Testing strips on the NHS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davetherave99

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi all not used this forum very much in the past but would welcome some comments.
Background :
Im type 2,74 years old male and very overweight around 95 kg.

My Habc1 recently came in at 65 so seriously need to make some improvement.

Have started to monitor my blood condition which is helping but my GP won't prescribe the testing strips.

For the time being I am accepting this but wonder if anyone else has found a solution as its costing £20 circa a month.

Thanks

That seems a lot of testing, unless the strips are expensive.
After the first few weeks when I was checking before and after eating I had breakfast sorted out and did not even need to test after eating, plus I did not check before as it was always about the same, and I was only eating twice a day anyway - keeping things stable was half the battle won.

Hi all not used this forum very much in the past but would welcome some comments.
Background :
Im type 2,74 years old male and very overweight around 95 kg.

My Habc1 recently came in at 65 so seriously need to make some improvement.

Have started to monitor my blood condition which is helping but my GP won't prescribe the testing strips.

For the time being I am accepting this but wonder if anyone else has found a solution as its costing £20 circa a month.

Thanks
I'm afraid as Type 2 unless on medication which could cause low blood glucose then GP are not obliged to prescribe test strips. You may find the monitor you have is one which used the more expensive strips so may be worth shopping around for a monitor with cheaper strips, the GlucoNavii and TEE 2 are ones with cheaper strips. How many strips do you get for your £20?
But whatever the cost it is important to use then strategically to give you useful information which will be helpful in making dietary changes.
By testing before you eat and after 2 hours you should be able to find suitable meals which you can tolerate.
You are aiming at 4-7mmol/l before meals and fasting and no more than 2-3mmol/l increase from your meal aiming at a 2 hour post meal reading of no more than 8-8.5mmol/l.
This link may help you find a way forward with some ideas for modifying your meals as I suspect they are too carb heavy.

When I was first diagnosed with type 2 a year ago I was told to only test on waking up and bedtime, after a while I decided I wanted to test before dinner as well making it three times a day which I still do.

I was fortunate that my DR increased my prescription to 100 test strips a month at no cost to myself, and they did provide the TEE2 tester free of charge as well, I must have been lucky I guess.

The last time I checked the test strip prices for the TEE2 was in May they were £11.95 for 50 and that was at Tesco's pharmacy, I did buy a pack to keep as a standby as I have had some failures due to lack of blood.

When I was first diagnosed with type 2 a year ago I was told to only test on waking up and bedtime, after a while I decided I wanted to test before dinner as well making it three times a day which I still do.

I was fortunate that my DR increased my prescription to 100 test strips a month at no cost to myself, and they did provide the TEE2 tester free of charge as well, I must have been lucky I guess.

The last time I checked the test strip prices for the TEE2 was in May they were £11.95 for 50 and that was at Tesco's pharmacy, I did buy a pack to keep as a standby as I have had some failures due to lack of blood.
I believe you are on Gliclazide so not lucky as such, just that they are obliged to provide you with test strips because Gliclazide can cause hypos.

That seems a lot of testing, unless the strips are expensive.
After the first few weeks when I was checking before and after eating I had breakfast sorted out and did not even need to test after eating, plus I did not check before as it was always about the same, and I was only eating twice a day anyway - keeping things stable was half the battle won.
Thanks useful Advice. The test strips cost around £18 for 50,although got the device for nothing. A nipro smart 4.i was thinking the same about my testing regime. So will try what you suggest.

Thanks useful Advice. The test strips cost around £18 for 50,although got the device for nothing. A nipro smart 4.
Do you use any type of app to measure progress.

I'm afraid as Type 2 unless on medication which could cause low blood glucose then GP are not obliged to prescribe test strips. You may find the monitor you have is one which used the more expensive strips so may be worth shopping around for a monitor with cheaper strips, the GlucoNavii and TEE 2 are ones with cheaper strips. How many strips do you get for your £20?
But whatever the cost it is important to use then strategically to give you useful information which will be helpful in making dietary changes.
By testing before you eat and after 2 hours you should be able to find suitable meals which you can tolerate.
You are aiming at 4-7mmol/l before meals and fasting and no more than 2-3mmol/l increase from your meal aiming at a 2 hour post meal reading of no more than 8-8.5mmol/l.
This link may help you find a way forward with some ideas for modifying your meals as I suspect they are too carb heavy.
Thanks useful Advice. The test strips cost around £18 for 50,although got the device for nothing. A nipro smart 4.i was thinking the same about my testing regime. So will try what you suggest. Thanks

I was fortunate in that my surgery gave me a test kit (Gluco Rx Q meter) and I was getting test strips on prescription until my BG dropped into normal range, after which I had to buy my own. The test strips are £11.99 for 50, which is pretty much a month's worth as these days I only test on waking and sometimes post-prandial. I currently buy them on Amazon, 2 x 50 at a time, and pick them up from their locker down at our local Morrisons, so no shipping costs involved.

