Test strips difernt results

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayray119

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
She/Her
So I just randomly woke up. And I wondered if that was sign of anything so I tested and said 13.3 and then I washed my hands to double checked(now I thinking maybe not toughery endoufhh which could be what caused the confusion). And it said 17.6 I was thought no way am I that high so did it a 3rd time and it was 15.6(thats what I ended up going with. ) perperharps it was just I was fuvlstlsting or I didn't wash my hands thoughhy emouh(which im now thinkjjnf this highly likey) i I created more stuff. Maybe it's time to source control solution. I do have an appointment today I wonder if life I have some. Perherps shoulf have just gone with the first finger prick the differing results confused me a bit. On a side not I do seem to getting some what the hack highs lately

Last edited:
Are you sure it wasn’t just that your bg was high and that woke you up? Being high wakes me up to get a drink or use the loo.

Are you sure it wasn’t just that your bg was high and that woke you up? Being high wakes me up to get a drink or use the loo.
Yes that' wasn't the question. Sorry it was about the different results.

Yes that' wasn't the question. Sorry it was about the different results.
Those results are within the allowed 15% or so though. Meters aren’t 100% accurate so on the exact same blood sample, if your bg is really 15 the meter can show anywhere between 13-17. You tested on different samples and so there can be a bit more variation just from the natural differences in different samples of blood.

Those results are within the allowed 15% or so though. Meters aren’t 100% accurate so on the exact same blood sample, if your bg is really 15 the meter can show anywhere between 13-17. You tested on different samples and so there can be a bit more variation just from the natural differences in different samples of blood.
That's slightly annoying because to me it's a vast differance

Like 1 requires a half unit correction 1 requires a unit correction and the other requires a 1.5 unit correctionn. But perhaps it wasn't the meter. Other times when I doubled checked because a result was expected its been roughly the same perherps I shouldnt havent doubled checked and just gone with it.

If just 15/2 and 14.8 for example I wouldn't have thought anything off it. But perheros it was me rather then the meater

That's slightly annoying because to me it's a vast differance
That’s just how blood sugar testing works. You can’t get complete accuracy at home. You’ll probably be more insulin resistant when high too so your normal correction ratio may not work as well.

That’s just how blood sugar testing works. You can’t get complete accuracy at home. You’ll probably be more insulin resistant when high too so your normal correction ratio may not work as well.
I only correct when im high? So I don't understand this point

Yes I know i can't get complete acurrency but to me i wouldn't even consider it close enough Its a big diffance and means different things but like I said peripherys it was me rather than machine. Or I was just facurating. I can think of some things I maybe did wrong now. If the difference in numbers meant the same thing I wouldn't be so fussed. Oh well I try not to worry about too much perhaps it was just one of those things and ill try and hunt down some control soution. That's parcely why I thought about contour next before as I know there more accurate but I don't think allow me on those strips. I do have another machine I picked up in an emercay what's(aquamaxic) which uses wave sense jazz and I do have control solution for that it came with it.

Last edited:
From what I have read, meters are more accurate when lower than 5.6, but above that the accuracy is lower. (This is allowed in the ISO standard.)

From what I have read, meters are more accurate when lower than 5.6, but above that the accuracy is lower. (This is allowed in the ISO standard.)
That just sounds riddiusly to me. But like said other times I doubled checked its been close enough so perherps it was just a bizarre moment.

That just sounds riddiusly to me. But like said other times I doubled checked its been close enough so perherps it was just a bizarre moment.
Like others have said , home BG meters need to be within 15% of what a lab test would say and all three results you say have fallen within that 15%

E Like others have said , home BG meters need to be within 15% of what a lab test would say and all three results you say have fallen within that 15%
Yeah it's just frustrating when to me it means 3 different actions

I don't really see as good enough but perhaps that's me. It seems a massive difference though so I don't really understand how it's acceptable(if was my meter but it might not have been).

I only correct when im high? So I don't understand this point
It’s not a binary thing of high / not high. You might correct at say 9 because you’re slightly high, or at 15 because you’re pretty high, or at 29 because you’re severely high. The correction ratio you currently use won’t work the same for all of those.

It’s not a binary thing of high / not hi digh. You might correct at say 9 because you’re slightly high, or at 15 because you’re pretty high, or at 29 because you’re severely high. The correction ratio you currently use won’t work the same for all of those.
I don't. Correct anything below 10 and because I was about to go to bed I didn't correct an 11./

I don't. Correct anything below 10 and because I was about to go to bed I didn't correct an 11./
However, I was referring to a correction radio that has worked on these numbers.

The manufacturer of the one I use (TrueMetrix) provides details on their accuracy and shows how the error range spreads the higher the reading is. I guess it's either a technological limitation or a cost thing - they'd have to make more expensive strips and devices to make the readings more accurate? I find readings taken a short time apart can vary by around .6, which is within the limits of error. As someone said elsewhere, the decimal point is probably meaningless!

I think this expectation of accuracy may be the reason why you were having difficulty getting on with the Libre. @Docb did some testing in the normal range a while back and tested all 10 of his digits one after the other and those were in range and the variation was about 1.5mmols out between the highest and lowest (might even have been slightly more). Once you get up into mid teens the error factor is increased and it will be further out.

When you say that correction factor has worked for you before, it may be because you are in your honeymoon period and your own insulin production has helped out. It looks like the correction factor you used this time didn't work very well because you still woke up pretty high. As you get to the end of the honeymoon period, you may see more consistency with your BG levels and how you respond to insulin and hopefully this will enable you to be less anxious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back