Testing and Injecting in Public

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think i have come a long way with this as i never used to do anything in public! But now i dont mind testing i will do that anywhere.

Injecting i am still a bit nervous especially if there are lots of people around, saying that yesterday i was in the pub with my friend and lots of her friends whom i had never met before, there was about 7 of us crammed round this table and it was at that time i realised i had to do my levemir! i was going to ask if anyone minded but thought id just do it anyway, and i managed to do it reaaly discretly under the table in my thigh! no one batted an eyelid or even looked - RESUULT!

Actualy part of me was a little dissapointed that no one saw lol, i like to educate people! oh well...🙄

Tried injected through my jeans this afternoon when I met some friends for lunch. Did it under the table without anyone seeing, but won't be doing it again. I was paranoid the needle wasn't in properly and ended up pushing down a little firmer. The result was a bloody needle tip :(!

Will stick to spending an extra few minutes nipping to the loo to do it I think 😉

Tried injected through my jeans this afternoon when I met some friends for lunch. Did it under the table without anyone seeing, but won't be doing it again. I was paranoid the needle wasn't in properly and ended up pushing down a little firmer. The result was a bloody needle tip :(!

Will stick to spending an extra few minutes nipping to the loo to do it I think 😉

Jeans are not a good idea, the fabric is too thick. I have injected through a cotton t shirt and thin tousers before with no trouble. Sheena

I don't inject through clothes for precisely those reasons! Can you not just lift your shirt and do the injection into your tummy? No need to go to the loo - once you've done it a couple of times it will be easier 🙂 When I first injected in public it did build up in my mind a bit, so I decided to just go for it and be very matter of fact. If you think someone may be looking, ask them if they'd like you to show them - some say no and look away, others are interested and it helps educate them a little.

Jeans are not a good idea, the fabric is too thick. I have injected through a cotton t shirt and thin tousers before with no trouble. Sheena

Yes, i agree with this, i am the same. I don't do it through jeans but can be known on occasions to go through thinner fabric of clothing....especially when cornered in a restaurant and not wanting to make a fuss (mind you this doesn't happen often)!!

Bernie 🙂 xx

Since I went off Human Mixtard to Apidra and Lantus I do inject anywhere. The most unusual places recently was when I was covering Sonisphere for The Bridge on a press pass. I injected in the VIP area there and also by the security wall around the Appollo stage watching Placebo nobody batted an eye lid. I always inject at my desk at my paid work and it did freak out my team leader when he first took over my team but now he doesn't notice. Also when I'm doing my radio show I have to inject my lantus which I often do at about 11:05ish during the first two songs of that hour at the desk, good job we don't have a web cam 😉

Testing I do most places I have an Accu-Chek Aviva Nano. I had to get it changed recently due to a fault the one I had back from Roche doesn't have a mute on the bleep or a hypo warning. Once my station manager came and advised they were listening to my show and they heard a random couple of bleeps had I left the news feed channel open picking up the carrier signel. I listened and worked out what it was it was the bleep from the machine when it had received the blood and also got the reading. He laughed and told me to be very careful doing it esp if other presenters were around.

Marc

I don't inject through clothes for precisely those reasons! Can you not just lift your shirt and do the injection into your tummy? No need to go to the loo - once you've done it a couple of times it will be easier 🙂 When I first injected in public it did build up in my mind a bit, so I decided to just go for it and be very matter of fact. If you think someone may be looking, ask them if they'd like you to show them - some say no and look away, others are interested and it helps educate them a little.

It hurts when I inject around my stomach, its like the skin is tougher there and you have to push a little firmer to pierce the skin and when I push the plunger down it stings. I checked with nurse on monday and she said because I lost a lot of weight before being diagnosed it might be that there isn't enough fatty bits there at the moment. So I've been skipping it on my rotation for the moment.

It hurts when I inject around my stomach, its like the skin is tougher there and you have to push a little firmer to pierce the skin and when I push the plunger down it stings. I checked with nurse on monday and she said because I lost a lot of weight before being diagnosed it might be that there isn't enough fatty bits there at the moment. So I've been skipping it on my rotation for the moment.

Yeah, I was like that after diagnosis - not an ounce of fat on me! I used the top of my hips, towards the back - involved a bit of twisting, but more flesh there. Can be difficult in public though. You said you had 8mm needles though - you should ask for som 6 or 5mm ones. BD have just introduced a 4mm needle, but not sure if these are available on prescription yet. Smaller needles would probably help you a little, plus pinching the skin up and trying not to tense up which will make it hurt more.

Do you inject through clothing? Not something I have done. I find that if I inject into my abdomen I get a faster absorbtion and it has caught me out before so I am an arms and legs man. (hence not wearing a dress/skirt, or shorts as the legs ain't that great!!)

I often do this and the only time I have had a problem is when wearing trousers and the site started to REALLY bleed - you know how they do sometimes - VERY messy :(! I now happily inject through skirts as I have found you can lift the relevant bit away from the injection site afterwards, but generally "go private" for trousers. (Luckily being female makes the skirt wearing a possibility. :D )

NiVZ. Thanks for that. I thought pinching was old school. Do you pinch at any site, or just abdomen. Is this to stop hitting the six pack?

When diagnosed, I was taught to pinch, but when I got a pen with smaller needles than I used with syringes, I kind of gave it up. Last September however I went on a carbohydrate counting course and they went over injection technique and said the we should still be pinching, so I have now started doing that again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back