?

Hi VHB....

Absolutely the potato, beans,combo...Nathan eats this most days when at school...it was one of the main things we had to get right when he was first diagnosed, so we worked very hard at finding the right balance of food, exercise etc to insulin dose...Nathan also did or very rarely has pudding after this meal as it is very filling and well balanced...We were advised by both the DSN and dietcian..that the above meal should not present any problems for Nathan

Heidi
xx🙂

I tried brown rice pasta last night (from the gluten free section at waitrose) and it sent my levels through the proverbial roof over night...not trying that again. Does anyone know if Spelt pasta makes a difference, or any other types?
x

Hi VHB...

Nathan loves his jacket spud, beans and cheese with butter...for instance last night he has this for tea...at 5pm hes was 9.0....at 9pm..11.0...

I think there are many factors to consider..each diabetic will react differently to certain foods.

There is a large fibre content in this meal..along with fats from both cheese and butter, along with the potato...all combined this should make it a slow acting carb...

Heidi
xx🙂

I dont eat Carbs anymore but when I did the jacket potatoe , cheese beans combo would be a slow hit for me not a fast one , as you say we are all different but it would hit me slow for sure.

I tried brown rice pasta last night (from the gluten free section at waitrose) and it sent my levels through the proverbial roof over night...not trying that again. Does anyone know if Spelt pasta makes a difference, or any other types?
x

have you tried wholemeal and whole grain varieties? I was told brown rice is unbleached so works just the same as white rice.

I have had jkt potato once since Feb and by sounds of it i best keep it that way , never knew it was such a bad choice to eat x

Love the poem, thats one of my favourite ones.

I find jacket potato and mash potato to be pretty fast acting for me. It depends on different factors though, just in the microwave it is slower than if it's in the oven. I believe this is because the longer it's cooked the more broken down it gets so digested quicker.

Sasha - I was wondering about exercise, possibly drinks etc raising the BG at the 4 hour mark as opposed to the meal. But if its slow for him fair enough.

The spud I had was loaded with butter and cheese and it still hit hard & fast.

But of course there are a lot of variables, including the variety of potato which can make a difference. I also wonder about the beans which I didn't have on that occasion.

I know beans hit fast as well, from experience but that will be because of the sauce mostly having a lot of fast carbs in it. When it comes to processing the beans themselves, I suppose that could have a delayed action. I wonder if that might explain the difference.

So there could potentially be a double spike from that mix of foods, with a peak at an hour and a late peak. This would particularly be the case if in large amounts.

And of course the individual's metabolism etc

And there may be a significant difference between T1 and T2 with the added complication of the bolus. I do wonder sometimes if any delay in the BG release can cause a liver dump from a reaction to a low, while the bolus is at its peak, or tailing off. That would give the potential for a further rise when the bolus is running out and if that coincided with a late BG release from some foods then it could cause problems

Sigh....so many variables.

We are all different. I'm OK with oven chips, but only because they are (for me anyway) so boring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back