things that go hyper in the night

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Steff...

When Nathan was diagnosed we were told to give him supper..so he has a couple of slices of toast and an apple...at about 9pm-9.30 ish....His main carb intake is at tea..which is between 4.30-5pm....After 6pm large amounts of carbs take longer to digest as the stomach slows down.

On the low GI line...how about an apple or peanuts...

My personal feeling is have some supper..even if its only a nibble of something..Its a long time for any diabetic regardless of type to go from tea to breakfast, without a snack..

Heidi
xx🙂

well i might be doing something wrong there then we dont eat generally till 6,15 . on the suggestions front an apple sounds good to me i hate peanuts lol xx

I think it was old advice to reccommend a bed time snack and it continues to be advised. it was because the old basal insulin used to have a peak which needed a snack to prevent hypos in the night. With the flat basal insulins you shouldn't need to snack, but of course some people choose to and myself I like a bedtime snack.

well i have had a apple about 10.30 so shall see how tonight goes , night xx

Well i would like to say a uneventful nights BUT afraid not about 4 o clock i woke up usual circumstances , if i had my tea abit earlier then 6.15 would that be of any help ??, as I know Heidi you did mention something about 6 o clock and things not breaking down that might be why i dunno :confused:

I KNOW it sounds stupid but....... everyone always talks about going Hyper ... Ive been a Diabetic for years , but what do you feel like when you are Hyper ?? I used to run in the high 20's all the time and never felt any different :confused: even now when I get a high one (even off the meters) I dont feel any different at all . Is it because I got so used to highs they seem normal for my body so I get no effects ?

I KNOW it sounds stupid but....... everyone always talks about going Hyper ... Ive been a Diabetic for years , but what do you feel like when you are Hyper ?? I used to run in the high 20's all the time and never felt any different :confused: even now when I get a high one (even off the meters) I dont feel any different at all . Is it because I got so used to highs they seem normal for my body so I get no effects ?

Hi Hun...

In Nathan's case...when he goes high..hyper....He becomes irritable, headache, agitated etc..very similar to hypo..apart from the shakes...Now when Nathan is high..He develops an extreme hunger as well...When we have questioned this with the consultant...he says it is not possible to feel like this when high..However my best friend who has been type 1 for 37 years..says you can and do..and experiences similar to Nathans..especially the hunger.

Heidi
xx🙂

im the same as nathan i get headache very angry, cant speak proper very hot and legs go wobbley , but when they happen in bed it is the slurred speech and the legs wobble , i know when its happening cause i just become so sweaty

im the same as nathan i get headache very angry, cant speak proper very hot and legs go wobbley , but when they happen in bed it is the slurred speech and the legs wobble , i know when its happening cause i just become so sweaty

Hi Steff..

Do you feel they are worse when you have them in bed..after being roused from a deep sleep, rather than during the day.

Heidi
xx🙂

...He develops an extreme hunger as well...When we have questioned this with the consultant...he says it is not possible to feel like this when high..However my best friend who has been type 1 for 37 years..says you can and do..and experiences similar to Nathans..especially the hunger.

Heidi
xx🙂

The consultant is wrong I believe. As I understand it, when the blood sugar is high it's because there's not enough insulin circulating (in Type 1) to get the glucose into the body's cells - the cells are effectively being starved. In a non-diabetic, there is never a problem with there not being enough insulin, so the body's natural reaction is to generate hunger sensations so you will eat more - the body doesn't 'know' it has diabetes, it just thinks there's not enough glucose - which of course there is! In Type 2 the problem is more to do with insulin resistance - there might be plenty of insulin being put out by the Type 2 pancreas, but it can't be used efficiently - again, the cells believe they are being starved so you get hungry!

The consultant is wrong I believe. As I understand it, when the blood sugar is high it's because there's not enough insulin circulating (in Type 1) to get the glucose into the body's cells - the cells are effectively being starved. In a non-diabetic, there is never a problem with there not being enough insulin, so the body's natural reaction is to generate hunger sensations so you will eat more - the body doesn't 'know' it has diabetes, it just thinks there's not enough glucose - which of course there is! In Type 2 the problem is more to do with insulin resistance - there might be plenty of insulin being put out by the Type 2 pancreas, but it can't be used efficiently - again, the cells believe they are being starved so you get hungry!

Hi Northerner...

Your right...and I told the consulant exactly waht you have said...He still wont have it...and said it was Nathan just wanting to eat..and to ignore the hunger....😱...This is another reason I am trying to change Nathan's consultant...Having said that when Nathan does feel like this because of hyper..I usually has something to eat...and his levels come down by the next reading

Heidi
xx🙂

Hi Steff..

Do you feel they are worse when you have them in bed..after being roused from a deep sleep, rather than during the day.

Heidi
xx🙂

not really to be honest, i am hot abit more cause im under duvet x

not really to be honest, i am hot abit more cause im under duvet x

MMMMMMM...I was just wondering then if because you were overly hot if that would be enough to make you produce a little more insulin...yet not enough glucose/energy food in your system to make best of the insulin you have...similar effect as in Nathans case like starvation insulin cells...so in theory you would have a high BG but need something to eat???

Heidi
xx🙂

i understand what u mean Heidi i did eat earlier 2night as well ate at 5.15 a hour before usual, i got to get to bottom of it sometime lol x

i understand what u mean Heidi i did eat earlier 2night as well ate at 5.15 a hour before usual, i got to get to bottom of it sometime lol x

Hi Steff...

Keep us posted...2morrow I will do some research see if I can find anything that might shed some light on it for you..

Heidi
xx🙂

Hi Steff..

Just been doing a little digging about on the internet...Now I've found this site
www.netdoctor.co.uk/interactive/discussion/viewtopic.

Had a brief look in and there was a lot of info and general chat regarding type 2 and recommending eating cinnamon.

It might shed some light on it for you

Heidi
xx🙂

hi Heidi thanks for taking the time to research for me last night i did not have a hyper yiipppeeeeeeee

hi Heidi thanks for taking the time to research for me last night i did not have a hyper yiipppeeeeeeee

Hi Steff...

Thats brilliant no hyper last night......yyeeeesssssss:D....

Heidi
xx🙂

LOL yes hope it lasts hun , i will stick to eating before 6 x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back