TIR versus reading at time of scan

Status
Not open for further replies.

HalfpipMarathon

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I applied a Libre 2 sensor last night and my first scan just before 11.30pm was 7.3. Wake at 5.41am it's 9.9.

I know this is quite possibly DP and is what my sugar is at that moment in time but my TIR is currently 100%.

I suppose what I am asking is should I concentrate on Time In Range as opposed to the reading at time of scan. Not saying the latter is unimportant as it will contribute to the overall TIR.

I can see why most health professionals don't encourage testing by type 2s especially those not on insulin as if one saw the reading above on might get stressed which might be counter productive as we know stress can affect blood sugar levels, although its possible costs of providing blood glucose meters, test strips and lancets might be a factor too.

I'm in a better place regarding using the Libre 2. Not saying that I was happy with the reading when I woke up but I didn’t panic and get stressed so my question is more out of interest rather than anything else.

Did you fingerprick to check the 9.9? I found my last few Libres were reading high a lot. To answer your question, it’s pretty much the same thing, isn’t it? I’d look at both.

@HalfpipMarathon have you looked at the graphs to understand when your levels started rising. Was it a gentle rise throughout the night or a spike at a specific time.
Personally, I find the graphs far more informative than the individual numbers. If I was only looking at the numbers at the time of scan, I may as well be finger pricking at that time.

Do you consider 9.9 to be above your ideal range @HalfpipMarathon? Are you happy with occasional forays into double figures as long as they aren't too many and aren't too often (this seems quite healthy attitude to me).

And importantly, is the 'range' set in your Libre the range that you are happy with?

On Libre if I remember right you can set a 'yellow' area around your ideal range so you can have:

A level of 'low that you don't want to be' marked red,
A level of 'low that's a bit on the edge' marked yellow,
Your ideal range marked green,
A level of 'high that's a bit above your ideal' marked yellow, and
A level of 'high that you don't want to get above' marked red

How you set those levels is entirely up to you - if lots of high percentages is encouraging set your green range to be quite wide, and gradually tighten it over time.

If you would like information of specific levels for safety / long term health benefits, set those levels.

If you would like a good amount of green, but with a little nudge to tighten things every now and again - you could use those yellow 'borders'.

Personally for me it's about getting the information to help you and not be a burden. To inform, but not condemn.

If I set my range as 2-25 I'd get 100% TIR all the time, but it wouldn't really help. If I set my range as 5.5-7.5 I'd barely have any 'green' and get demotivated. 🙂

Find sometimes on waking libre can reader higher then once up & around it settles back down again, not always but have noticed it can happen as it did this morning funny enough.

Own preference is time in range, great tool for managing diabetes unavailable years previously.

Did you fingerprick to check the 9.9? I found my last few Libres were reading high a lot. To answer your question, it’s pretty much the same thing, isn’t it? I’d look at both.
Tbh no I didn't finger prick. As it was in the range set by Libre as default (3.9-10.0) I wasn't too worried.

Do you consider 9.9 to be above your ideal range @HalfpipMarathon? Are you happy with occasional forays into double figures as long as they aren't too many and aren't too often (this seems quite healthy attitude to me).

And importantly, is the 'range' set in your Libre the range that you are happy with?

On Libre if I remember right you can set a 'yellow' area around your ideal range so you can have:

How you set those levels is entirely up to you - if lots of high percentages is encouraging set your green range to be quite wide, and gradually tighten it over time.

If you would like information of specific levels for safety / long term health benefits, set those levels.

If you would like a good amount of green, but with a little nudge to tighten things every now and again - you could use those yellow 'borders'.

Personally for me it's about getting the information to help you and not be a burden. To inform, but not condemn.

If I set my range as 2-25 I'd get 100% TIR all the time, but it wouldn't really help. If I set my range as 5.5-7.5 I'd barely have any 'green' and get demotivated. 🙂
I don't mind the occasional straying. I feel the range is OK although I would be tempted to increase the top end of the range say to 12 but part of me feels like that would be cheating and wouldn't help me. I have never dropped below 80% TIR.

Find sometimes on waking libre can reader higher then once up & around it settles back down again, not always but have noticed it can happen as it did this morning funny enough.

Own preference is time in range, great tool for managing diabetes unavailable years previously.
I like the Time In Range feature too. Not sure if the range set on Libre suits me personally am tempted to set it if it's possible for the top end to be 12.

I was 6.2 2hrs after breakfast then 6.6. So it does drop.

I feel the range is OK although I would be tempted to increase the top end of the range say to 12 but part of me feels like that would be cheating and wouldn't help me.
The software won't let you do that anyway: 3.9 is the lowest the low end will go and 10.0 is the highest the high end will go. (Alarms are different and can be set differently.)

I like the Time In Range feature too. Not sure if the range set on Libre suits me personally am tempted to set it if it's possible for the top end to be 12.

I was 6.2 2hrs after breakfast then 6.6. So it does drop.

Beauty of device is you can set to levels of your own choosing.

Own is 4.8 - 9, looking at TIR presently sitting on 78%.

I think, that for yourself as a dietary controlled Type 2, it is perhaps important not to lose sight of the target guidelines of 4-7 before meals and 8.5 two hours after meals. The TIR of sensors is aimed at keeping insulin dependent people within safe guidelines most of the time, but generally we need to keep our HbA1c a bit higher than none insulin dependent diabetics because of the risk of going too low..... So for instance my previous HbA1c 10 months ago was 45 but I was having far too many hypos so my consultant wanted me to increase it to low 50s and I got my latest result today of 50, so he will be happy with that. If I was a dietary controlled Type 2 I would be aiming for an HbA1c of under 42. My TIR (standard 3.9-10) on LIbre is never lower than 85% but currently 95% over the last 30 days, so whilst my TIR is excellent, my HbA1c is higher than you would perhaps ideally want as a dietary controlled Type 2, so I think it may be important to consider those before meal and after meal BG results as a better guide to what will lead you to a good HbA1c.

So that morning reading of 9.9 is within the 3.9 - 10 range and therefore you might be happy with it, it is well beyond the
4-7 pre meal range that you should be aiming for and leaves no room to stay in range after you eat breakfast or experience any foot on the floor syndrome which will likely take it above range. Likely your graph will show you that your levels went well above 10 after your breakfast before coming back down into range?

I will admit that I wasn't sure if I was ever going to use Libre 2 again. I know my blood sugar levels can fluctuate for many different reasons and that sometimes, depending on what one has eaten the night before, morning readings can be high or low or just right.

Considering the above I'm going to take it one day at a time. I'm happy if I stay in range and don't drop below 70% minimum.

Just not sure how to deal with levels over 10 even though I know it's what it is at the time and not permanent. I like the TIR feature but is it enough if individual readings at time of scans are going to make me miserable? Not saying I'm going to remove the sensor but I may not buy another.

I like the TIR feature but is it enough if individual readings at time of scans are going to make me miserable? Not saying I'm going to remove the sensor but I may not buy another.
Honestly the amount you’ve debated this, you’ve started endless threads about CGMs, always seem to find that they stress you out, they are expensive, you have said you don’t make any changes based on the results, so really what is the point. Just close your mental cgm debate and stop wasting money on them.

Checking your profile for threads started by you, (so not just individual posts) it gave 3 pages of threads started by you, and almost every single one was on the subject of CGMs and debating whether to use them. I didn’t count but it was easily more than 50 new threads. Clearly it’s not right for you, that’s fine, no one here is telling you to spend money on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back