Terribly isolated and lonely .....need some tips

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sadly no , I enjoy walking in the country though
I'm sorry to hear you are struggling but big respect to you for sharing. Great to hear you enjoy walking in the countryside. For me it is the perfect therapy to watch nature busily at work as I enjoy the fresh air. I wonder if you might enjoy birdwatching? If you visit RSPB reserves you will meet so many nice people who like to talk and share a common interest. I find it very uplifting and hope it would be for you.

If you enjoy walking, and hear me out on this, have you looked into ParkRun. I know it’s called ParkRun and for a while the name put me off, but a nephew assured me that not everyone runs or even jogs around a set 5k course and that there are plenty of walkers too. There’s hundreds of events all over the UK (and the world for that matter) that all start on Saturday mornings at 9am. It’s free to join and you get a barcode unique to you that is scanned at the end of the course to give you your time so you can see you progress as you get fitter. I found one that’s in the grounds of a National Trust house near me which has stunning views of the surrounding countryside and there are plenty others that are in parks and riverside. You don’t have to keep to the same ParkRun(Walk) either as you can attend any you like or are near. The best bits for me are that I’m exercising more which is making me feel great, I’m losing the weight I need to which is also bringing my BG down and I’ve made a couple of new friends. Everyone is so friendly and there are volunteers to guide you along, and if like me you’re at the back, will walk with you. Another suggestion is Age UK, I’ve been taking my elderly mother to some groups at our local one and I’ve been enjoying them just as much as she has, and again very friendly and welcoming. And finally there’s nationwide group called andysmanclub which you may find helpful too. Apologies for what turned out to be a very long post.

If you enjoy walking, and hear me out on this, have you looked into ParkRun. I know it’s called ParkRun and for a while the name put me off, but a nephew assured me that not everyone runs or even jogs around a set 5k course and that there are plenty of walkers too. There’s hundreds of events all over the UK (and the world for that matter) that all start on Saturday mornings at 9am. It’s free to join and you get a barcode unique to you that is scanned at the end of the course to give you your time so you can see you progress as you get fitter. I found one that’s in the grounds of a National Trust house near me which has stunning views of the surrounding countryside and there are plenty others that are in parks and riverside. You don’t have to keep to the same ParkRun(Walk) either as you can attend any you like or are near. The best bits for me are that I’m exercising more which is making me feel great, I’m losing the weight I need to which is also bringing my BG down and I’ve made a couple of new friends. Everyone is so friendly and there are volunteers to guide you along, and if like me you’re at the back, will walk with you. Another suggestion is Age UK, I’ve been taking my elderly mother to some groups at our local one and I’ve been enjoying them just as much as she has, and again very friendly and welcoming. And finally there’s nationwide group called andysmanclub which you may find helpful too. Apologies for what turned out to be a very long post.

No apology needed , your post was most helpful

No apology needed , your post was most helpful
I hope it helps and I find this forum is brilliant for help and advice and just knowing that someone is there for you to “talk” to.

Well done on reaching out, I find making friends gets more difficult as I’m getting older especially working from home.
Have you thought about volunteering in a local charity, I could imagine it would give a great deal of satisfaction knowing you’d be supporting people, quite cathartic and a chance to meet people. I’m sure there would be opportunities for any amount of spare time you could give.
The park run is also a good idea.
Hope you find something that brings you joy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back