The results are in...

Status
Not open for further replies.

katie

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Had my appointment today and it went better than I was expecting HbA1c wise. I was expecting it to go up but it went from 7.8% to 7.7%, yay, that will do for now 🙂

but

My cholesterol is 6.5 and my blood pressure is high! Gah, I'm only 24!

I know exactly why it is though. Ive been sat on my bum since I got home from Australia, have done little exercise and there's the other thing I don't want to mention... 😛

On the plus side I did get a Novopen4 and a new pink glucose monitor :D

That is good news. Well done! 🙂

The cholesterol is a bit of a pain though. Mine was 7.1 at the last check. I'm desperately trying to stay off the statins, but if that level persists, then I may have to surrender (for a bit!).

Andy

great news on The A1c 🙂
Do they want to put you on statins? My brothers GP wanted to put him on them for his cholesterol and he is only 22 so his consultant said no.

Thanks Andy 🙂 Good luck with getting your cholesterol down, hope you can avoid the statins.

Thanks Nikki. Totally forgot to say... He doesn't want to put me on statins but he said I would need blood pressure medicine if I can't get it back to normal. So he's told me to do some testing home and see how it goes over the next 4 months. I'm sure I can do it.

Good news on hbA Katie really well done

Sorry i cant offer anything on the rest but if you know what it is thats causing it that at least gives you something to work on x

HBA1C is going down which is main thing as bringing it down too fast can cause complications and make you feel awful. Sorry about the cholesterol but I know from experience that high sugars can mess about with cholesterol. What you need is someone to take a look at the breakdown. Triglycerides are the main problem, you want a high HDL which is still taken into account on your total. I have reviewed the evidence on LDL and from what I have seen in my non medical professional opinion is that whilst high or low LDL is a problem its not the same as trigs. Also my LDL is high if my sugars are high. If you hba1c was 1 % lower you might see a much reduced total, and like I said total can be deceptive if you have high HDL which is good!

Thanks guys.

I forgot to ask what the breakdown was but looking at my last result I doubt my HDL has gone up (unfortunately), it was 1.2 and my LDL was 3. That was 6 months ago and my diet has been worse since then I think.

I'm probably more worried about my blood pressure because it has been high for a while i think. when they re-test it is sometimes normal but the majority have been high. I will test this by taking my blood pressure at home. I'm more worried about my sight than my heart at the moment :D

I find that when I test my bp at home it is consistently around the 125/80 mark. Whenever I'm tested in the surgery or hospital it is often higher (although a retest is usually lower). I'm convinced it's because I'm a 'nervous patient'! Anyway, I'm going to take my home bp monitor in with me next time and try to find out how accurate it is!

Still, I'm sure all the exercise I've been getting has improved matters. My resting heart rate used to be 80+ and is now 60 or less.

Andy

Good work on the H bee doo dar girl!

Hmm not so hot on the others, but not too bad, I'm sure you'll manage to work on them.

Last time I was told bp was high I told them I was stressed so they said okay we'll leave it for now. But they also went on to say that even deep breathes to calm you down can help when you are getting it tested.

Take care

Rossi

PS You should leave any cheese and red wine and pass them on to me, I'll help you out😉

I find that when I test my bp at home it is consistently around the 125/80 mark. Whenever I'm tested in the surgery or hospital it is often higher (although a retest is usually lower). I'm convinced it's because I'm a 'nervous patient'! Anyway, I'm going to take my home bp monitor in with me next time and try to find out how accurate it is!

Still, I'm sure all the exercise I've been getting has improved matters. My resting heart rate used to be 80+ and is now 60 or less.

Andy

The increase in bp when attending clinics or your gp is called 'white coat syndrome', it is more common than most would think, and it is not unusual for people to find a big increase in bp than they would experience at home. My gp says this is due the stress of such situations and most gp's and consultants are aware of this. My own bp can be mostly under 120/70 whilst testing at home on my own monitor, but when I attend clinic it can go up to 180/85, so I always take along my own bp record book to show my gp and consultant my measurements at home. Gp's will mostly use the home measurements as a true reflection of your bp, so anyone with who experience high readings may want to consider buying a home bp monitor. Toby.

Katie, may i ask what your BP reading is ?

Umm It was something like 140 something over 80 something, but I can't remember the exact numbers. I'm going to do a home test in a minute to see if it was a 'nervous' result.

Good work on the H bee doo dar girl!

Hmm not so hot on the others, but not too bad, I'm sure you'll manage to work on them.

Last time I was told bp was high I told them I was stressed so they said okay we'll leave it for now. But they also went on to say that even deep breathes to calm you down can help when you are getting it tested.

Take care

Rossi

PS You should leave any cheese and red wine and pass them on to me, I'll help you out😉

Haha ok I will pass you the wine and cheese, nay bother 😉

Yeah I've been a bit down about being in England instead of australia, not having a job etc. Also been eating crap and sleeping at funny hours and...smoking a bit *cough* (that appointment has made me stop).

I'm so determined that ive been eating rye bread, woah.

Can I just ask - why is there a reluctance to take statins - i only ask because I have been put on atorstatin? I don't even know why as haven't been given results - was put on a while ago when cholesterol was high but sure it has come down loads since?

Well done on the HBA1c Katie.

Can I just ask - why is there a reluctance to take statins - i only ask because I have been put on atorstatin? I don't even know why as haven't been given results - was put on a while ago when cholesterol was high but sure it has come down loads since?

Well done on the HBA1c Katie.

There is a tendency to put diabetics on statins, especially Type 2s, simply because they are diabetics and no matter whether they actually need them or not. Some of us who are in that position are questioning the reasoning behind that habit.

Thanks Alison, Are there any adverse affects to taking them?

Well done on your HbA1c reduction, as others say the higher bp might be to do with white coat syndrome. My nurse talks to me about other things then sneeks up on me to get my bp done LOL..

Thanks Alison, Are there any adverse affects to taking them?

I looked up Atorvastatin on Wikipedia. I'm on simvastatin which has a similar list but I haven't noticed any problems with it. I've kept taking it because my cholesterol was pretty high at diagnosis, while my blood pressure was and always has been low. I got a reading of 4.9last time but want to get down below 4.6 and stay there before I stop taking them.

I tested earlier and it was first 133/70 and then 134/67. Still too high.

Lucy I think the problem some people have with statins is that they are put on them when they don't need to be. For example Northerner's cholesterol was very low and he was still on statins so he decided to stop taking them.

Also statins in people who could become pregnant are not a good idea and they are not recommended for pregnancy and should be stopped a while prior to conceiving. So it's a consideration that has to be taken balancing the risks.

I tested earlier and it was first 133/70 and then 134/67. Still too high.

Lucy I think the problem some people have with statins is that they are put on them when they don't need to be. For example Northerner's cholesterol was very low and he was still on statins so he decided to stop taking them.

I know you're only a young lass, but those figures don't seem overly high to me??the second number certainly seems fine, but hey what do I know....🙄

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back