things that go hyper in the night

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steff

Little Miss Chatterbox
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
For the past 2 nights i have gone to bed as normal and had a hyper when going to sleep,I have suddenly jolted up and started talking away jabbering on as my o/h puts it, Am i making the mistake of eating to close to bed ? I always have a slice of toast or 3 crackers maybe half hour before bed im wondering if thats causing it? Maybe it was from my tea and it just took it's time to manifestor, I tested and was 17.1 and last night 16.4 😱😱.

For a long time I was told leave at least 2 hours between eating an bed time, but I'm not sure how it works with diabetes.

If thats the case im doing it all wrong then , i cant help it though i get so hungry at about midnight, last week when family where here it was not so bad cause i was in bed for 10 .

We are all different, so I think it is a case of trial and error. Sometimes I get hungry in the middle of the night and have to get out of bed and find something to eat because a galss of water just wont satisfy.

yeah i guess your right i could also try going to bed earlier i suppose LOL

The main reason I go to bed early is I'm an early riser. I am normally in work by 7am. I hate crowds and travel early to beat the worst of the rush hour, and being on flexi hours allows me to do this

yeah i mean im early riser my body is used to getting up at 7.15 for son to get to school even now when he is off i am still up by 8,I might try and break the pattern and go for 11 o clock to bed see what happens

I am up at 5am as it takes me over an hour to get to work and I like some time to wake up before I leave the house.

Katie always has a snack before bed - glass of milk and a few biscuits.
That' s what we were told to do when she was diagnosed.

If thats the case im doing it all wrong then , i cant help it though i get so hungry at about midnight, last week when family where here it was not so bad cause i was in bed for 10 .

Hi Steff, sorry to hear about your hypers and your hunger. Have you thought about nibbling on something that is low GI or very low carb? It may help keep your sugars down.

My current nibble is low salt salted peanuts.

Have you contacted your diabetes team about your hypers as they may have a better answer.

Steff do you know what your blood sugar is before bed before you eat your snack? that way you can work out if it's your evening meal causing you to go high, or it's the snack. It's possible you were already high from evening meal and the snack just pushes you further up. Tez's suggestion of having a low carb snack is a good one if you are high at that time it will help with the hunger but won't do too much harm to your blood sugars.
More testing in the evenings to find out what it going on

yea its round 7.1 to 7.5 as a rule , but i might need a little suggestion as to what a can have that is low in GI ???? x

that is a big jump then because 7 is a reasonable number to go to bed on. Would you be able to try going to bed with no snack and then testing sometime in the night to see what your levels are. then test in the night after your usual snack, that will help you identify that it's the snack causing you problems.

suppose i could try but im a real deep sleeper and i would have to set alarm but then that would annoy him as he gets up at 4 for work and he dont need me disturbing him at 1 or sumit lol X

Why are you eating 20 carbs just before bed in the first place?

i didnt know i was eating 20 carbs , as i already said i am after some suggestions on low carb or G.I as tez suggested

For the past 2 nights i have gone to bed as normal and had a hyper when going to sleep,I have suddenly jolted up and started talking away jabbering on as my o/h puts it, Am i making the mistake of eating to close to bed ? I always have a slice of toast or 3 crackers maybe half hour before bed im wondering if thats causing it? Maybe it was from my tea and it just took it's time to manifestor, I tested and was 17.1 and last night 16.4 😱😱.

Dear Steff,

You do post some interesting subjects. This one caused me to do a simple calculation to estimate how much glucose your snack put into your bloodstream. Here it is:

Level before snack 7.1mmol/L
Level after snack 17.1mmol/L
Increase 10.0mmol/L

Assuming a blood volume of 5L the increase corresponds to 50mmol of glucose. The molar mass of glucose is approximately 180g/mol. So the amount of glucose from your snack is 180.50/1000gms = 9gms.

warmest Regards Dodger

Last edited:
Dear Steff,

You do post some interesting subjects. This one caused me to do a simple calculation to estimate how much glucose your snack put into your bloodstream. Here it is:

Level before snack 7.1mmol/L
Level after snack 17.1mmol/L
Increase 10.0mmol/L

Assuming a blood volume of 5L the increase corresponds to 50mmol of glucose. The molar mass of glucose is approximatly 180g/mol. So the amount of glucose from your snack is 180.50/1000gms = 9gms.

warmest Regards Dodger

thank you dodger i do like to keep your mind going LOL , so im better off not eating me thinks

thank you dodger i do like to keep your mind going LOL , so im better off not eating me thinks

You have a lovely sense of humour LOL, and yes a low carb snack would be better

Warmest Regards Dodger

Hi Steff...

When Nathan was diagnosed we were told to give him supper..so he has a couple of slices of toast and an apple...at about 9pm-9.30 ish....His main carb intake is at tea..which is between 4.30-5pm....After 6pm large amounts of carbs take longer to digest as the stomach slows down.

On the low GI line...how about an apple or peanuts...

My personal feeling is have some supper..even if its only a nibble of something..Its a long time for any diabetic regardless of type to go from tea to breakfast, without a snack..

Heidi
xx🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back