this is pure mental!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Dan, don't know whether its due to type of aerobic exercise, but i have found if I don't eat and take insulin before exercising, my levels shoot up. Heat seems to be making them rise too, altho' I think its' been a little cooler here than some of you have had. I'd hate to be in a city right now...

Hope your training goes well today.

I've experienced this once in the past. Checked levels before doing Martial Arts and they were fine. Did a very hard class that evening and got home and I was up around 19 when I got home.

No idea what caused it, and it only happened the once. Can't remember if it was hot or not, it was a few months ago, so not too likely.

As someone said earlier, I have also been told that you need insulin in your system when you exercise in order for your body to convert food to energy properly.

I tend to drop my basal by 2 units, and take 50% less fast acting to cover my evening meal (which I eat after my martial arts). Also, I find I need to take less fast acting in the heat, or sometimes I split it into two doses, and take the 2nd half two hours later, as my body absorbs the insulin more quickly on hot days.

NiVZ

Er yes -- my son on 50% less basal today! He has risen two or three times with intensive bursts of exercise -- but, like others here, not predictably. A pain for him. Mostly he lowers over several hours....

I Dont Get It

Hi, Just wanted to say that Diabetes is driving me mad - I have been going along great, then the last few days I have gone haywire ... I keep having bloods of 16 or 19 or 24....it is taking huge amounts of insulin to bring down, and then after another few alright readings up it goes again, ime not doing anything different! so is it the heat then cos its driving me mad thought i was doing something else cos everyone else seems to suffer lows in the heat I dont think i will ever get it right 😱:(

Hi Suellen,
Your not doing anything wrong - it could be the heat - its playing havoc with everyone at the moment!

Have you checked your insulin is within date? Does it look cloudy?What insulin are you one?Have you checked for ketones?Sorry for all the questions, but it may help others to help you!🙂Bev

Hi, Just wanted to say that Diabetes is driving me mad - I have been going along great, then the last few days I have gone haywire ... I keep having bloods of 16 or 19 or 24....it is taking huge amounts of insulin to bring down, and then after another few alright readings up it goes again, ime not doing anything different! so is it the heat then cos its driving me mad thought i was doing something else cos everyone else seems to suffer lows in the heat I dont think i will ever get it right 😱:(

Hi Suellen , I have the same problem , Im sky high in the heat and this week in particular I have had 3 HI's on the meter !! so over 30 !! ive done nothing different , its just the heat !! dont let it get you down 🙂🙂

Mine have gone up and down with the het. Stress makes mine go up quite a bit and when coming down with an illness. Hope they've stabilised for you now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back