The 'New on Pump' thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patricia

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
This is for everyone who has expressed interest in a running diary of the early days of pumping...

Yesterday my son began his awaited foray into pumping, after a week's saline. He's 13, type 1, diagnosed Nov 08. We've been lucky, with a cooperative PCT and keen GP and consultant, to get him through quickly. He's also very motivated, which seems to have helped us all along.

So far, so interesting! We had kept very good records of bgls and meals, carb counting, bolus units, etc, so were able to hit the ground running, receiving training on everything from all the parameters that need setting to dual and square waving. He's on a medtronic, and finding it simple to use. And I'll admit that he's come to grips with it hugely faster than I could have. It's like a mobile phone to him, whizzing through all the menus, etc...

Yesterday he started the day at the hospital on 17 because we were asked to skip his morning levermir dose. He instantly bolused a correction upon being hooked up (1 unit = 3 mmols sensitivity), and 45 mins later he was down to 9! He was then starving. They offered him a Hobnob. 8 g -- bolused for that: 0.9 units!

Half an hour later we'd gone to lunch. Panini, packaged, so tested (7.7 mmols by this point), 63 g carb. Bolus wizard worked it all out and bingo, in it goes.

Two hours later, he has a mild hypo, 3.8. Treat with glucose only, in half an hour up to 5 ish. Has hot choc, boluses with bgl inputted. Fights lows (no hypos) all afternoon, but is ECSTATIC with numbers, bless him. I feel the control is a little *too* tight for my comfort.

After speaking with our nurse last night, she agreed and changed one of his basal rates, asked us to track him through the night, and get back to her at 7am this morning, before his breakfast bolus. We did so: 5.7 before dinner, 5.7 2 hours after dinner, then at 12 am 4.5 (woke him up, gave snack, not bolused), 3 am he was at 6.6 (from snack no doubt) but this morning he was back on 3.9. Still too tight!

Our nurse's suggestion was to lower all basal rates (set at different times and rates over the day according to his patterns of rise and fall) by an increment, and to under-shoot his morning bolus while we waited for this to have an effect.

Morning text from E says: 17 at 9am (under two hours after breakfast, but still high. He corrected with wizard, which took into account active insulin from breakfast); 13 at 11am (he had snack with bolus wizard and correction).

He's going to be cross because he loved the low numbers. But to be honest, I'd rather approach it from this end, working down -- rather than always worrying about propping him up! Had some difficulty sleeping last night...

Question to ask DSN tonight: what level to you aim to 'go to bed on' with a pump? We completely forgot to ask that yesterday....

No doubt he will be 'tweaked' this evening. If yesterday is anything to go by though, by the time he gets home he will be right down where he's supposed to be, the magical bolus wizard having done its thing. The high numbers this morning are partly a deliberate under-bolus and partly quite a reining in of basal rates, no doubt.

But that's OKAY BY ME as I say. The young man had exams today on top of everything else, though he didn't seem even remotely fazed by the prospect....

Crikey you need a maths and science degree! I am type 2 and don't have all the worry that you have but i commend anyone who do this for their children, themselves and no doubt their parents.

Very interesting reading.

Julie x

Thank you so much for this new thread, Patricia. I am so interested in everything you have said as we will be starting my son on his pump on 7th July.

Wow! It sounds like you are doing fantastically so far because i know that it is like starting all over again as insulin requirements are different on a pump.

Like you, i would prefer to start higher and work way down because it seems safer for him.

Well, I wish you continued success with the pump. I will be reading your posts with interest.

Thanks again and i hope your son gets the good exam results he deserves! He sounds like a star to me! 🙂🙂

ps. Patricia, Bev and all other interested parents - when my son starts on his pump, shall i have thread of my own or add my posts to this thread? 🙂🙂

WOW! You make it sound so easy! The only thing i dont understand is the bolus wizard? Does that just work out insulin once the carbs have been entered? Sounds great. E is doing very well coping with all this and exams - he is a star! Also, if you are having a couple of snacks with 20 minutes or so apart - does it tell you how much insulin you still have left and then recalculate the new amount for the new snack? Sorry i know what i mean in my head i just have trouble expressing it!:D

Keep the diary coming as i know i will be reading it avidly. Als good question about how much to send him to bed on with a pump - is it different? Bev

Mand, i would suggest you do a seperate thread as it could get very complicated - and selfishly i prefer to read them seperately! Also, it would be good to compare the two boys results etc..(if you dont mind that is!):D Bev

Ok, Bev. Good idea, I will do my own thread. 🙂🙂

Somehow I lost my last response, argh!

