Test strips for Optium Exceed

Status
Not open for further replies.

remrafs

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
hi, I just had a clear out of my 'diabetes drawer' and have 3 unopened packs of test strips for the Optium Exceed (expiry dates in 2011) that I no longer need (I've switched to the contour USB).

Also, 2 boxes of lancets - Abbot thin lancets 28 guage - fit the finger pricker that comes with the Optium Exceed.

If anyone needs them I'd be happy to post them to you, as I don't really want to chuck them out.🙂

What a kind offer 🙂 Bit quiet in here today, but hopefully a friend in need will be along to avail themselves! Have you changed meters?

Yes, I got the Contour USB as soon as it came out and just keep the Exceed in case I need to test for ketones. It seemed a bit silly (and a waste) to hang on to loads of test strips I don't need. I also got hold of a Multiclix finger pricker - hence the spare lancets!

Yes, I got the Contour USB as soon as it came out and just keep the Exceed in case I need to test for ketones. It seemed a bit silly (and a waste) to hang on to loads of test strips I don't need. I also got hold of a Multiclix finger pricker - hence the spare lancets!

I use a multiclix, can't imagine using anything else!

C'mon folks - free strips! 🙂

Hi, if no one else wants them I'll take them off your hands. I want to do some extra tests and they would help. However, I would rather a type 2 who can't get strips on prescription came along and said me, me,me.

Thanks
Margie

Hi, if no one else wants them I'll take them off your hands. I want to do some extra tests and they would help. However, I would rather a type 2 who can't get strips on prescription came along and said me, me,me.

Thanks
Margie

I'll leave this a few days to see if any Type 2s want them, if not, they're yours Margie! I do also have a spare Optium Exceed (only used a couple of times!) that I could include too - no instruction book though 🙂

Hi Thankyou for that.

I have 2 Exceeds so I do not need a spare, thanks anyway. Someone may be looking in who could use it to test ketones though.

How did you get hold of one?

A friend of mine recommended it to me for ketone testing. She said she phoned Abbots and they sent her one, but when I phoned them, they told me I had to either get one on prescription from the docs or buy one. So I phoned the docs, they said NO, we don't give meters on prescription only the stuff that goes with them. So I guess the next step will be the DSN, but I'm not holding out much hope, as they usually give out the One Touch meters. I haven't seen the meter in any of the parmacies either (not that I was actively looking). Online the cheapest one was ?13 incl. p+p.

I did notice you are offering one of your meters, but If I can I would like to try and get a new one first. (Hopefully for free 😉)

I had an old Abbot meter that was registered with them. Then when that got old they sent me an Exceed as a replacement.

I got the spare one from my DSN - when I thought my meter was being erratic. Since then one of them died and I rang Abbots who it was registered with and they sent me a replacement.

Yes - so have a word with your DSN.
The ketone strips are fairly expensive, so a lot of GPs won't give them out, though if you can get a meter from your DSN he/she may give you some strips. I generally use the urine strips - but get the blood ketone strips if I am taking antibiotics.

There are quite a few people on here who have managed to get free meters from manufacturers maybe they could offer some tips as to what to say to customer services.

My DSN gave me 3 Exceeds when I was first diagnosed - I think it's the standard one in our PCT. I gave one to SacredHeart a while ago, and had one I used all the time and one I kept in the car (the one I've only used a few times). I keep one for testing ketones (also, don't have a problem getting the ketone strips - it's amazing how different each area is!) but have switched to the Contour USB for all the bg testing.

If you tell Abbott that you are planning to use if for both glucose and ketone testing then they might send you one for free. they make no money on the ketone testing so they want you to use it for glucose too.

Thanks for all your replies. I just phoned the DSN and she will give me one. Our doctors have so far been very good prescribing whatever I want/need. So fingers crossed he will prescribe the ketone strips too.

I will give the main reason that C, last time she was poorly, absolutely wouldn't go to the toilet to test for ketones. This way I can test her more easily.

I'm surprised we haven't had any T2s requesting the free strips :confused: Have they gone yet? If not, I can change the title and add 'free'!

I'm surprised we haven't had any T2s requesting the free strips :confused: Have they gone yet? If not, I can change the title and add 'free'!

Maybe none of the Type 2s have this meter.

The current status (the last I heard) was to leave for a few days and then if no type 2 steps forward they are coming to me.

The current status (the last I heard) was to leave for a few days and then if no type 2 steps forward they are coming to me.

I'd love to take the strips, but I have a Bayer Contour! :D

I think that they're yours, Margie?

Andy 🙂

I'd love to take the strips, but I have a Bayer Contour! :D

I think that they're yours, Margie?

Andy 🙂

I can see people being put off accepting because they don't have the meter - but the meter is a lot cheaper (if not free!) than a single box of strips, and remraffs is offering three boxes 🙂 Not trying to take them away from margie at all, just saying! 😉

Er, good point, can you give me a couple of days. 🙄

Unfortunately my big bro has just been diagnosed with type 2 too (I'm off up to see him right now as it happens). I might suggest that he buys himself that meter and grab atleast some of the strips.

I'll get back to you.

Andy 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back