this is pure mental!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanW81

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Here's the situation...

finished work got back and i was 6.1...all good. I was about to go to the gym for an hours circuit training, so I had 1 digestive and when I left I was 6.7...still all good.

went to circuit training which was a VERY hard workout, could squeeze the sweat out of my top at the end! Got back and I was 19!!!

I know sometimes strangely exercise can put it up a little bit, but after such a hard workout it just does not make any sense it went up to 19!

does anyone have any possible explanations???

Hi Dan,

When was the last time you had insulin before exercising? If you didn't have enough circulating insulin, then I believe this might have pushed your levels high, especially when coupled with a strenuous workout.

Hi,
The hot weather is playing havoc with everyones levels at the moment - but most people are going hypo rather than hyper! Perhaps your just different and its the way your body reacts to heat? Bev

hmmm maybe it does make me go higher, last week i was taking more insulin than usual to keep my levels normal. but also last week i was doing the same exercise and the levels came out as expected afterwards.

well im going to be doing the same most days this week, so we'll see what happens then.

does anyone else have any suggestions or experienced similar?

hmmm maybe it does make me go higher, last week i was taking more insulin than usual to keep my levels normal. but also last week i was doing the same exercise and the levels came out as expected afterwards.

well im going to be doing the same most days this week, so we'll see what happens then.

does anyone else have any suggestions or experienced similar?

Hi Dan , the hot weather always makes my levels rise , never hypo !!??? we must both just be rare !! everyone else seems to hypo in the heat. :confused::confused:

i hyper like mad and more so in this heat had 1 this morn , it is dreadful trying to control levels when the heat is thst bad

Hi Dan , the hot weather always makes my levels rise , never hypo !!??? we must both just be rare !! everyone else seems to hypo in the heat. :confused::confused:

Oh I am in good company then! Im constantly on the up, I seem to be taking a lot of insulin the last few days.....ho-hum.

Oh I am in good company then! Im constantly on the up, I seem to be taking a lot of insulin the last few days.....ho-hum.

yeah me too , im increasing to try and stay lower grrr i hate the hot weather

yeah me too , im increasing to try and stay lower grrr i hate the hot weather

well its good to hear im not the only one who seems to be higher & having to up the amounts. still doesnt quite explain the massive increase after a bit of exercise though, will see what happens tomorrow.....

well its good to hear im not the only one who seems to be higher & having to up the amounts. still doesnt quite explain the massive increase after a bit of exercise though, will see what happens tomorrow.....

yes very interesting , let us know how it goes , i have noticed i always rise after my usual 2 hour aerobics session ,i never drop low later either so never have delayed hypos . how long have you been diabetic ? maybe your pancreas has now stopped producing any insulin so you are now relying totally on injections ?

ive been diabetic for 10 yrs by the way insulinaddict, so i guess it gave up working a while ago.

anyway....tonight got back from work & it was 4.4, had a couple of biscuits & i went to the gym (bike & weights) + a bit of badminton, for around 1 ish hour, not as tough as last night, but still sweated buckets! Got back and it was 4.7....all good!

so what happened last night i dont know! im doing the same as last night again tomorrow, so will again see what happens

ive been diabetic for 10 yrs by the way insulinaddict, so i guess it gave up working a while ago.

anyway....tonight got back from work & it was 4.4, had a couple of biscuits & i went to the gym (bike & weights) + a bit of badminton, for around 1 ish hour, not as tough as last night, but still sweated buckets! Got back and it was 4.7....all good!

so what happened last night i dont know! im doing the same as last night again tomorrow, so will again see what happens

Hi when you find out how you pulled off tonight let me know !!! i did my 2 hours aerobics earlier , i was 6.5 when i started and 19 when i finnished!! maybe i'll go back to the bike for a while and see if that makes any difference lol , i'll give the weights a miss though 😱 hey let me know how tomorrow goes. oh right 10years , defo not the honeymoon ending then .

Hi when you find out how you pulled off tonight let me know !!! i did my 2 hours aerobics earlier , i was 6.5 when i started and 19 when i finnished!! maybe i'll go back to the bike for a while and see if that makes any difference lol , i'll give the weights a miss though 😱 hey let me know how tomorrow goes. oh right 10years , defo not the honeymoon ending then .

so you had today, what i had yesterday? weird. im afraid i have no idea what i did different today !

so you had today, what i had yesterday? weird. im afraid i have no idea what i did different today !

did you eat different foods , more or less insulin? it could be anything i suppose . ill let you know how i get on when i do my exersise tomorrow !! see if i zoom or drop lol 😱😱😱😱

as northerner has said if you do intensive exercise it can raise bg levels significantly as your body throws out glucose to cope but if there is not enough circulating insulin you will rise, but beware can be followed by a sudden drop too. Apparently aerobic(moderate) excercise drops levels, its the anaerobic(high intensity) which can raise, sounds very much like this is what you are doing.

If you are going to be maintaining this it coud be worth monitoring during eexcercise to see what happens and maybe give yorself a couple of units to get through ok.

re levels i have now had 5 hypos this week because of heat, have lowered all my ratios and lantus :(

update from today...

did same as monday, 1hr of hard circuit training in a boling sports hall! left house at 8.7, so decided to take into account what tracey said & took 2 units before i went. Came back & it was 7, which is good. so maybe the couple of units helped.

regarding my high levels in the heat, im maybe thinking it was a random thing now? as this week my levels have returned to their normal levels (if not lower). maybe the heat jsut makes it fluctuate up & down?

when u think youve got it sorted eh! u just cant win!

update from today...

did same as monday, 1hr of hard circuit training in a boling sports hall! left house at 8.7, so decided to take into account what tracey said & took 2 units before i went. Came back & it was 7, which is good. so maybe the couple of units helped.

regarding my high levels in the heat, im maybe thinking it was a random thing now? as this week my levels have returned to their normal levels (if not lower). maybe the heat jsut makes it fluctuate up & down?

yeah tell me about it !! ive had 2 hypos today and now im hypering off the meter !!! im "hi" 😱 bloody diabetes . glad youve had a better day tho Dan

yes dan the heat has a major part to play in our levels i was becoming really steady around 7 to 10 which for me was great as i started off over 14 all the time back in feb but this week and some of last week i have had really up and down levels Drink more water!!!!! This helps most of all. You can flavour it with a little juice if you wish. I like lemon, lime, cranberry and pomegranite to make the water a tiny bit tart. thats the best tip i cant really say about keeping levels and not dehydrating in all this heat

update from today...

seems like the extra insulin helped, when you think 1 unit will generally drop you 3-4 mmol, you must have needed the exta insulin because of the anaerobic excercise. I dont personally take insulin before excercise, i dont work that hard, so my levels drop rapidly, I take on extra carbs! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back