Through clothes injections.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Estellaa

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Does anybody do their injection through their clothes?
cause my step-mum who's sister is diabetic says that her sister always does.

I dont think it is recommended due to things like the insulin not going in properly and risk of infection and hurting more etc....

The only time i have done it is when i was in the cinema and was wearing thinnish tights and well i didnt fancy stripping in the cinema to inject and i didnt want to leave the film so i did it through my tights and was fine......but thats not to say i recommend it 🙂

I have done it through tights before but I wouldn't go through anything else. At one meetup I went to (not one from this forum), I saw someone inject straight through their tshirt into their stomach so obviously some people are happy to do so.

It's just, i'm going to a family party this weekend and i will be wearing a maxi dress, no tights.
and i said i don't mind wearing a maxi dress just involves me going to the toilets to do my injection.
and she was like just do it through your dress, cause she had the diabetes which you have when your pregnant so she said thats what she use to do.
i was like, no thanks.

I used to do it all the time. My classic manouver was injecting through my tights into my legs when I was wearing a skirt. I think I used to sometimes do them through my work uniform.

However, I was young and reckless then/older and wiser now 😉 I really wasnt 'doing diabetes' properly then and I dont think if I was still injecting I would be doing that practise now.

I do inject through clothes on occasions, when it's easier. However, the main problem I have is that I always bleed at the most inconvenient times... and blood spreads loads when it soaks into clothes. I once had to spend an evening at a party looking like I'd been stabbed through my jeans!

Never done it.

Think it's more painful that way as you make the needle a bit more blunt.

I don't inject so this is just what others tell me.

They avoid where ever they can injecting through clothes as it hurts more and if they have been somewhere mucky can run the risk of infection. Their other concern was not getting the right dose.

I used to do when I wanted to inject in my leg at work but not for very long as I found it hurt more and opted to use my stomach for work instead.

As others have said there are a few risks of infection, not getting the right dose etc... I know a guy who always used to do it though so I guess its something some do and others don't! Ah, a statement of the blooming obvious there, sorry! 🙄

I used to inject through tights when wearing a skirt/dress - I'd do it sat at my desk at work lol nobody ever realised what I was up to, and a damn sight more hygenic than having to go to the toilets to do it! Don't think it's recommended though - and normally I'd have a top/skirt or trousers rather than a dress so would just lift the top slightly and inject into my stomach. Not an option for a maxi dress though.

Can you inject into your arms? I used to manage it one handed, but am severely out of practice now! Only ever with syringes not pens though, the syringes are a lot lighter I think.

with skirts and tights i would think its fine as there thin, things like jeans or anything thick like that is madness i think, your losing alot of mm there.....

I have never done it as the stomach or arms have alway been accesible when wipping the trousers down is inaappropriate...

Never ever done this and would advise others not to either. Clothes harbour bacteria and dirt, so a sterile needle passing through this first is then contaminated and should not enter the skin. As the modern needle are so fine now, they are easily blunted and may cause sores and lumps, which in time can become hindrance and reduce the efficiency of the insulin. Toby.

Never ever done this and would advise others not to either. Clothes harbour bacteria and dirt, so a sterile needle passing through this first is then contaminated and should not enter the skin. As the modern needle are so fine now, they are easily blunted and may cause sores and lumps, which in time can become hindrance and reduce the efficiency of the insulin. Toby.

Straight to the point.........love it..............🙂

I often inject through clothing and have always done so. Never had an infection and not noticed it hurting more.

The thickest I've managed has been jeans but usually thin shirts, etc with sleeves that won't easily roll up.

Each to their own ! 🙂

Rob

I've occasionally injected through thin clothing, if easier than removing to expose skin. I also find that zip-off trousers allow the perfect opportunity to open the zip slightly to inject into thigh.

I always inject my tummy through my skirt/trousers when I'm in the office at work or at a restaurant (preferable to going to the toilet) but the rest of the time it's straight into the skin. Fortunately not had any problems with site infections in 40 years.🙄

There was a study back in 1997 which found no infections, no difference in HbA1c, no difference in white cell counts the biggest problem was the odd blood stain or bruise. They used a crossover trial over 20 weeks and during the time patients injected through clothing they injected through a single layer of fabric from thin nylon to denim.
Conclusion:
'It is safe and convenient to inject insulin through clothing.'
http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/20/3/244.long

I wonder though if modern needles being so much shorter and thinner might be more likely to distort/blunt if you tried to inject through thicker clothing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back