Yes Bev bolus wizard works out everything: dose once carb is entered (before meal with bgl too, so can correct etc). Wizard also takes active insulin into account, so snacks are bolused but not overdosed....

All sorts of parameters are set according to the history: so E's max bolus is 14 units, which means that he can't have more than 14 units active at once, nor can he take more than 14 at one go. His active insulin time is 4 hours, though usually 5 hours is the start point. This is something the saline trial showed -- that we needed to lower this parameter for him, because of his eating and needing corrections, etc...It's also about how you process insulin...His sensitivity is 1 unit = 3 mmols, again from his history, though this does seem a very changeable figure with him depending on his start level and time of day...

The bolus wizard also has the dual and square wave functions, which we are really looking forward to using for dosing pasta, rice and pizza (dual: a hit of insulin first, majority to follow x hours later, to be determined through experience) and porridge (slow even release over x hours).

Just heard from him: he's giving tiny corrections with every blood test, every two hours (determined by wizard). Clearly the basal will need raising in places again!

Update this evening is that the morning (8 am - 12 pm) basal is raised -- this is because even though we under dosed breakfast bolus, he still went a bit higher than expected...to his credit, he pegged it back all day gradually, using wizard corrections, to where since lunch he's been stable, 5-8mmols.

Advice on bedtime levels is: this week, while stabilising, give carb without bolus until sticking around 7 mmols or higher. But when stabilised, okay to go to bed on 5 or 6. This is because the basal with pumps is STAGGERINGLY even and predictable. I mean, the difference is incredible. It's hard to explain. But there's such a feeling of 'ground' to this now, rather than up and down with each levermir injection...Three times in two days now the pre-meal bgl has ended up the SAME as the 2 hour post bolus meal bgl. Amazing.

The whole system also makes fundamental sense to me/us. The variables are understandable, and instantly adjustable. There's guess work, yes, and lots of experimentation to be done over foods. But something feels more transparent, which is comforting.

Last edited:
can i askyou how can you carb counting with a child when one hour is very hungry and maybe after does not wont anything maybe only some milk

Hi Grahams mum, do you mean what do you do if Graham doesnt want to eat all the food you give him - after you have carb counted it and injected him? Bev

Patricia, it sounds like you have it sussed already! Is it ok for me to say i am a little bit jealous? lol. Seriously, i cant wait for the day Alex is on a pump! At the moment he is high all through the night - so i have just split the levemir to try to sort that out - but it seems so pathetic compared to how easy it is to adjust on a pump! Keep the diary going - its very interesting and i am lapping it all up! Thanks. 🙂 Bev

usually if is really tired i give him some milk with dissolvable biscuits in it

Sorry Grahams mum, I'm a little confused. Is this trying to 'chase' his insulin dose? how old is he? Maybe there are some clever solutions according to age. My son is 13, so quite capable of judging how hungry he is generally -- except that at the moment, he is literally hungry all the time, so the pump is a godsend. Case in point: after dinner, decides he's still actually quite hungry (after new pots, salmon and asparagus!), so has a mini victoria sponge and strawbs and cream, boluses it all. Still just 6.6 before bed. I'm telling you, it's just a completely different story!

Bev, I'd be jealous if I were reading me. Quickly may the day come for Alex. As Katie (?) said on another thread, the real bore is all the constant carb counting. But at least with the pump there is in-built accuracy for all that trouble. It is hugely more sensitive. Short of a cure, the pump is a step closer to a less regimented life. Even tonight, downstairs for dinner, E suddenly said: I don't have to inject. (High five time for all.)

