The Aasics London 10km Run 11th July 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sugarbum

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I'm running (I use the term loosly!) the Aasics London 10km run on the 11th July 2010 for the JDRF.

I just posted that as my status yesterday on facebook and was rather excited to hear Shelly (running for DUK I think) and also Aymes are in it as well. Abit of a diabetes forum thing/connection brewing here...? 🙂

I was wondering if anyone else is running or watching from the group?

Should be fun! 😱

Pub lunch after??? Obviously involving profiteroles....

Would be interesting to compare starting/finishing levels etc (after the race that is, not the profiteroles!)

Pub lunch after??? Obviously involving profiteroles....

Would be interesting to compare starting/finishing levels etc (after the race that is, not the profiteroles!)

DEFINATELY!!! I agree, some sort of over-zelous munchies will definately be in order!🙂

Are you running for charity Aymes?

Are you running for charity Aymes?

Probably not, as I run longer races as well I struggle to justify getting people to sponsor me for shorter races. My first year I ran it for DUK though. May wear the cat eats though..!

Probably not, as I run longer races as well I struggle to justify getting people to sponsor me for shorter races. My first year I ran it for DUK though. May wear the cat eats though..!

Yay!!! Cats Ears! (I presume that's what you meant, not fish in jelly or something:D

Pub lunch after!! Sounds good!

I will look into the race if I'm lucky they're already full up! But having never exercised whilst being D' (apart from forest clearing🙄) could be interesting!

Come on Ross you know you wanna 🙂

Gonna be great me thinks, I'm more of a jogger with regular walking in between so will not have a competitive time heheh...fully in for the profiteroles of course :D

Good luck to all of you running in the 10k tomorrow! 🙂 Run, run like the wind! :D

Thanks guys, it's so hot I doubt I'll be anywhere near a good time!
Looking forward to seeing the other forum runners in the park for an ice cream after though!

Ive just walked to the post office and shop for some milk which is only a couple of blocks away and its so hot I have zero energy- I hate to think of tomorrow and wearing all that running clobber!

Good luck guys xx (I wil be easy to spot as I wont be moving very fast!)

keep cool and enjoy yourselves

I didn't even think about entering, and now too late, but a couple of weeks ago, met a friend, at Parkrun, running for first time since birth of baby 2 months ago, who'd done Asics 10km last summer when newly pregnant. I reckon I'd need to pour almost as much water over my head as drink during the run.
Of the topic, but related, a friend from Strathclyde texted this morning to say she and 18 month old son are in London, but she's coming to Cambridge, instead of me going to London - we'll be canoeing on Cam and paddling in pool, I think, rather than getting too hot in the "big sweat pond" as she calls London.

Ive just walked to the post office and shop for some milk which is only a couple of blocks away and its so hot I have zero energy- I hate to think of tomorrow and wearing all that running clobber!

Good luck guys xx (I wil be easy to spot as I wont be moving very fast!)

Bikinis! :D

Oh so unhelpful suggestions northener! :D

Shelly is running as micky mouse as well! 😱 what a nutter!

I actually was thinking this morning I would rather run in my flip-flops than get really hot feet in my trainers....this is a disaster brewing already can feel it.

A real shame actually its not weather like the last time I did it, it was cloudy and slight drizzle at the begining- perfect. A shame because I was really looking forward to it before the heatwave begun. I got a foot-tag this year for a proper time and really wanted to work towards this a proper challenge this time. Im really going to be affected by the heat I know.

I'm also a little worried- any advice (and I dont mean what colour bikini! 🙂)

I know what you mean, I put a load of effort into training this time round and was on course for a pb, thats never going to happen now, soooo disappointed!
I'm just making sure I'm drinking plenty of water today to keep hydrated. On train to hotel now, going to have a chill out evening with my housemate, face packs, magazines etc....
See you tomorrow!

Oh so unhelpful suggestions northener! :D

Shelly is running as micky mouse as well! 😱 what a nutter!

I actually was thinking this morning I would rather run in my flip-flops than get really hot feet in my trainers....this is a disaster brewing already can feel it.
...I'm also a little worried- any advice (and I dont mean what colour bikini! )

Try not to fear the heat Lou, just go at a pace you feel comfortable with from the start. Put some baby powder on your feet and be sure to wear socks with your trainers - it will help a lot! Sip water ffrequently - if they are handing out bottles as they often do nowadays, keep the bottle with you rather than throwing it away half full. Try to go as long as you can without stopping - once you've stopped it's harder to get going again. Pour a litle water over your head, forearms and thighs and it will help keep you cool. Try to distract yourself by laughing at all the nutters in Minnie Mouse outfits 😉 When you get to half way, keep telling yourself that you're on the final stretch! Enjoy it! 🙂

Don't JDRF issue running bikinis then? They sent me some JDRF speedos for last year's Great South Run, but it was October so a bit too chilly...

Sugarbum - serious advice - don't just drink water before, during and after race, also pour it over your head, neck & arms; lace shoes carefully & experiment with different thicknesses of socks, as feet will swell in heat; have sandals to change into after running.
You could adopt Top Gear "Stars in Reasonably Priced Cars" strategy: times are marked if they are in wet or very wet conditions, as these are known to be slower than dry runs, so count this as a hot run, and don't be disappointed if you don't get a PB.
Best of luck to both of you - you're already beating me for actually intending to get to start line. But I reckon last weekend's SLMM was more suitable for me.

Good luck everybody :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back