Last edited:
My GP's surgery must be good as I've been prescribed the strips for a long time now. They are however pretty expensive. I'm guessing the cost of prescription is offset with the cost to the NHS if the levels are not monitored.

Thanks useful Advice. The test strips cost around £18 for 50,although got the device for nothing. A nipro smart 4.i was thinking the same about my testing regime. So will try what you suggest. Thanks
On Amazon TEE2 strips are £8.64 for 50 and GlucoNavii strips £18.79 for 100 so you would soon recoup the cost of buying one of those monitors in saving on strips.

I believe you are on Gliclazide so not lucky as such, just that they are obliged to provide you with test strips because Gliclazide can cause hypos.
Thank you, I wasn’t aware Gliclazide could cause hypos - something else I’ve learned.
I was given my TEE2 when first diagnosed and at that time I was given Metformin sr would that have been for the same reason?

Thank you, I wasn’t aware Gliclazide could cause hypos - something else I’ve learned.
I was given my TEE2 when first diagnosed and at that time I was given Metformin sr would that have been for the same reason?
Metformin is not one that should cause hypos so you were just lucky.

I had mine removed from prescription, when I stopped taking Gliclizide. I was only allowed 50 a month, so have self funded strips for years.

Thanks useful Advice. The test strips cost around £18 for 50,although got the device for nothing. A nipro smart 4.i was thinking the same about my testing regime. So will try what you suggest.
Ah I think the free meter is the bait on the hook as I am sure there are cheaper options.
Maybe contact Spirit Healthcare and ask if they would supply a meter if you ordered a number of pots of strips as I am sure that theirs are quite a bit cheaper. I use their Tee 2+ meter and it seems accurate and dependable - well it sorted me out. I am not sure how smart it is though - if you want to connect up and analyse - that is something to consider. I am so old I still use a slderule and I know how to program in Octal using switches.

I pay £9.13 for 50 test strips for my GlucoRX meter. Remember to claim back the VAT.

i buy my own but it is helping me see how high i am rather than stopping hypos. Boots gave me a £5 off voucher so that made it £15 for my accu chek . The sino care are less but seem less accurate but do me when im not really checking at hypos yet.
i find they have cheaper ones in Amazon around £12 mark. i test as much or as few as i want.
i don't go out much. Do not drink, don't have a gym membership, rarely eat out. I cannot have take aways, biscuits or crisps on low carb . So when you think a couple of pints a week is more than my test strips I don't grumble. Hubby also uses more petrol going ringing etc. i don’t grudge him and he's never complained on buying the strips. Now i am really trying recipes out and they have been delicious my main thing was to say no you have rice use it up then you can eat MY cauliflower lol never thought the day would come. Sometimes a thing like this shows how much he does care. This time maybe as i am strong and sticking to it . Wow he has been so supportive. Count my blessings. Does this diet make you think strange . @@@@lol lol lol

i buy my own but it is helping me see how high i am rather than stopping hypos. Boots gave me a £5 off voucher so that made it £15 for my accu chek . The sino care are less but seem less accurate but do me when im not really checking at hypos yet.
i find they have cheaper ones in Amazon around £12 mark. i test as much or as few as i want.
i don't go out much. Do not drink, don't have a gym membership, rarely eat out. I cannot have take aways, biscuits or crisps on low carb . So when you think a couple of pints a week is more than my test strips I don't grumble. Hubby also uses more petrol going ringing etc. i don’t grudge him and he's never complained on buying the strips. Now i am really trying recipes out and they have been delicious my main thing was to say no you have rice use it up then you can eat MY cauliflower lol never thought the day would come. Sometimes a thing like this shows how much he does care. This time maybe as i am strong and sticking to it . Wow he has been so supportive. Count my blessings. Does this diet make you think strange . @@@@lol lol lol
You can certainly notch up the mileage going ringing, we did 700 miles last week in Wales.

You can certainly notch up the mileage going ringing, we did 700 miles last week in Wales.
Oh but it was fun . It would the pub lunches and evening meals that would get me . i used to love Stanmore outings . Also did a few outings with sister in law. Towers and bells can all be so different as per wait the changes in the circle of bells etc . Hubby used to teach on the Essex course I have been there a long time ago.
Ringing is good . My friend originally got me roped in but since my back and other ops I'm not keen. My hands are useless too. Plus hubby rings on twelve and spliced at that I am an embarrassment really.
He has patience with others but I am more likely to give in than persevere.
Maybe in the next life Ill be good at something.
At the moment if i could stay asleep I think i might even be said to be good at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back