Thigh injecting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steff

Little Miss Chatterbox
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
After injecting in my tummy since April i am wanting to start on the other option which is my thigh i was wondering what it is like from people who inject there is it any diffirent?

Thanks.🙂

Hiya,

When I was first diagnosed, I actually injected in my thigh, and then moved onto my stomach. I don't have any problems with injecting in my thigh. I tend to inject more at the top of my thigh where I can pinch more skin. At the start I had a little bruising, as I did when I first started injecting in my stomach, but have no such problems now. I also find it gives my stomach a bit of a break.

Hope that helps!!

Vicki 🙂
xxx

Obviously I can't speak from experience, as I'm not diabetic and I have only "injected" into my thigh once with a syringe when we were first in hospital.

C has never injected into her tummy, she's too scared. She injects into both of her thighs, rotating as she goes along and always changing leg with each injection. Also if she has both insulins at the same time(or almost), then she will inject each insulin in a different leg.

You just have to be careful you don't inject into a bloodvessel. And do make sure you rotate around your thigh, otherwise you'll get "lumpy" and the insulin won't work properly. Always inject in the area in between a handwith away from the knee and the groin (does that make sense? I know what I mean, but will you?). Apparently the inside of the thigh is more sensitive too.

If you have very short needles (4-5 mm) you won't even have to pinch your leg.

Good luck!🙂

Hi Steff, in some ways I prefer injecting into my thighs as there's a little more to grab hold of and inject into. I find it easier towards the top of the thigh and to the side slightly.

Hi thank you for the speedy replies, well i certainly have enough to grab hold of so to speak hehe, ill do it tomorrow how you said shiv and see how i find it

p.s im on 6mm needles x

Just checked on the needle box. C used to have 6mm ones and we were told that we don't have to pinch her thigh ( I was doing the injections at that time). But maybe that only applies to a child, I don't know.

She now has 8mm Autocover needles and injects herself. With those she has to pinch.

Just checked on the needle box. C used to have 6mm ones and we were told that we don't have to pinch her thigh ( I was doing the injections at that time). But maybe that only applies to a child, I don't know.

She now has 8mm Autocover needles and injects herself. With those she has to pinch.

As i pinch my tummy and i vaguely remember the nurse showing me how to do so i will pinch and it it hurts i wont repeat

Thanks x

Only injected in my thigh once and it hurt so I didn't try again! Actually, not because I was afraid to, but because insulin gets absorbed more rapidly when injected in an area that you are using a lot. As I run a lot, my leg wasn't a good option because of the dangers of hypo.

Not sure if this applies to Byetta though Steff, you should ask your nurse.

A woman whose doctor once let her
Start taking a course of Byetta,
Began to lose weight,
Saw her levels abate,
And soon felt considerably better!

:D

Only injected in my thigh once and it hurt so I didn't try again! Actually, not because I was afraid to, but because insulin gets absorbed more rapidly when injected in an area that you are using a lot. As I run a lot, my leg wasn't a good option because of the dangers of hypo.

Not sure if this applies to Byetta though Steff, you should ask your nurse.

A woman whose doctor once let her
Start taking a course of Byetta,
Began to lose weight,
Saw her levels abate,
And soon felt considerably better!

:D

Very good Northey and thought up so quickly .

What I will do is ring my nurse tomorrow morning and that way i will know for sure.

Hi thank you for the speedy replies, well i certainly have enough to grab hold of so to speak hehe, ill do it tomorrow how you said shiv and see how i find it

p.s im on 6mm needles x

Hiya steff just out of interest how many units of insulin total are you on per day? just because as of july there is new 4mm needles bcoming available on prescription and you dont have to pinch the skin when you use them! i have been using some as a trial over the last month and found them alot better than the 6mm i as using previously 🙂 the only catch is that you have to be on 40 units of less to be able to use them.

Hellooooooooooo
I started with injecting in my stomach and have tried my thighs but hate injecting into them as I find it hurts and leaves big bruises. DN suggested the tops of my arms and I sometimes I use them if I want to give stomach a break. I had a C section and parts of stomach is still a little numb, which is very handy. LOL.Northener.....I did not know that by injecting into arms / legs it may get into my system quicker........learn something new ever day. Now I think of it that makes a lot of sense.

Hiya steff just out of interest how many units of insulin total are you on per day? just because as of july there is new 4mm needles bcoming available on prescription and you dont have to pinch the skin when you use them! i have been using some as a trial over the last month and found them alot better than the 6mm i as using previously 🙂 the only catch is that you have to be on 40 units of less to be able to use them.

im not on insulin hun i take byetta 10mg day and night x

im not on insulin hun i take byetta 10mg day and night x

Ooo is byetta an injection? sorry thats my lack of type 2 knowledge showing itself! oops i thought it was a tablet...or am i thinking of metorfin? SP? sorry lol x

Ooo is byetta an injection? sorry thats my lack of type 2 knowledge showing itself! oops i thought it was a tablet...or am i thinking of metorfin? SP? sorry lol x

yeah in pen form hun, it's ok im like that with all the types of insulin im always asking about it x metformin is the tablet yeah

yeah in pen form hun, it's ok im like that with all the types of insulin im always asking about it x metformin is the tablet yeah

ahh ok well i know that now thanks 🙂

Well it may be worth asking your dns about the needles anyway at your next meet as that 2mm less needle really does make a difference, good luck with the thigh injection tomoro 🙂

Ooh, my DSN friend gave me a sample of those today, didn't realise they weren't properly available yet! Just did my lantus with one and found it hurt (the 6s I use never do) but I think it's because I rammed it in without thinking about the fact it's smaller! I'll persevere...!

Hello, I have been a Diabetic for 4 and half years, and only about march this year i started using my belly, i am very slim and up until down havent had much of a belly to inject into.

I have never found thighs a problem, but i have noticed the skin is a litter thicker than my belly, so i does affect your body more than you think.

The nurse once told me someone else could inject you in your bottom, but i have never fancied that one, not a nice thing for anyone to have to do. I might try and see if i can do it, although a bruise on my bum wouldnt be good for sitting :D

I've heard it said that absorption in the thigh is slightly slower than in the abdomen (which is odd given what Northener said) though must say I've not really noticed much difference.

The only thing I have to watch in thigh-jabs is hair follicles. If you get the needle threading down one of those it really smarts!

Im yet to hear back from my nurse she is on house calls till after 2 so this morning i went with belly,tonight if the chat goes ok and she says ok to thigh ill do it .

I've heard it said that absorption in the thigh is slightly slower than in the abdomen (which is odd given what Northener said) though must say I've not really noticed much difference.

It is slower to absorb than the belly, unless the surrounding muscle is very active. I guess the increased blood flow and heat increase the absorbtion. 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back