Test strips difernt results

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this expectation of accuracy may be the reason why you were having difficulty getting on with the Libre. @Docb did some testing in the normal range a while back and tested all 10 of his digits one after the other and those were in range and the variation was about 1.5mmols out between the highest and lowest (might even have been slightly more). Once you get up into mid teens the error factor is increased and it will be further out.

When you say that correction factor has worked for you before, it may be because you are in your honeymoon period and your own insulin production has helped out. It looks like the correction factor you used this time didn't work very well because you still woke up pretty high. As you get to the end of the honeymoon period, you may see more consistency with your BG levels and how you respond to insulin and hopefully this will enable you to be less anxious.
That's not the only problem I had with the libre. Like when I usually double check a second time because the results unexpected its been close enoughh they stop working(and sometimes when a double checked an inaccurate libre reading) it's been close enough(yes its was still high and not super high I think some have of vartions and what super high is(in reality even though it bothered me a bit it'ss a 12.3 probelly nothing to reallfreaksk out at) and yes it didn't work as well)

With many instruments even those costing thousands of pounds and you would be staggered at the cost of some laboratory equipment, there is a range over which you expect a certain degree of accuracy but below that it is below the capability of the instrument to detect it or if too high then it reaches saturation point and the sample would need to be diluted to bring it within the range the test is designed to be accurate.
Some instruments get round that by having a calibration for a low range and a high range but most compromise and cover the entire range with the proviso that the results will less good at the extremes.
Don't forget you are using a monitor that is in the £10-£30 range but a laboratory instrument will have most likely cost several thousand pounds so something that can give a result within 15% is pretty good.

I think this expectation of accuracy may be the reason why you were having difficulty getting on with the Libre. @Docb did some testing in the normal range a while back and tested all 10 of his digits one after the other and those were in range and the variation was about 1.5mmols out between the highest and lowest (might even have been slightly more). Once you get up into mid teens the error factor is increased and it will be further out.

When you say that correction factor has worked for you before, it may be because you are in your honeymoon period and your own insulin production has helped out. It looks like the correction factor you used this time didn't work very well because you still woke up pretty high. As you get to the end of the honeymoon period, you may see more consistency with your BG levels and how you respond to insulin and hopefully this will enable you to be less anxious.
Even mid teams when I have double checked before as close. So it's might have just been an odd moment. It only bothered me as it might different things but im going to discussed all this at my apoimentm like i said maybe I as just facterating anyway or they was somethingg else that made it go s bit doughy in that moment.

With many instruments even those costing thousands of pounds and you would be staggered at the cost of some laboratory equipment, there is a range over which you expect a certain degree of accuracy but below that it is below the capability of the instrument to detect it or if too high then it reaches saturation point and the sample would need to be diluted to bring it within the range the test is designed to be accurate.
Some instruments get round that by having a calibration for a low range and a high range but most compromise and cover the entire range with the proviso that the results will less good at the extremes.
Don't forget you are using a monitor that is in the £10-£30 range but a laboratory instrument will have most likely cost several thousand pounds so something that can give a result within 15% is pretty good.
Well that's not really good enough my oppiem epasully when giving more insulinm then needed could be potentially be dangerous. If the numbers mean the same thing then that okay but if they don't. They should make sure they callierbate at higher levels too but like said I might have not been the meter at all epasilly when double checks before have been fairly contsterate apart times wherey i have had something on my hands

Aparently contour next strips are cheaper to the nhs then ones j use(and I do have a meter) and are known to be more accurate I don't think they agree to change it.

@rebrascora is right, about the multi test I did. I worked with test results of one sort or another for most of my life and it comes as second nature to me to ask how reproducible a test result is. Thats why I did the multi finger test to get some idea of what the reproducibility might be. The three numbers you got in your initial post are just an illustration of just how reproducible blood glucose measurements can be.

If you get a high result which is very different to what you might have expected then retest. If the retest result makes more sense, then use that and ignore the high reading because it most likely was due to something on your finger. If the retest is within a couple of units of the first reading then you can assume that your blood glucose really is high and react accordingly.

A lot of people talk about the accuracy of meters. What we should talk about is the reproducibility of blood glucose measurements which is affected by many things, the meter only being one of them. The meter is not a precision instrument even though it gives numbers to a decimal place. What it does is give you information which is good enough for you to act on, be it to treat a hypo, change your diet or work out an insulin dose, and it is amazing that such a little gizmo can do that.

@rebrascora is right, about the multi test I did. I worked with test results of one sort or another for most of my life and it comes as second nature to me to ask how reproducible a test result is. Thats why I did the multi finger test to get some idea of what the reproducibility might be. The three numbers you got in your initial post are just an illustration of just how reproducible blood glucose measurements can be.

If you get a high result which is very different to what you might have expected then retest. If the retest result makes more sense, then use that and ignore the high reading because it most likely was due to something on your finger. If the retest is within a couple of units of the first reading then you can assume that your blood glucose really is high and react accordingly.

A lot of people talk about the accuracy of meters. What we should talk about is the reproducibility of blood glucose measurements which is affected by many things, the meter only being one of them. The meter is not a precision instrument even though it gives numbers to a decimal place. What it does is give you information which is good enough for you to act on, be it to treat a hypo, change your diet or work out an insulin dose, and it is amazing that such a little gizmo can do that.
No it's more the distance of 2 or more I was bothered by but looks like my correction radio might have chanced because my correction with back fast did aboustty nothing bjb

All Lucy was saying Ray, was that as your blood glucose test result gets higher, the standard correction ratio you use, will not work. She said that because it is true. Up to my test result being about 15.0 - I unit reduces my meter reading by 2.5 to 3.0. Over 15.0, I need to add 10% to the dose to get it reduce sufficiently. Most of us find this.

All Lucy was saying Ray, was that as your blood glucose test result gets higher, the standard correction ratio you use, will not work. She said that because it is true. Up to my test result being about 15.0 - I nit reduced my meter reading by 2.5 to 3.0. Over 15.0, I need to add 10% to the dose to get it reduce sufficiently. Most of us find this.
This just didn't seem to be the case for me before. It might be that radio has changed or my carb radio or my background insulin. My honeymoon might be coming to end. I used to want it end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back