Thyroid problems causing diabetes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand you’ve been diabetic for several years - about 9 years?

If you clarify the units and it is pmol then this is the table to help interpret it which says very unlikely type 1 with cpeptide that high after this many years. If the units were mmol you’d need to convert them though. You also need to check what your bg was at the time of the test for whether it was stimulated or unstimulated but it won’t impact the interpretation if you can get a cpeptide value in pmol.

Scroll down to general interpretation section

Yeah around 9 years , I’m going to find out all that information when my nurse calls me in the next few days . Thanks for your advice and opinion I appreciate it a lot ☺️

Yeah around 9 years , I’m going to find out all that information when my nurse calls me in the next few days . Thanks for your advice and opinion I appreciate it a lot ☺️
What is also relevant is mmol/? as the result is normally pmol/litre
1mmol = 1000000000 pmol
I suspect your result is actually pmol

What is also relevant is mmol/? as the result is normally pmol/litre
1mmol = 1000000000 pmol
I suspect your result is actually pmol
Yeah I would say mine is pmol to be honest, I just remember my nurse saying I produce a lot of insulin which is why they don’t understand why it’s not working , they know I have insulin resistance but they just say I’m a rare case and I technically could have invented a brand new type of diabetes all together

Yeah I’ve seen on here people produce more insulin then me I can’t remember the girls name but her c pep tests were 1500 and she was diagnosed as type 1 but yeah it was definitely 1000mmol cos the nurse said I produce plenty they just aren’t sure why it doesn’t work so good . I had the test done when I was 15 (now 26 ) and the levels have more or less stayed the same , would it suggest that even tho I produce insulin that it basically doesn’t work anymore especially since the level stayed the same or would the level have got significantly lower if the at makes any sense

It doesn’t sound like Type 1 to me either. The secondary diabetes label makes sense though. Perhaps it’s secondary diabetes with marked insulin resistance or something like that?

Are you sure the 1500 figure you saw wasn’t antibodies? That would make sense if the person saying it was Type 1. Type 1s have no or very minimal insulin production.

Yeah I would say mine is pmol to be honest, I just remember my nurse saying I produce a lot of insulin which is why they don’t understand why it’s not working , they know I have insulin resistance but they just say I’m a rare case and I technically could have invented a brand new type of diabetes all together

If you have insulin resistance then that would be why the insulin isn’t working - your cells are resistant to it, so it can’t do it’s job even though you have plenty of it.

It doesn’t sound like Type 1 to me either. The secondary diabetes label makes sense though. Perhaps it’s secondary diabetes with marked insulin resistance or something like that?

Are you sure the 1500 figure you saw wasn’t antibodies? That would make sense if the person saying it was Type 1. Type 1s have no or very minimal insulin production.
Yeah it was definitely their c pep insulin level that they produce but again I could have missed up the units .

If you have insulin resistance then that would be why the insulin isn’t working - your cells are resistant to it, so it can’t do its job even though you have plenty of it.
Yeah I definitely have insulin resistance but I don’t understand why they say I’m a unique case and they’ve never had a case like mine . I’m in Ireland and my endo is supposed to be the best in Ireland so it’s really just so frustrating.

Yeah I definitely have insulin resistance but I don’t understand why they say I’m a unique case and they’ve never had a case like mine . I’m in Ireland and my endo is supposed to be the best in Ireland so it’s really just so frustrating.
I think there are 3000-4000 people born without a thyroid gland per year and I suppose quite a few that will have had them removed for various reasons but in combination with other conditions it may be quite rare.

I think there are 3000-4000 people born without a thyroid gland per year and I suppose quite a few that will have had them removed for various reasons but in combination with other conditions it may be quite rare.
Yeah I guess I’ll just have to hope they get to the bottom of my diagnosis . My main drive apart from wanting to know what type I have is the fact I want an insulin pump as I feel it would improve my levels and help in the long term but not being a type one is why I can’t get One , I see myself needing insulin for the rest of my life as I’ve been on it for 2 years now even when I was on Ozempic and went to 47 kg and my hba1c was 44 I still needed insulin . Thanks for your reply ☺️☺️

Yeah I definitely have insulin resistance but I don’t understand why they say I’m a unique case and they’ve never had a case like mine . I’m in Ireland and my endo is supposed to be the best in Ireland so it’s really just so frustrating
Perhaps it’s the combination of factors that you have that makes you ‘unusual’ - ie born without a thyroid along with your medical history? I can see that it must be frustrating for you.

Perhaps it’s the combination of factors that you have that makes you ‘unusual’ - ie born without a thyroid along with your medical history? I can see that it must be frustrating for you.
Yeah my endo just said that my diabetes is a rare case and indeed I am aswell . They definitely said to me that I’m definitely not type 2 and they don’t think I’m type 1 but they can’t rule that out cos new antibodies become available all the time . So they refer to mine being secondary diabetes, I appreciate that there are type 1s here that need a pump more then I do and I don’t want to skip the queue or anything but I would love to just be added to the list for one so yeah it’s very frustrating for me especially after so long

After I linked you to the secondary diabetes thing above, I did a bit more googling. If you put in some of your medical details along with the word “diabetes” you’ll find websites mentioning diabetes after certain medical problems. Hopefully that will help a little to show you that you’re not alone.

This is a better general link re secondary diabetes as it actually gives some causes and compares it to Type 2:

Most Type 1s don’t have a pump. I do. I wouldn’t say it was easier than injections. It’s a fair bit of work.

After I linked you to the secondary diabetes thing above, I did a bit more googling. If you put in some of your medical details along with the word “diabetes” you’ll find websites mentioning diabetes after certain medical problems. Hopefully that will help a little to show you that you’re not alone.

This is a better general link re secondary diabetes as it actually gives some causes and compares it to Type 2:

Most Type 1s don’t have a pump. I do. I wouldn’t say it was easier than injections. It’s a fair bit of work.
Thank you I will certainly look into that , I have heard a lot of people say that about pumps and I understand it doesn’t work for everyone ☺️

Thank you so much for finding that inka that had put it into perspective for me and it’s actually made more sense to me I really appreciate it ☺️☺️

Thank you I will certainly look into that , I have heard a lot of people say that about pumps and I understand it doesn’t work for everyone ☺️

It works (I’ve had a pump for more than 20 years), but injections are easier in many ways. Pumps require a lot of user input and changing of basal rates, ratios, etc, quite frequently, as well as the obvious cannula changes and practical things. They require more input than injections and more complicated decision-making too, as the pump is only as good as the user.

It works (I’ve had a pump for more than 20 years), but injections are easier in many ways. Pumps require a lot of user input and changing of basal rates, ratios, etc, quite frequently, as well as the obvious cannula changes and practical things. They require more input than injections and more complicated decision-making too, as the pump is only as good as the user.
Yeah that makes sense it would probably take a while to master it also I just really hate injecting and I find it embarrassing to do so in public spaces and I tend to forget my insulin pens a lot too but having said that I know you would need to carry insulin pens around with you also even if you have a pump incase they fail so yeah I think I need to get it out of my head as I don’t see me meeting any criteria to be able to get one

Don’t be embarrassed to inject in public @melissaginty13 No-one cares. They’re all too busy with their own stuff 🙂 The only comment I ever had was from a small child who asked what I was doing - so I explained in simple terms. I took that as an educational opportunity. There’s nothing shameful about having a medical condition🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back