The pump is not a panacea. And I'm sure we'll be itching for the next thing in six months. But for the moment, the quality of life difference is sort of shocking.

Bev, what's Alex's level in the morning? If he's high, then maybe whether splitting or not the lev needs raising? On MDI, E's split was quite a ways off even: it was 12 evening, 9 morning. Doesn't high at night always mean more levermir? On a split dose then, you can lower the daytime if he's going too low in waking hours....

Hmm. But yes, the adjustments on the pump are much more fine. We are adjusting 0.05/hour increments at the moment to different basal levels. And there five basal levels set for one day!

graham is 5 and he maybe say in the car after school is really hungry put the ingredient together and is coming out oh i only want some baked beans and if he is to tired fall a sleep on the sofa especially PE days

Oh dear. I think it's possible at times like this to inject after eating...I remember our DSN saying that sometimes that's all you can do with young ones sometimes. Then at least you are injecting for the food eaten, not what you thought he was going to eat.

How stressful for you. I'm wondering if this is worth putting up on a separate thread, to see how others have dealt either with their children or with themselves?

Also, I'm thinking that childrenwithdiabetes.com (uk) may be able to help you enormously. do you know the group? A bunch of really clued up parents, with lots of experience, email group...

i know the other site but this is MUCH BETTER!!!!!

Patricia,
Alex seems ok on most of his ratios in the day - but later in the day his levels start rising. So he can go to bed on 8 or 9 and then at 11pm he can be 22!!!
Then in the morning he can wake up anywhere between 13 and 22!

So tonight i have given him half his levemir and will give him the rest in the morning - so hopefully it will stop the highs at night. It seems the levemir was running out before its 24 hours. Also increasing his levemir in not an option as he just hypo's all day then!

Having said all that - do you think i will need to alter his novorapid for any reason? I have assumed its ok to keep the same ratios etc? Thanks. Bev

Hi Bev

I'm guessing his morning and evening boluses (raising morning ratio, lowering evening) might need adjusting in the long run -- I seem to remember doing this when we split E's levermir. But you have a day for things to settle, before Alex is on a 'full' dose of lev. See where he is day after tomorrow morning -- if under 7, I would look at ratio. If still high ish, wouldn't bother as will just confuse things. Getting the basal right first is the key. The ratios I think then naturally follow?

I find the trial and error of this all one of the worst things. Like -- I know, let's *see* if he has a hypo. Yes? Time to adjust. *Such* a shame that we can't predict it, and protect them from it all.

Anyway, you may find that you will need to skew the split, as I say. Hopefully the split dose will at least solve the daytime hypos... You can always add more to the evening dose if you need to, pull back on the day (in which case, of course, the ratios need looking at again when things settle! Sigh.).

Grahamsmum -- I find this site easier to manage anyway, I must confess.

Bev, you've been thinking about splitting for a while, haven't you? Hope it works out. We never got to the really high morning levels with the single dose lev, but certainly noticed the evening rise. Splitting the lev pretty much solved it. Fingers crossed for you.

Gosh Patricia, it all sounds amazing! It's just great that you are doing so well already! I am reading your posts with huge enthusiasm!

I do so hope that we have the same success as you because my sons levels are not great at the moment and he is so fed up with injections.

Anyway, I am delighted for you (and jealous! Hehe! 🙂) but hopefully will be in the same boat as you soon.

Bev, you are not alone, my son's levels can be like Alex's at times. It is all so exhausting. Personally, I am hoping the pump sorts him out, like Patricia's son.

Can I just take this opportunity to say how less lonely I feel about caring for my son's diabetes now that i have found this forum and all of you. 🙂🙂

Excellent thread, Patricia, thank you for doing this you will be providing enormous help and comfort to many, many people!

My control is generally pretty good (last HbA1c 5.3%), but I do like the idea that I could 'bolus for a biscuit'! Sounds like a marketing catchphrase! How is E feeling about wearing the pump all the time? Just wondering if the successes with the levels are overriding any discomfort he might be feeling, or has he got used to it already?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back